PDA

View Full Version : It is harder than I thought

SCA
02-02-2007, 12:42 PM
to a find a fairly well-kept E36 M3 coupe. It appears there are only two kinds available. 1. Worn out POS or 2. A relatively clean example, but still needs some work (suspension refresh, new clutch, radiator & etc.). Naturally option #2. requires paying the owner a premium. :rolleyes:

Rob
02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
You are perhaps looking in the wrong place. There are tons of them out here and some of them are great examples. It might be worth looking into buying one here and either shipping or road tripping it home.

Here is a quick search for 95 - 99 M3 coupes with manual transmissions around my zip code:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_type=both&distance=100&address=92027&style_flag=2&body_style=COUPE&make=BMW&model=M3&make2=&start_year=1995&end_year=1999&min_price=1&max_price=40000&transmission=Manual&engine=&drive=&doors=Two+Door&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=2&certified=&advanced=y&default_sort=priceDESC&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=

John V
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Be patient. The cars are still out there. A coworker just bought a low-mileage cosmos black (yuk) '96 M3 coupe for a song, did the usual necessary stuff (shocks, cooling system) and now has a really nice driving, very solid car. You just have to be patient, drive a lot of cars, and know what you're getting into.

SCA
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
I had a hell of a time helping my buddy find one.

Most are beaten to shit because even though the entry fee is less now that the car is old, the maintenance cost has not gone down.

So you get people that can't really afford BMW upkeeps buying these cars, run them to the ground, then sell them.

Most E36 M3's that we saw had shit for leather, shit for interior, accidents (but that's only because I know what to look for).

I have all but given up on 90's BMW because second hand owners for the most part can afford the entry fee, but not the maintenance cost. rwg is the exception, because he can actually properly keep the car up, but most that we saw in the last 4 months were just absolute shit.

You nailed it!

Currently there are two or three nice sedans available, but I am wanting a coupe. My price range falls in the 95-96 MYs. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I refuse to buy someone else's junk.

SCA
02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
You are perhaps looking in the wrong place. There are tons of them out here and some of them are great examples. It might be worth looking into buying one here and either shipping or road tripping it home.

Here is a quick search for 95 - 99 M3 coupes with manual transmissions around my zip code:

I am digging this one ( http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=208166202&dealer_id=58327699 ), but pics are really meaningless.

armaq
02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
The real nice cars are the ones with sub-40k or even sub-30k miles. Expect to pay $20-$25k for one of those.

Some people may think the days of $25k+ E36 M3s are gone, but the reality is the number of pristine condition cars has greatly reduced while the demand hasn't (might even have increased).

My own manual sedan, with 60k miles, was sold for $20k 4 months ago because the buyer couldn't find one in better condition. But then again, I probably spent more money and time than I should have on keeping it perfect. The E36 M3 is a car that needs constant maintenance/care that most owners are not willing to/can't keep up.

Be patient and keep searching, those cars are out there.

John V
02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
armaq is spot on. The low mileage cars have, if anything, gone up in value.

My '95 had just short of 75,000 miles on it when I sold it last October. I sold it for $17,500 and personally I think the buyer got a great deal. The interior was MINT. It had the standard upgrades, Koni shocks, a fresh cooling system, new exhaust, new bushings, new tie rods, etc etc etc. Also it had never been in any kind of accident and it had complete maintenance records.

You're not going to find a cream puff for $13,000, it just ain't happening.

bren
02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
to a find a fairly well-kept E36 M3 coupe. It appears there are only two kinds available. 1. Worn out POS or 2. A relatively clean example, but still needs some work (suspension refresh, new clutch, radiator & etc.). Naturally option #2. requires paying the owner a premium. :rolleyes:

Yup, sellers are making up prices out of the blue. I figure most of these people got into long 5/6 year loans and are upside down on the value or feel like they have something "special" because they watch too much Barrett Jackson.

SCA
02-02-2007, 02:19 PM

My '95 had just short of 75,000 miles on it when I sold it last October. I sold it for $17,500 and personally I think the buyer got a great deal. The interior was MINT. It had the standard upgrades, Koni shocks, a fresh cooling system, new exhaust, new bushings, new tie rods, etc etc etc. Also it had never been in any kind of accident and it had complete maintenance records.

I expect it will need some minor work. Mostly issues I will tackle on my own.

Yup, sellers are making up prices out of the blue. I figure most of these people got into long 5/6 year loans and are upside down on the value or feel like they have something "special" because they watch too much Barrett Jackson.

Well, the book values certainly do not match with asking prices. Naturally the same applies to the E30 M3, but what helps that car was the 5,000 (+/-) that were imported into the US.

John V
02-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I expect it will need some minorwork. Mostly issues I will tackle on my own.

Well, I haven't been looking (obviously) at E36 M3s, but I have come across a few cars by accident, and the ones in the $10-$14k range just seem to be generally rough. High miles (not necessarily bad), poorly maintained, rough interiors. There is no reason to settle for an abused car. I agree with other posters here that a lot of people buy them because the buy-in is low, but then they can't afford to keep them up.

Overall I would rather buy a car that has a good body, good interior, good paint, straight chassis but needs some mechanical refreshing (shocks, brakes, steering gear, bushings) because those are all things you can gradually put money into as they start to annoy you. Rather than buying a car that has a torn up interior or one that needs paint work (besides the usual stone chips).

Doug
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Should have bought mine....

Nick M3
02-02-2007, 03:32 PM

Heh.

I still don't know why he bought your car. It would have made so much more sense to buy a beater.

John V
02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeeeeaaahhpp. :dunno:

Rob
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I am digging this one ( http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=208166202&dealer_id=58327699 ), but pics are really meaningless.

That looks like an example of how to not try to sell a car. Or else they are trying to hide somethign to get you in the door.

Here's a thought - low mileage can be good, but well kept high mileage can be just as "good" and a lot better deal. If the last owner takes care of his cars, you can get a car that already has a new radiator, water pump, bushings, seals, and so on.

Nick M3
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Yeeeeaaahhpp. :dunno:
You know the thing is working its way towards becoming a race car, don't you? None of the stuff you kept in good condition really adds value in that process.

SCA
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Here's a thought - low mileage can be good, but well kept high mileage can be just as "good" and a lot better deal. If the last owner takes care of his cars, you can get a car that already has a new radiator, water pump, bushings, seals, and so on.

That is pretty much what I would like to find minus all the bling mods. Now only if I could find such a M3 that has approx. 130,000 miles or less, has been maintained, and the body is straight then I would seriously pursue it.

John V
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
You know the thing is working its way towards becoming a race car, don't you? None of the stuff you kept in good condition really adds value in that process.

Right, which is why I agreed with you. :)

bren
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Maybe you should try to get in touch with this guy:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16234798&postcount=22

SCA
02-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Maybe you should try to get in touch with this guy:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16234798&postcount=22

;)

I had located what appeared to be a nice dakar M3, but the hood and one of the fenders have been replaced.

BTW, Dakar is not one of my favorite colors, but overall condition will supersede color combos.

GSR13
02-05-2007, 11:04 PM
When I was looking for something I had strongly considered an E36 M3. I was actually looking for a M3/4 and only found one worth looking at. The car was silver/black and had about 112,000 miles on it. It was a very well maintained car, but still needed some work. The drivers seat would have, in my opinion, needed replacing or repaired. The steering wheel needed replacing and it needed a radio. The aftermarket install no longer worked. One of the front fenders had been replaced with a BMW OEM fender and you would have never known if the guy didn't disclose it. And it needed tires and rear shocks.

It was a '98 and I honestly expected all of this. Asking price was 13k, which I thought was a fair price. But in the end, I decided against it. I just felt that overall cost of ownership would be higher than I wanted.

I think the cars are out there, assuming you have the patience to wait it out, and don't mind paying a premium.

GSR13
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I just don't get why people just can't take the minimal care required to keep up the Napa leather.

Almost all E36 M3's that I saw with my buddy had cracked and dried up leather seats.

All you need to do is unfurl the damn sunshade and condition the leather a few times a year.

The biggest problem I see with seats isn't the lack of care, it is the inability of the freaking driver to get in and out properly. They wear holes in them.

Some of the S2000's I looked it were already showing significant wear for the same reason.

Honestly, if you are buying a car with those types of seats, take the time to learn to get in and out. And yeah, try cleaning and conditioning them once in a while...

SCA
02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
When I was looking for something I had strongly considered an E36 M3. I was actually looking for a M3/4 and only found one worth looking at. The car was silver/black and had about 112,000 miles on it. It was a very well maintained car, but still needed some work. The drivers seat would have, in my opinion, needed replacing or repaired. The steering wheel needed replacing and it needed a radio. The aftermarket install no longer worked. One of the front fenders had been replaced with a BMW OEM fender and you would have never known if the guy didn't disclose it. And it needed tires and rear shocks.

It was a '98 and I honestly expected all of this. Asking price was 13k, which I thought was a fair price. But in the end, I decided against it. I just felt that overall cost of ownership would be higher than I wanted.

I think the cars are out there, assuming you have the patience to wait it out, and don't mind paying a premium.

:lol: That car is still for sale. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215697346

hfh330i
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't know anything about these guys, but they often have a couple e36 M3s for sale.

The owners daily driver (an E34 M5 Touring) is worth a visit.

http://www.car-locators.com/inventory.html

http://www.car-locators.com/4-CLI-Web.jpg

SCA
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know anything about these guys, but they often have a couple e36 M3s for sale.

