carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Ed, stop, NOW!!!

Oy......

It's two years now with the ZHP and I'm getting the itch.

I like the car very much, but I don't love it.

It's a wonderful car, fun to drive, comfortable, has room, is relatively economical - it's a fantastically balanced package of goodies, perhaps the best E46 convertible ever made.

Maybe that's the problem, it's just too good - not special enough.

One of the girls at the animal shelter where I volunteer got an S2000 earlier this summer. I look at it every week when I go in (I look at her too, but that's another story)- it's an exciting car, it's got two seats, makes a lot of noise and is hard to get in and out of (relatively speaking), but it's the kind of car I'd consider taking out for a midnight drive - winter or summer.

I don't know, just thinking out loud guys, and since this is a car site, I figured why not ...

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
When I was unhappy with the M3, I went on a lot of test drives. They usually ended up with me saying "I really like my car a lot better than that one - I am glad I took that test drive, it just saved me a bunch of money." Then I drove the CTS-V, but that's another story.

Drive it. You might find out you still really like your ZHP.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Strange Ed... Funnily enough I spent the last week thinking about selling my little croc. The n52 330i is so good, I got tuned into it and frankly, on paper, it does 80-90% of the cayman. 20% better mpgs, 20% more weight, tons more space and 80% the speed, not a bad formula.

But tonight (look at the timestamp of the post), I just got back from a Kolsch festival at Loreley (a favorite german spot on Rivington). Second gear and windows down in the Holland Tunnel, home in 15 mins, VROOOM!! Sound, feel and fun go a long way.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Strange Ed... Funnily enough I spent the last week thinking about selling my little croc. The n52 330i is so good, I got tuned into it and frankly, on paper, it does 80-90% of the cayman. 20% better mpgs, 20% more weight, tons more space and 80% the speed, not a bad formula.

But tonight (look at the timestamp of the post), I just got back from a Kolsch festival at Loreley (a favorite german spot on Rivington). Second gear and windows down in the Holland Tunnel, home in 15 mins, VROOOM!! Sound, feel and fun go a long way.
I know what you mean, I know.....

The thing is, the Honda's so cheap, I could buy it AND a Fit - I'd probably do an auto with the Fit so my wife could drive it for garden hauling duty and I could take the Infiniti when I needed to go distances.

Then the S2k becomes a fun third car primarily intended for summer use.

I noticed the S2k club here in New England is very active (unlike the relatively lame BMW chapter here in CT) holding meets, cruises and track days all summer into fall.

I don't know, my car's awfully nice though - RWG's right, I've got to try an S2k again and/or find a way to regain some ZHP love.

I hate it when I this kind of thing gets in my head. :arghh:
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I've been meaning to test drive that car (S2K) for a long time. I definitely will next year. I've also started to lose that lovin' feelin' for my ZHP. It's still great, but I think it's time to move on to something else. I won't hijack Ed's thread with my waffling (which is actually mostly settled now).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I've been meaning to test drive that car (S2K) for a long time. I definitely will next year. I've also started to lose that lovin' feelin' for my ZHP. It's still great, but I think it's time to move on to something else. I won't hijack Ed's thread with my waffling (which is actually mostly settled now).
Hijack away, that's the point
Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Hijack away, that's the point
Twist my arm... I've got a meeting and then lunch (my shed is allegedly being installed right now at home), so I'll chime in in the pm.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Twist my arm... I've got a meeting and then lunch (my shed is allegedly being installed right now at home), so I'll chime in in the pm.
You shouldn't be driving S2000s when you can have something immensely more satisfying
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
You shouldn't be driving S2000s when you can have something immensely more satisfying
A Bugatti Veyron?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I said immensely more satisfying, not immensely more ugly.

Although...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote