carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-29-2024, 07:17 AM   #5911
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
This was my salesman's follow up to my passing on his offer: A couple of interesting tidbits - .2 = late fall 2024 introduction - I wonder if colors will be added in Feb through April for the end of the .1 run? Staged introduction of base and GTS first followed by others in 2025.

I just want you to know what we know about the .2. When it is introduced late fall this year. The base Carrera’s and the GTS will be the first to be introduced.

Then sometime in 2025 the other models will follow. Here is what we know.

The base Carrera’s will have a boost in performance, but the GTS will go to a mild hybrid and manual will not be offered due to how the electric motor is between the

transmission and motor. Now here is where the grey area comes in. The .2 ‘S’ models. will they be a mild hybrid or not. We have not been informed either way. The

thinking is that since the GTS is a boosted ‘S’ model, it wouldn’t be a surprise if when the ‘S’ comes out it is also a mild hybrid which would also eliminate the manual transmission.

I just want you to have all the information so you can make the best decision for you. Sorry that I don’t have anything in concrete at this point. Let me know your thoughts.
This all seems to be holding true, including the delays, late fall intro, etc.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:12 PM   #5912
SCA
Jaded

Much of the speculation on Rennlist seems to be that the S and the GTS will no longer offer a manual and the GTS will possibly have the rumored 3.6 NA with 48v (HEV). The GTS is pretty much known to be a HEV. The 3.0 turbo engine will be the same as it currently is, but with a small hp (10-15) bump in the base & S. As we know the base Carrera does not currently receive the manual. There is speculation that could potentially change for the .2 which would alleviate the need for the T and there is there further speculation on RL as well amongst Porsche brand ambassadors with decades of experience that the T will not be offered for the .2. This is primarily based upon the T only being offered on one iteration of the 991, the 991.2.

We will see the 992.2 in June/July. Mid-June seems to be the likely date. No new colors for the .1. 992.1 allocations have already been distributed for July 2024 production.

Edit: Xpel 10 mil PPF and ExoShield were installed on the T this week.

Last edited by SCA; 03-29-2024 at 10:45 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:41 PM   #5913
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
We will see the 992.2 in June/July. Mid-June seems to be the likely date. No new colors for the .1. 992.1 allocations have already been distributed for July 2024 = production.

Edit: Xpel 10 mil PPF and ExoShield were installed on the T this week.
Good news on the Xpel …. What parts did you do ?

When you say June/July for the 992.2 you’re talking about allocations correct and if so then delivery would be around November on the East Coast ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:44 PM   #5914
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good news on the Xpel …. What parts did you do ?

When you say June/July for the 992.2 you’re talking about allocations correct and if so then delivery would be around November on the East Coast ?

 ​ “Track pack” equals full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover, rocker panels, mirrors, A pillars and a little bit of the roof above the top of the windshield. Per previous experience PPF tends to be a total waste of money as few appear to recoup any of it at the time of a private party sale or dealer trade. Even my Porsche SA feels it is a waste of money, but they send a lot of Porsches to the shop that installs PPF a few roads over from the dealership. PPF is great for the next owner though. The physician that purchased my former X5 can attest to that.

992.2 reveal. Production for U.S. models will not commence until late summer/early fall and they not arrive stateside for launch until allegedly Q1 2025. I am beginning to doubt that as I feel it will be sometime during Q4 2024. This info is from my friend that works at the PCNA service center in Atlanta. It is not 100% official, but it is what’s spreading around internally.

Keep in mind that there will still be 992.1 models produced alongside dot twos as this has been done in the past. It will not be a full, instant switch to 992.2.

Edit: Oh! The delay is still effect. This is why we keep seeing photos and videos of plenty of .2 mules being tested at the end of March 2024. The issue discovered still has not been fully resolved.

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #5915
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
 ​ “Track pack” equals full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover, rocker panels, mirrors, A pillars and a little bit of the roof above the top of the windshield. Per previous experience PPF tends to be a total waste of money as few appear to recoup any of it at the time of a private party sale or dealer trade.
This is the same as I did with the C8 though I also did what they call the boomerangs which is the black things on the doors.

I would agree that you don't need to do the whole car but in the case of the 911 I would do the rear hips, I noticed on mine I had a lot of rock chips in the part just in front of the rear wheel. I don't know if they still have the factory stone guard film on the 992 like the 991 had but it was really not even close enough to protect that area.

Also right behind the rear wheels, the fender gets chipped up, on the C8 I have the Factory splash guards on both the front and rear and it really helps protect the car and you don't even notice they are there because they blend into the car.

BTW I see the same area on my Cayman getting some chips though not nearly as bad as the 911 ...
Old 03-30-2024, 10:02 AM   #5916
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is the same as I did with the C8 though I also did what they call the boomerangs which is the black things on the doors.

I would agree that you don't need to do the whole car but in the case of the 911 I would do the rear hips, I noticed on mine I had a lot of rock chips in the part just in front of the rear wheel. I don't know if they still have the factory stone guard film on the 992 like the 991 had but it was really not even close enough to protect that area.

Also right behind the rear wheels, the fender gets chipped up, on the C8 I have the Factory splash guards on both the front and rear and it really helps protect the car and you don't even notice they are there because they blend into the car.

BTW I see the same area on my Cayman getting some chips though not nearly as bad as the 911 ...

