carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
ARCHER
Crotchety

My wife wants a MINI.

We watched The Italian Job Saturday night and now she is asking a lot of questions about the little buggers.

Now there's a family car if ever I saw one!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
dan
redefined

:smile:
Old 10-28-2003, 05:19 PM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

Re: My wife wants a MINI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
We watched The Italian Job Saturday night and now she is asking a lot of questions about the little buggers.

I need to go drive one.

I have thought of getting one as a commuter. But that would mean selling the M3/4.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:

I need to go drive one.

I have thought of getting one as a commuter. But that would mean selling the M3/4.
I've thought of doing the same thing. I commute 100 miles per day. I'm putting a lot of miles on an oldish car that is about to go out of warranty. I think I've gotten used to the power of the M3 though, and I don't think I would enjoy the Mini as much.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:24 PM   #5
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:

I need to go drive one.

I've thought of doing the same thing. I commute 100 miles per day. I'm putting a lot of miles on an oldish car that is about to go out of warranty. I think I've gotten used to the power of the M3 though, and I don't think I would enjoy the Mini as much.
I think the power to weight ratio on the Mini (Cooper S) will make it quick, but not nearly as fast as our cars. However, I think the lightness and nimbleness would go a long way to offsetting any speed disparity in terms of overall driving enjoyment. In other words, it might not be as fast, but it would be just as fun.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:24 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:

I need to go drive one.

Believe it or not, after driving one you might be OK with that. The things drive like a 3/4 scale M3. They're not fast, particularly, but the Cooper S has enough grunt to get out of its own way. Fortunately, they don't have enough power to make torque steer an issue.

The Cooper S is one of the few cars I've ever driven that actually made me giggle the whole time I was doing the test drive (the other was the first time I drove a Miata). It drives like a roller skate. I came this close >< to enduring the wait, but decided to go with the GTI instead because it was bigger, cheaper and sitting on the lot.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #7
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I need to go drive one.

I have been dying to drive a CS.

The problem is that it would have to be a third car, and if I buy a third, it will be something with utility (i.e. a beater Tacoma).
Old 10-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I need to go drive one.

I have been dying to drive a CS.

The problem is that it would have to be a third car, and if I buy a third, it will be something with utility (i.e. a beater Tacoma).
Or a Saab Aero wagon? :P
Old 10-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

I think the power to weight ratio on the Mini (Cooper S) will make it quick, but not nearly as fast as our cars. However, I think the lightness and nimbleness would go a long way to offsetting any speed disparity in terms of overall driving enjoyment. In other words, it might not be as fast, but it would be just as fun.
I'll have to try it out. I'd also be giving up what little utility I gained by buying a four-door M3. Unlike some people, we don't have a station wagon to make up for the Mini's lack of space.

We are in the market for a second car though, and hopefully I can convince the female that she wants one. I have a feeling that if we got one, I'd be the one driving it though, as she LOVES the M3.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #10
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

I'll have to try it out. I'd also be giving up what little utility I gained by buying a four-door M3. Unlike some people, we don't have a station wagon to make up for the Mini's lack of space.

We are in the market for a second car though, and hopefully I can convince the female that she wants one. I have a feeling that if we got one, I'd be the one driving it though, as she LOVES the M3.
My wife loved my car unlike I went "one mod too far" in her opinion.

She now thinks it's too hard to drive around town in traffic with two kids in the back seat. You really do have to concentrate a bit more in order to drive it smoothly and the ride is a good bit harsher than stock. The flywheel chatter is only icing on the cake.