carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #51
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
There was a string of RNM cars the other day. Really made me wonder whether their model is starting to break down.

EDIT:

In part, it's that there are just too many cars. They have 53 auctions closing today. It used to be that you could casually check the site and get a good, eclectic slice of some rare and interesting cars, but now if you don't spend an hour or more on it every day you won't keep up.

But this car with less than 2 hours remaining is only at 15K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-m3-13/

Might end up being a decent deal at no reserve.
Yeah the last SIX E39 M5’s were RNM. That ship has sailed looks like.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #52
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I also think sellers have a bit inflated view of the value of some of their cars. Some... Some seem pretty decent...

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #53
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
There was a string of RNM cars the other day. Really made me wonder whether their model is starting to break down.

EDIT:

In part, it's that there are just too many cars. They have 53 auctions closing today. It used to be that you could casually check the site and get a good, eclectic slice of some rare and interesting cars, but now if you don't spend an hour or more on it every day you won't keep up.

But this car with less than 2 hours remaining is only at 15K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-bmw-m3-13/

Might end up being a decent deal at no reserve.
I saw you watching and commenting. It was a good price at $18.

The interior in the M cloth looks amazing and holds up so much better the the E36 cheap leather.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #54
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Find one with Lane Change Assist. It’s essential.
You are absolutely right, thanks for the suggestion, one of the dealers has a base with this option and I think I will go see it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I've never noticed a big blind spot in our Boxster. Backing out of a parking spot takes a little more care than a normal car, but driving down the road and changing lanes isn't anything to worry about.
When I sit in the boxster my seat is far back so when I look to my left I see the roof of the car not the window. You sit in the proper driving position and probably sit closer then I do. I’m like the lazy guy who leans back too much and if we were in a car together you would tell me to sit differently ... you would be right
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #55
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I saw a post on another board I frequent where a guy had his Cayman GTS listing denied by BAT, because they were worried it would drag down the GT4 sales they had

BAT is just a joke at this point.
Fancy GT2 now: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...t2-weissach-6/
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #56
Alan
Carmudgeon

So I test drove another Boxster S, this one was brand new, the dealer let my wife & I take it by ourselves which I liked.

I noticed the blind spot is not nearly as bad as I originally thought and when I turn my head there is the window not the roof ... I still have the concern about the seat being up against the firewall, I just can't tell if I would be making a mistake buying a new one for $70k (Base model). If I could find a very low mileage Boxster or Cayman that is 1-2 years old with the options I want I think it might be better so at least if I don’t feel comfortable I don't get killed on the resale.

BTW the drive was awesome, I love it !!

Also drove the the 992S Coupe (see pic) ... it is a heck of a car, I think it is something I would need to get used to, everything is pretty much touch screen and there is a lot to learn, strangely the 14 way power seat has been changed, it provides more side bolstering on the seat part (where your butt sits) but they have the seat back pretty far back.

So in other words your head is much further away from the headrest, you kinda have to lean back to get your head and back against the seat ... I would need to drive it again to see if I could get in a better drivers position.

Power is awesome, they really improved the sound of the engine, much more beefy sounding then the 991.2 and the steering is AWESOME !! For electric steering you actually feel feedback and it is very tight.

I am going to go to another dealer and take another one for a test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #57
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I don't think any boxster/cayman (with exception of R & Spyder) can hold a candle to 911 resale... A base for $70k???

Isn't the 992 pretty much the same engine as the 991.2? I've not driven that model so don't know how the first turbo non-turbo 911 sounds.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #58
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I don't think any boxster/cayman (with exception of R & Spyder) can hold a candle to 911 resale... A base for $70k???

Isn't the 992 pretty much the same engine as the 991.2? I've not driven that model so don't know how the first turbo non-turbo 911 sounds.
I think the 992 has the same engine but they tuned the sound ... probably like they did with the 718, the 4 cylinder to me doesn't sound like a typical 4 cylinder, it has a nice growl to it.

The Boxster msrp is $75k, the selling price is $70k ... are you saying the msrp is low or high ?

Also the big picture is 911's lose a ton of money in the first few years but if I went with the 992 it wouldn't be about it holding better resale, I already know I'd keep it for a number of years, the only question in regards to resale on the Boxster/Cayman is if I am uncomfortable in it and want to dump it in 6 months.
I am not concerned if I love it and keep it for a 2 to 3 years what the resale it.

Last edited by Alan; 11-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #59
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Nice- sounds like that might become your "forever" car.
I don’t think I’d say ‘forever’ but I would say ‘for now’
Old 11-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #60
Alan
Carmudgeon

So I ended up buying this 2019 Base Cayman with 1,200 miles.

While it is here on Long Island I am having it Flat bedded to my house so I don't have to make the 1 hour drive there. It should be arriving tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1694J (1)Full.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	12546