carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 11-26-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
Pike
Realist

Cats. Claws. Clearcoat. Crying.

So we have a couple of neighborhood cats who love warm hoods to sleep on. Seems they enjoy basejumping off the hood with claws extended, leading to long 5-paw clawmarks down the clearcoat of my newly polished M3. That's from the night I accidentally forgot to put the car in the garage.

Now my roommate just picked up a shiny black WRX, and our garage is a single-car only. The cats are very pleased with a new car to torture.

Err, has anyone solved this kind of problem without resorting to euthanasia? I guess a car cover would work, but I thought that wasn't a great idea unless the car was clean prior to putting the cover on.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:12 AM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

I guess about the only thing you guys can do is have one of those clear plastic shield installed on your hoods.

I can't think of anything less that would deter cats. Sadly, use of pellet guns risks severe cosmetic damage to the cars, otherwise I'd suggest them as an alternate.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:52 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I guess about the only thing you guys can do is have one of those clear plastic shield installed on your hoods.

I can't think of anything less that would deter cats. Sadly, use of pellet guns risks severe cosmetic damage to the cars, otherwise I'd suggest them as an alternate.
So sayeth the flying squirrelman.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Get a dog. Seriously, any time a cat even comes near our house my dog goes nuts and scares them away. Otherwise I would hunt them down and return their carcasses to the owners. I can't stand people who let their pets roam the neighborhood
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 AM   #5
Roadstergal
Butting in.

One that I heard on the RF board was to put packing tape, sticky side up, on the car. Cat jumps on, gets tangled, learns fast.

Or get a car cover.

A friend of mine had a neighborhood cat puke on his black Miata when he stayed at his girl's place overnight. Etched the paint.