carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-22-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Mr Paddle.Shift
Track Addict.

List the items/parts you bought and never got to use as much

1. K&N recharge kit $12.00

originally for my Dinan CAI filter. What a waste of $12.00. Used once and it was a hassle.

2. X5 4.6 rear sway bushings. $4.00

So I told Kaz that these rubber ones might fit on our 24mm RD rear sway. We are both tired of the urethane squeaking every 4~5months or so. I ordered them and they are not even close.

3. Amber reflectors $4.00

When I ordered my clears from Circle BMW 2 years ago, the parts guy insisted that I needed to get the reflectors cos it's the LAW. The reflectors are somewhere in the store room. Probably seen daylight once.

4. Griots Car Duster $20?

Don't even know why I bought this. Used twice. Didn't quite like it. Not Griot's fault. I was being foolish. Car gets dusty in LA every single second. What's the use of dusting anyway?

5. Diaper cloths $4

Not for me. Don't have kids either. I bought these from PepBoys. Don't stone me just yet. I wasn't thinking when I stepped into the store at 7am on my way to wash the car. Now the diaper cloths are used to clean the hamster cage. Bleh.

6. T-30 socket $3.50 or so

Ah...why do I need this? Some paddle-shift customers have the 4-spoke wheel. Way to release the airbag is to use a T-30 bit. This Craftman socket has a fat base that couldn't fit into the hole on the back of the steering wheel. I tried using it but never once successfully. Waste of money. I ended up accomplishing the job with another similar bit without the base.

7. Euro First aid kit $25?

Gotta be careful here. Not that I am looking forward to using this. But once Lin had a cut on her thumb. First intuition was to look for a plaster in my wallet, not look under the passenger's seat for the first aid kit. Strange. It's been there for so long that I don't even remember it exists!

8. Sparco Neck Collar $80!!!

Thought I really needed this. Tried it California Speedway and didn't like it. Went to Buttonwillow and tried again, still don't like it. Lent it to Andy WRX (friend of mine) and he didn't like it! I wore it around the house while watching TV, reading, eating...still I can't get used to it. So...it's official that this is not a very likable item. Argh!

EDIT
9. Airhorns $35

Raffi had a group buy with this. Bought it then decided not to install. It occupied my storage space for 2.5 months before I sold to James. Phew.

And many many more..... I need another day to compile...
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
The HACK
Crotchety

Rear foglight LCM console...Bought it, still intend on installing rear fogs but too freakin' busy to install. Been sitting in my car ever since.

Rear bumper guide rail...FINALLY installed it this past weekend. I broke my guide rail a long time ago, just the part that the fender attaches to. Bought a new one but never installed it. Last weekend when I put on my factory aero bumpers I finally decided enough is enough...Just to find out I need one of those square metal tabs that the screw attach to.

2.5 ton cheapo-jack...Now that I have the AC Hydraulics, this thing never sees any use. I'm thinking of giving it to Stuka.

Griots Undercarriage spray...Good product, have no use for it.

Griots carnauba paste wax...Excellent product. Only used it on the BBS wheels. Haven't had time to detail all three car with this stuff.

14mm hex key bit, 1/4" drive...Thought it would be nice to have to adjust the bumper height. Adjusted it once. Never used again.

UUC Delrin shift carrier bushing...Came with the kit. Installation was going to be too hard so I never bothered...Although I installed it on everyone else's car.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
SpaceMonk
Jaded

I've bought a neck collar that I haven't even used. So far, my helmet hasn't bothered me, even with two days in a row at the track following an autocross this past weekend. I didn't spend that much though. aranoid:

I'm sure there's plenty more, I just have to think about it...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
dan
redefined

car duster here too.

dumb.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
car duster here too.

dumb.
Duster is great used 3x/week. Keeps the car cleaner/ shinier between washings.
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
Mr Paddle.Shift
Track Addict.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. I am beginning to hope that this thread will somehow help each other find the items/parts we might need in exchange.

Bonoboy, that car duster is just occupying space in the corner. If only I can shrink it into a penny size.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

-Urethane bushings for my stock M3 sway bars - decided ride is harsh enough

-UUC delrin clutch arm bushings - intimidated by the install process and too cheap to pay someone else to do it

-VEN4 line in adapter - sold E46 before I got a chance to "fix" the stereo

BTW, I'd happily part with any of these items. Make me an offer.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Ditto on the duster.

Since I'm realtively new to this level of auto enthusiasm, I don't have unused car stuff.

But I've got a boatload of computer parts and software that I've purchased over the years that has never seen the light of day.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
Doug

I hate to say it but I've used everything I've bought for my cars. I do a lot of research prior to getting anything.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #10
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
List the items/parts you bought and never got to use as much.
o Three "oddments trays", all identical except for BMW part numbers, that allegedly fit my 17" spare tire (they do, but very loosely - I'm thinking of having some made and selling 'em), along with the assorted cone inserts and wing nuts.

o Various replacement trim pices for the hatch opening, which were broken from the factory. I just haven't gotten up the energy to disassemble the car enough to install 'em.

o Various brackets for the electronics bay - TV / phone / PDC bracket and some others I don't recognize off-hand.

o A bunch of extra cupholders left over from my illuminated cupholder project.

o A CPT8000 eject box, bought when I was going to replace the one the dealer broke instead of converting back to cupholders.

o A Euro LCM, minus faceplate (I used the faceplate for my rear fog project).

o Many original parts removed when I upgraded (wood trim, non-M steering wheel, manual folding mirrors, and so forth).

o California car duster.

o Several bins of many assorted BMW screws, clips, and electrical parts - here's a sample:

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote