carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him.
A truck would be nice, for sure. For now, the cheap HF trailer does the trick when I need a full sheet or something that doesn't fit in the LR4.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My son, who is a very tall 12 yr old, rides in the back of the 1er just fine. I agree with Bren, kids *can* fit in the back of a coupe for a few miles. I'd check out an M2. I'd also look at the S7 to see if it is any good (I know nothing about it), just another option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him.
My tall almost-12-year-old begs to get in the back seat of the 2. Don't know why, but he loves it back there.

My FIL's Ram (Quad cab?) was the only vehicle available us that could easily fit the five of us and all our luggage on a recent trip to the airport to catch a 7-day cruise.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
If it needs to be fun, the model S doesn't scratch that itch. It's fast. It's not fun. At least I don't think so.

The E90 M3 is a great car, if you get one without iDrive. And if you don't care about fuel range. And if you are okay with major internal engine repairs.

E39 M5s are just old. They drive old, and big. Blah.

Any F series Bmw... No.

I keep hearing my friends who own the newer Audi S4s crowing about how good they are. I'd probably test drive on if I needed a sorta fun, four door car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
If it needs to be fun, the model S doesn't scratch that itch. It's fast. It's not fun. At least I don't think so.

The E90 M3 is a great car, if you get one without iDrive. And if you don't care about fuel range. And if you are okay with major internal engine repairs.

E39 M5s are just old. They drive old, and big. Blah.

Any F series Bmw... No.

I keep hearing my friends who own the newer Audi S4s crowing about how good they are. I'd probably test drive on if I needed a sorta fun, four door car.
I agree with you on all counts. Well, the very late ZCP F80s are not bad but they are very expensive.

I’d be all over an R if it weren’t for lack of moonroof. Then again I hear they leak more times than they should.

As for the E90 M3, I thought it was just one big issue that could be addressed preventatively, no?

As for the Tesla, I suspect it will be like the eGolf on steroids. So yeah, not ideal, but if I get enough seat time in a Boxster, I might survive.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
Nick M3
Relic

Main and rod bearings are both issues on the E90. It’s only really worth addressing the rod bearings.

Overall, though, I am pretty happy with mine.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #26
John V
No more BMWs

I really like them, but I'm sort of over BMW at this point.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #27
clyde
Chief title editor

Used Chevy SS? I mean, I know probably not for a few reasons, but just to mention it.

Nice to someone else mention the Giulia. I think I suggested it a few times to you and I think there was a (rightful) collective laugh from everyone. Probably still the correct response, but yeah, I still want one. As a lease, with the right numbers and a short commute...I mean, why not?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #28
JST

What to get next? FC edition

Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #29
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.
If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.
Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.