Yes, they do. I am looking to purchase from a private seller though. ;)

GSR13
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
:lol: That car is still for sale. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215697346

Oh, wow. I know he wants to get rid of it pretty badly as he has a parking lot for a driveway. It has been for sale for some time.

SCA
02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Oh, wow. I know he wants to get rid of it pretty badly as he has a parking lot for a driveway. It has been for sale for some time.

Not that I was real serious about the car, you did save me a trip to ATL. :)

GSR13
02-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Not that I was real serious about the car, you did save me a trip to ATL. :)

Well, for anyone even considering a car in North Georgia, all you ever have to do is let me know. I would always be happy to check the car out first and report back.

I would have loved to have had someone in Kentucky, after driving all the freaking way up there.

bren
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/232975.aspx

bren
02-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Just got an '88 M5 so something has to go.
My '99 M3 is as mechanically spectacular as they come. A true 10 out of 10 and EVERYTHING'S been done (in the last 1000 miles) to make it better than it was off the showroom floor. It's an 8.5 out of 10 cosmetically, but nothing major and nothing that needs to be addressed. You'll be hard pressed to find someone as anal with maintenance as I. Mileage is just under 63,000 very well cared for miles.
I'm asking kinda a lot, but it consumes no oil and is as tasteful and strong as they come. I've driven many, many M3's and this one has an intangible something that puts and extra smile on ones face. It has to be driven to understand which is why I'm not bothering with anyone who isn't local.
If remotely interested, email me at corsteiner@aol.com and I'll respond with an attachment that explains everything.
Thanks.

Cory

PS The window tint is gone so as to restore the AM radio reception which it has done. The FM was already very good, but there was no AM (until now). It looks a lot better without the tint, too, in my humble opinion.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=181843&stc=1&d=1172499042

Don't yell at me, but I'm asking $22,000. It's very high, but I've done it all and done it right sparing no expense. OK, in the last 1,000 miles:
-Amsoil 5W40 Euro/Mahle filter
-air filter
-cabin filter
-transmission fluid - Red Line
-differential fluid - Red Line
-BMW coolant
-Bosch OEM plugs
-spark plug connectors
-fuel filter
-E46 rear shock mounts
-battery
-entire cooling system
-Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions
-exhaust mounts
-Bilsteins
-OEM brakes/rotors and ceramic brake pads
-X Brace
-windshield wiper assemblies
-Viper keyless entry
-rear toe bushings with ground control limiters and welded around the factory spot welds (a very nice touch)
-full Rainbow speaker upgrade on stock HK system using rear 6x9's as subs only
-BMW rubber floor mats
Again, I know I'm asking a lot, but nothing needs to be done for a long time. I'd probably do the O2 sensors and ignition coils at 90,000 miles just because and one might do the oil pump nut, but it's probably not necessary unless you drive very hard. The entire life of the car is well cared for and never abused in any way. It even consumed no oil when using Amsoil Series 2000 0W30, but ended up liking the feel of 5W40 Euro a bit better. Seemed a bit "tighter" if that makes sense.

Theo
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Bren,

Is there a link to any other pics? The pic is not working for me.

bren
02-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Try this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696209

Theo
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
thanks.

clyde
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
found one (http://bimmerhaus.com/carlot/tunnell/sm1.html)

bren
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
:eek:

BahnBaum
03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Also included at no additional cost is a year of technical support and a 2-year non-compete agreement.

How good are you when that adds value to your sale?

Alex

armaq
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
If this (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=217903468&dealer_id=59593795&car_year=1995&model=M3&num_records=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&first_record=51&make=BMW&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92101&advanced=&end_year=2007&pager.offset=50&doors=&transmission=&max_price=11500&cardist=1121) isn't a scam, I'm quite tempted...

IndyMike
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
found one (http://bimmerhaus.com/carlot/tunnell/sm1.html)
So you can get the whole shebang (car, truck & trailer) for roughly $105k. Wonder if he's flexible on the prices; or just has tunnell vision.

:)

John V
03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
OMG.

OMG.

OMG.

TD
03-01-2007, 08:18 PM
So you can get the whole shebang (car, truck & trailer) for roughly $105k. Wonder if he's flexible on the prices; or just has tunnell vision.

:)
From this sentence, I inferred he was asking a little over $50K.

Well over $100,000 has been invested in the development of this car... but you can own it and start winning with it for roughly half that. I

:dunno:

clyde
03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
From this sentence, I inferred he was asking a little over $50K.

:dunno:
$53kish for the M3 plus $52k for the Silverado and trailer.

TD
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Ah...

rautox
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Wow. Does that imply an attack on sm2?

bren
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow. Does that imply an attack on sm2?

Or ASP.