carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Tire hopping

I've noticed that the rear RE-040's are close to the replacement level, while the fronts still probably have another 20k miles left in them.

So I'm lining up the candidates for suitable replacement of the rears.

The stock rear setup is 255/35/18, and I'd like to continue with that same fitment for the replacements.

According to Tire Rack the following are possible choices:

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport $152
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 $198
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R $275
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position $250
Bridgestone Potenza RE040 $275
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport $184
Continental ContiSportContact 2 $250
Continental ContiSportContact 3 $257
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec $229
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx $194
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 $167
General Exclaim UHP $159
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric $224
Hankook Ventus S1 evo $183
Kumho Ecsta ASX $161
Michelin Pilot Sport $287
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 $308
Pirelli PZero $288
Pirelli PZero Nero $235
Pirelli PZero Rosso $285
Sumitomo HTR Z III $169
Yokohama ADVAN Sport $224
Yokohama S.drive $173

Considering the fearsome pace I put on the stock tires in 5 years (I have just under 20k miles on the car) I'd say that price is not a leading factor in my choice, and since it's ostensibly been reduced to weekend warrior status dry handling is paramount, but wet handling (rain) can't reek.

But that doesn't mean that value isn't a consideration. For example, while PS2's may be $308 and Kumho's $161 are the PS2's that vastly superior overall to justify paying $300 more for the pair?

Also, road noise needs to be within tolerable limits (at least to mid-life anyway). Oddball characteristics such as Tramlining (which the RE-040's are fierce for) etc, are low on the totem pole.

I'd prefer to go with Eagle F1 GS D3's, which I've been more than satisfied with on the Touring, but unfortunately they don't come in the stock rear fitment for the ZHP.

And I wouldn't be against the stock RE-040's again. In my experience they've exhibited great balance in all traits (other than the previously noted tramlining), which makes it an almost perfect choice for the ZHP.

However, I kind of want to try something new, and so right now I'm leaning towards either the F1 Asymmetric's or the Bridgestone RE-01R's.

But since I have some time before I need to hop on it I'm not committed to any choice at the moment.

Anyone have direct experience with either the Asymmetic's, RE-01R's or any of the other prospects on the above list?
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I've noticed that the rear RE-040's are close to the replacement level, while the fronts still probably have another 20k miles left in them.

So I'm lining up the candidates for suitable replacement of the rears.

The stock rear setup is 255/35/18, and I'd like to continue with that same fitment for the replacements.

According to Tire Rack the following are possible choices:

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport $152
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 $198
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R $275
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position $250
Bridgestone Potenza RE040 $275
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport $184
Continental ContiSportContact 2 $250
Continental ContiSportContact 3 $257
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec $229
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx $194
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 $167
General Exclaim UHP $159
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric $224
Hankook Ventus S1 evo $183
Kumho Ecsta ASX $161
Michelin Pilot Sport $287
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 $308
Pirelli PZero $288
Pirelli PZero Nero $235
Pirelli PZero Rosso $285
Sumitomo HTR Z III $169
Yokohama ADVAN Sport $224
Yokohama S.drive $173
Yikes.

Of the above options, the Dunlop Z1 and Bridgestone RE-01R are in a different league in terms of dry grip. That said, supposedly the Dunlops are also great in the rain. I would probably try the Z1... but keep in mind that a sticky tire like that is going to be noisier on the road, tramline more, pick up more gravel...

I haven't liked any of the BFG tires I've ever had, so I'd skip them. I haven't liked any of the Michelins I've ever had, so I'd skip them as well. The Hankook is a tempting option given the price. The Kumho ASX is really not up to the dry grip or feel standards as the rest of the tires there. Same with the Sumi HTR-Z.

My vote is for the Star Specs
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Yikes.

Of the above options, the Dunlop Z1 and Bridgestone RE-01R are in a different league in terms of dry grip. That said, supposedly the Dunlops are also great in the rain. I would probably try the Z1... but keep in mind that a sticky tire like that is going to be noisier on the road, tramline more, pick up more gravel...

I haven't liked any of the BFG tires I've ever had, so I'd skip them. I haven't liked any of the Michelins I've ever had, so I'd skip them as well. The Hankook is a tempting option given the price. The Kumho ASX is really not up to the dry grip or feel standards as the rest of the tires there. Same with the Sumi HTR-Z.

My vote is for the Star Specs
Thanks for the response JV. I'd never heard of this tire before today, but here's what Tire Rack says about it:

The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is Dunlop's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan enthusiasts looking for race tire-like traction on the street or for use in autocross, drifting and track events. The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is for drivers who don’t want to wait as long for their tires to come in during initial runs, as well as drivers of lighter weight vehicles who are often confronted with the task of working tire temperatures up to the point of generating peak grip.