The rear hips are fully covered with the rocker panel piece. It is one piece. After install they install a new piece of film similar to the film from the factory on top so you have double protection on the wide bodied hips. It generally works well with the 8 mil film, but with the 10 mil there is a lot going on so we are going to have to revisit that and come up with a better solution as I do not like the way it looks. I am also going to add the full roof PPF as I do not like the 1/4 line above the windshield and A pillars. It is highly visible every time I open the driver or passengers door and it drives me nuts! Again, this is due to the film being thicker at 10 mm.

I have nearly 400 miles on the odometer. The car was delivered with 36. It arrived from Port Jacksonville with 32 miles. We are planning to run it up to the Smokies today as it is supposed to be a beautiful beautiful day with mid 70s temps.

So… I guess the big question is am I in love with it? Not really… overall it is just okay. If my ownership makes it passed the break-in period we will see if my opinion changes, but having to stay below 4000 RPMs for nearly 2000 miles is killing me! I will state that it is absolutely mind blowing how well the rear end stays planted in some tight twisties. The short shifter from the GTS is brilliant. The EPS is crisp/sharp. One would be hard pressed to know it is not hydraulic.

Edit: If I had to choose between my 997.2 Carrera and the 992.1 Carrera T, I would hands-down select the 997 every time. I still greatly prefer the size of a 997 as well as it being naturally aspirated and fully analog. If the next Gen 911 (994) grows more than the 992 I cannot foresee ever owning one.

Porsche 994-generation car due to debut in 2028 as the successor to the 992.

https://drives.today/news/1277/futur...e-911-994.html

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:28 AM   #5917
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
 ​ “Track pack” equals full hood, full front fenders, full front bumper cover, rocker panels, mirrors, A pillars and a little bit of the roof above the top of the windshield.
I did the "Track pack" on the 718. I liked that in included a portion of film on the rear bumper behind the wheels. It also covered the side intake areas, which can get beat up from the front tires.

As far as PPF, I am convert but I will only do it on cars I plan to keep for a while, are "special," particularly if they will be driven in the highway.

I learned my lesson with the F80. The moment I started driving it in the highway chips started appearing everywhere. This is the case particularly if driven in the winter even when dry.

But on more utilitarian cars I would not bother. The GTI did not get PPF, for exmaple. Sure it has some chips, but it is a commuter hatchback, so I just touch up the bad spots and move on. Same with the LR4.

The 718 and Mini we plan to keep forever, so we covered them. I would also have covered the M5 given that it's a nice car that I plan to drive year round. Lucky for me, the PO went full PPF on that one, and to your point, definitely did not get his money back (although understandably, it was prominently advertised). I do not think I got much of my PPF dollars back if at all when I sold the F80.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:40 AM   #5918
SCA
Jaded

I have got that little piece that runs from the back of the rear wheel well to underneath the rear bumper cover as well. Nice little bonus. They did the door cups as well, which I had forgotten to request.

I was driving mostly on two lane backroads and I intentionally backed off on my following vehicles ahead of me and I still picked up some small rock chips. I have yet to have this thing on any highway/interstate, but that is about to change today.

Porsche UNI paint (non-metallic) is exceptionally soft. Keep in mind Shark Blue is just VW Cornflower Blue (D5C) renamed.

I originally believed that I would keep this car indefinitely, but currently I do not foresee that happening. So $3200 PPF flushed. It should make it easier to sell private party, but adds zero value if I pre-trade at my Porsche dealer.

Pic at pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8923.HEIC.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	903.8 KB
ID:	17127  

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:44 AM   #5919
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The rear hips are fully covered with the rocker panel piece. It is one piece. After install they install a new piece of film similar to the film from the factory on top so you have double protection on the wide bodied hips. It generally works well with the 8 mil film, but with the 10 mil there is a lot going on so we are going to have to revisit that and come up
That is interesting, I did not know there was a choice of width on the PPF ... I don't know I what have but truthfully I cannot tell my car even has PPF. Also being I have a targa roof there is no seam on the roof to notice.

Do you have a Sunroof because it looks like there is a panel in front of it and I would be surprised you could notice the PPF.

Quote:

So… I guess the big question is am I in love with it? Not really… overall it is just okay. If my ownership makes it passed the break-in period we will see if my opinion changes, but having to stay below 4000 RPMs for nearly 2000 miles is killing me!
Do you really need to keep it below 4,000 RPM'S ? While I do follow some break in guidelines there is no way I am adhering to a 2,000 mile break in if I end up with the 992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I learned my lesson with the F80. The moment I started driving it in the highway chips started appearing everywhere. This is the case particularly if driven in the winter even when dry.
I learned my lesson first on the R8, it had perfect paint when I bought it with only one tiny chip on a rear fender, one day I'm on the expressway and a truck was spilling sand and tiny rocks all over the place, I ended up with at least 50 rock chips (probably more) on the front bumper and hood ... it was a mess.

The 911 went through something similar but the result was not nearly as bad though I wasn't happy it still had some chips.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:57 AM   #5920
SCA
Jaded

Alan, no sunroof. Slicktop.

I do not want to rock the break-in boat because I know 100% that Porsche can internally see rev ranges on all cars via dealership diagnostics. It is no secret. Edit: They have had the ability to see this info for quite some time, but the amount of information that they can now see is absolutely astounding.

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 11:21 AM.