carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

View Poll Results: Where should power window switches go?
1. Center console 21 84.00%
2. Driver's door 3 12.00%
3. No, neither, it should be buried in the iDrive menu. 0 0%
4. Other - please explain 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
Masskrug
Jaded

Power window switches

I personally think the RIGHT place for them is the center console. I am much more used to keeping the right hand free to shift, adjust climate/radio, open/shut windows, pull e-brake for power slide.

My X5 has them stupidly on the door. It is counterintuitive to use the left hand, normally firmly fastened on the steering wheel, to perform this function.

From what I can see, all the new model BMW's seem to be doing this. (where are they on TD's new Saab?)

What do YOU think?
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

Re: Power window switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masskrug
I personally think the RIGHT place for them is the center console. I am much more used to keeping the right hand free to shift, adjust climate/radio, open/shut windows, pull e-brake for power slide.

My X5 has them stupidly on the door. It is counterintuitive to use the left hand, normally firmly fastened on the steering wheel, to perform this function.

From what I can see, all the new model BMW's seem to be doing this. (where are they on TD's new Saab?)

What do YOU think?
All older BMWs have them in the correct place (center console) but, as you said, the newer ones are doing the "mainstream" thing of putting them on the door.

The Saab has them in the center.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Your X5 is supposed to have an automatic transmission, thus allowing you to freely choose which hand is off the wheel, and leaving your left hand free to operate the windows.

Please return to the dealership at your convenience, as there is a defect in your vehicle. Your BMW Center will promptly replace the transmission with an automatic version, enabling you to operate the windows while you drive.

-BMW Customer Relations.

Old 10-19-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Maybe, due to my driving "mainstream" cars for so long before the bimmer, that it is just habit for me to want them on the door, but I also find that having them around the center console requires too much extra movements to get all the windows open/closed. Now if they would just give us a master one-touch up/down switch that ran all the windows, then it wouldn't matter so much.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Masskrug
Jaded

Re: Power window switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

The Saab has them in the center.

Nice.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
Your X5 is supposed to have an automatic transmission, thus allowing you to freely choose which hand is off the wheel, and leaving your left hand free to operate the windows.

Please return to the dealership at your convenience, as there is a defect in your vehicle. Your BMW Center will promptly replace the transmission with an automatic version, enabling you to operate the windows while you drive.

-BMW Customer Relations.

Heheheheh.

Sadly if this were true, it would likely add to the resale value of the vehicle.

Not that I would care, as 'the pig' is gonna get pounded into the ground by my family.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Bruce330cic
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Tesla Model 3 LR
I love having them on the center console. That's just where they should be in a BMW. Our 1988 528e has them there too.
Bruce330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:35 PM   #8
kognito
older fart than ZBB

good poll!! they belong in the middle.

I can switch between driving a stick, and a slushie 10-15 times a week, and I never miss a shift, or move my left foot when I'm driving a slushie.

But in my Trailblazer, I always reach for the center console when I want to open the window
Old 10-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
claresecl
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Maybe, due to my driving "mainstream" cars for so long before the bimmer, that it is just habit for me to want them on the door, but I also find that having them around the center console requires too much extra movements to get all the windows open/closed. Now if they would just give us a master one-touch up/down switch that ran all the windows, then it wouldn't matter so much.
I agree with you. I have had my car since the end of June, and I still have to search around when I want to open a window!

Vroom!
claresecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:42 PM   #10
Mathew
Crotchety

Center.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote