carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
JST

What to get next? FC edition

Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.
If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.
Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.
The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.
It's not about the power for me. It's more the ability to rev to red line in 2nd around town without getting arrested. I think my 987.1S did 74mph in second. The NC Miata is something like 46 mph and 3rd is ~78.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
We all get our kicks in different ways... I agree with WDC that a boxster, cayman and likely a 911 is fun at any speed. It is a more satisfying, overall sporty/luxurious experience to partially rev a flat-6 rather than rev a 4-cyl to its literal limit. I hit the limiter a few times in five years with my 987.1S Cayman but only in first. That's a few times in 34k miles.

Porsches are also comfy enough on the highway for two or less. Horses for courses...

Those who don't like an e39 m5 are unlikely to love a b8 or b8.5 s4, no matter how capable that car is, it still has very oddly weighted steering and has an overall digital/synthetic feel. I think a lightly chipped GTI (and by extension the Golf R) is way more fun to drive.

But we are all different. I know nothing about autox classes. From videos that I watched, I would not have been able to get a 4-cyl Camaro, the v6 and the SS both sound so good.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
We all get our kicks in different ways... I agree with WDC that a boxster, cayman and likely a 911 is fun at any speed. It is a more satisfying, overall sporty/luxurious experience to partially rev a flat-6 rather than rev a 4-cyl to its literal limit. I hit the limiter a few times in five years with my 987.1S Cayman but only in first. That's a few times in 34k miles.

Porsches are also comfy enough on the highway for two or less. Horses for courses...

Those who don't like an e39 m5 are unlikely to love a b8 or b8.5 s4, no matter how capable that car is, it still has very oddly weighted steering and has an overall digital/synthetic feel. I think a lightly chipped GTI (and by extension the Golf R) is way more fun to drive.

But we are all different. I know nothing about autox classes. From videos that I watched, I would not have been able to get a 4-cyl Camaro, the v6 and the SS both sound so good.
I agree with a Boxster, but to your point, it has to be a 6-cyl. I dunno that I would want a turbo Boxster. The prices are also prohibitive.