What We Liked: We liked it all – handling, dry grip and especially wet traction
(On a Scale of 1 to 10)
What We'd Improve: A small improvement in ride quality
Ride Comfort7.15
Conclusion: A new Extreme Performance Summer star is born
Noise Comfort7.2
Latest Test Rank: 1st
Dry Track8.64
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested
Wet Track7.57

Overall7.8

I'll need to look into this tire a bit more, including the TR's reviews on it.

At $229 per tire it's at a decent price point, too.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Thanks for the response JV. I'd never heard of this tire before today, but here's what Tire Rack says about it:

The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is Dunlop's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for serious sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan enthusiasts looking for race tire-like traction on the street or for use in autocross, drifting and track events. The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is for drivers who don’t want to wait as long for their tires to come in during initial runs, as well as drivers of lighter weight vehicles who are often confronted with the task of working tire temperatures up to the point of generating peak grip.

What We Liked: We liked it all – handling, dry grip and especially wet traction
(On a Scale of 1 to 10)
What We'd Improve: A small improvement in ride quality
Ride Comfort7.15
Conclusion: A new Extreme Performance Summer star is born
Noise Comfort7.2
Latest Test Rank: 1st
Dry Track8.64
Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested
Wet Track7.57

Overall7.8

I'll need to look into this tire a bit more, including the TR's reviews on it.

At $229 per tire it's at a decent price point, too.
It's currently one of the hot tires for Street Tire class autocrossing. It fits your bill.

...but just buying a pair of them for the rear will probably significantly increase understeer.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
It's currently one of the hot tires for Street Tire class autocrossing. It fits your bill.

...but just buying a pair of them for the rear will probably significantly increase understeer.
Good point.

I really hate to have to fork out for a set of fronts when the existing Bridgestone's have lots of tread life left, but I just noticed this additional note about the Star Spec on the TR site:

NOTE: The Tire Rack recommends installing Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires in sets of four to fully realize the benefits of the Star Spec tread compound. While the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec can be mixed with its predecessor in axle pairs if necessary, it is recommended that the treads be shaved to the equivalent tread depth of the existing tires.

Like heck if I'm gonna shave about half of it off so it matches the fronts.

If I just go with the Star Spec rears and keep the front Stoners is there anything I can do to counteract the increased understeer (e.g. playing with tire pressure, etc.)?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Good point.

I really hate to have to fork out for a set of fronts when the existing Bridgestone's have lots of tread life left, but I just noticed this additional note about the Star Spec on the TR site:

NOTE: The Tire Rack recommends installing Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires in sets of four to fully realize the benefits of the Star Spec tread compound. While the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec can be mixed with its predecessor in axle pairs if necessary, it is recommended that the treads be shaved to the equivalent tread depth of the existing tires.

Like heck if I'm gonna shave about half of it off so it matches the fronts.

If I just go with the Star Spec rears and keep the front Stoners is there anything I can do to counteract the increased understeer (e.g. playing with tire pressure, etc.)?
Not really. I mean, I guess you could massively overinflate them. The Star Specs are part of a class of tires that are intended to be as absolutely close as possible to r-compounds without the need for a DOT-R certification. You want a lower grip tire if you're just buying a pair.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
ff

Quote:
You want a lower grip tire if you're just buying a pair.
I'm the opposite of what you'd call an expert on tires. But that's the answer I would've given too. Just seems like common sense that you'd want the front and rear tires to provide roughly the same amount of grip (well, ignoring the safety factors that prompt carmakers to design their cars to understeer).
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
The Star Specs are part of a class of tires that are intended to be as absolutely close as possible to r-compounds without the need for a DOT-R certification.
And for that reason, I'd really look at something else for a casually driven street car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
dan
redefined

I'd go with the Sumitomo. Cheap, and it's not like you're going to the track/autoX with it. Heck, it's only a ZHP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
And for that reason, I'd really look at something else for a casually driven street car.
Well, I wouldn't say I drive "casually, but since I think you mean for non-HP or Auto-X events you are correct.

I might be nuts, but that doesn't mean I'm crazy. This tire is probably beyond anything I would ever come close to being able to challenge on public roads.

I imagine if I had a 135 and wanted to ditch the RFT's the Star Specs would be a decent match.

But for the two tire swap maybe it's best if I just went with Asymmetrics or RE-O1R.

Sorry for the waffling, but I've never had to replace two tires before. With the exception of the extreme-weight-over-the-front-wheels Escape the wear bars are usually pretty even for my rigs.

So this is new territory for me.

I might even just decide to go for a 4 tire swap and be done with it.

I'm sure before too long this thread will be forced to be moved to the Perseverator's Forum.