carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-09-2024, 10:26 AM   #5541
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I just got this response today from my email of Dec 10th...
Thanks but no thanks
It does re-confirm the discussions throughout this thread of colors leaving, lack of PTS, etc.

Hi Josh,

Happy New Year! Unfortunately Aventurine Green will be discontinued after February production. I was just informed that I have

an April production slot available for you if you still want to move ahead with an order. PTS is not available currently

and doesn’t look to be for the balance of the model year.

Let me know when you can so we can get a build put together for you.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #5542
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I just got this response today from my email of Dec 10th...
Thanks but no thanks
It does re-confirm the discussions throughout this thread of colors leaving, lack of PTS, etc.

Hi Josh,

Happy New Year! Unfortunately Aventurine Green will be discontinued after February production. I was just informed that I have

an April production slot available for you if you still want to move ahead with an order. PTS is not available currently

and doesn’t look to be for the balance of the model year.

Let me know when you can so we can get a build put together for you.
It is very disappointing.

Personally, I walked the dealership and talked myself into saying Gentian Blue is fine. It looks okay on cars and if PTS isn’t an option, I feel stuck also.

What is driving me is a distrust that a manual drivetrain will be available in compelling 911 models in the 992.2 production run. just to explain why I can live with a suboptimal color.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:54 PM   #5543
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
It is very disappointing.

Personally, I walked the dealership and talked myself into saying Gentian Blue is fine. It looks okay on cars and if PTS isn’t an option, I feel stuck also.

What is driving me is a distrust that a manual drivetrain will be available in compelling 911 models in the 992.2 production run. just to explain why I can live with a suboptimal color.
This was my salesman's follow up to my passing on his offer: A couple of interesting tidbits - .2 = late fall 2024 introduction - I wonder if colors will be added in Feb through April for the end of the .1 run? Staged introduction of base and GTS first followed by others in 2025.

I just want you to know what we know about the .2. When it is introduced late fall this year. The base Carrera’s and the GTS will be the first to be introduced.

Then sometime in 2025 the other models will follow. Here is what we know.

The base Carrera’s will have a boost in performance, but the GTS will go to a mild hybrid and manual will not be offered due to how the electric motor is between the

transmission and motor. Now here is where the grey area comes in. The .2 ‘S’ models. will they be a mild hybrid or not. We have not been informed either way. The

thinking is that since the GTS is a boosted ‘S’ model, it wouldn’t be a surprise if when the ‘S’ comes out it is also a mild hybrid which would also eliminate the manual transmission.

I just want you to have all the information so you can make the best decision for you. Sorry that I don’t have anything in concrete at this point. Let me know your thoughts.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 01-09-2024, 01:00 PM   #5544
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
This was my salesman's follow up to my passing on his offer: A couple of interesting tidbits - .2 = late fall 2024 introduction - I wonder if colors will be added in Feb through April for the end of the .1 run? Staged introduction of base and GTS first followed by others in 2025.

I just want you to know what we know about the .2. When it is introduced late fall this year. The base Carrera’s and the GTS will be the first to be introduced.

The base Carrera’s will have a boost in performance, but the GTS will go to a mild hybrid and manual will not be offered due to how the electric motor is between the

transmission and motor. Now here is where the grey area comes in. The .2 ‘S’ models. will they be a mild hybrid or not. We have not been informed either way. The

thinking is that since the GTS is a boosted ‘S’ model, it wouldn’t be a surprise if when the ‘S’ comes out it is also a mild hybrid which would also eliminate the manual transmission.

I just want you to have all the information so you can make the best decision for you. Sorry that I don’t have anything in concrete at this point. Let me know your thoughts.

The main consensus on RL is it is extremely doubtful that PAG will offer the new colors primarily meant for the introduction of the dot two, but offer them on the dot one at the end of dot one production. Preproduction dot twos will supposedly enter production along side the dots ones in Q2.

Edit: To lemmings point, it is a big “if” regarding a manual trans on a C2S or a GTS for the dot twos. One probably should not risk it if that is what one ultimately wants.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:02 PM   #5545
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

Interesting, sounds like they might be going down the m3/m4 route and only offering manual on the base trim(hopefully) and GT cars.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:05 PM   #5546
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Interesting, sounds like they might be going down the m3/m4 route and only offering manual on the base trim(hopefully) and GT cars.
I'd be down for that as long as there was a 'vert version
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 01-09-2024, 01:20 PM   #5547
SCA
Jaded

I would be highly surprised to see a manual offered on a base 992.2 Carrera as it would rob the T from sales which have been relatively strong to-date since it has been the only way to acquire a manual on the base engine.

Edit: Where this could change though is if PAG does offer a manual on the base Carrera and then they do not build a 992.2 T, which could be a probability. The 991 T was only offered on the .2 so it might be likely that the 992.1 T is the only offering for the 992.

Last edited by SCA; 01-09-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #5548
SCA
Jaded

2025 Targa spy shots: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...arga-spy-shots
Old 01-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #5549
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I would be highly surprised to see a manual offered on a base 992.2 Carrera as it would rob the T from sales which have been relatively strong to-date since it has been the only way to acquire a manual on the base engine.

Edit: Where this could change though is if PAG does offer a manual on the base Carrera and then they do not build a 992.2 T, which could be a probability. The 991 T was only offered on the .2 so it might be likely that the 992.1 T is the only offering for the 992.
but that would mean no manual 911 to start 992.2
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:42 PM   #5550
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

Although the T wasn't introduced until the 991.2, my sense is that its here to stay (just like GT3 touring). Porsche has found a way to carve some space between the base and S models, and I don't see them giving that up. Agree that its highly unlikely that they'll offer a manual on the base..in continuing with their now established tradition. There's nothing about the T that would be difficult for them to continue offering on the .2s (other than a manual if indeed they decide to not offer them any longer). Another sign that the T is here to stay is that they've started to use that trim level across their lneup - including the Macan!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote