PDA

View Full Version : My wife doesn't want a Jetta now...

dredmo
01-03-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/media?id=5414886

So, WTF?!?

rumatt
01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
:scratch:

dredmo
01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
:?

She does a ton of tooling around town and that will soon increase with a second kid. I'm liking the idea of her getting good gas mileage, but wtf, isn't a Jetta good enough?

Time to manipulate and be underhanded. :D

rumatt
01-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Ah... I get it.

Find that top gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson completely trashes the prius and show it to her. That should do it. :)

John V
01-03-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't blame her for not wanting a Jetta. They're more trouble than they're worth.

ff
01-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda Civic. Excellent mileage, excellent reliability, stellar resale.

lemming
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM
why would anyone? esp. the way the new one look?

if anything, i'd think people would prefer to buy the 4 door GTI. and a v6 jetta is uncomfortably close to 30k these days with amenities.

there are so many other cars that have more space and better reliability in-class.

when i break it down for anyone in my family and others, i help them realize that the jetta is a german cobalt/focus. that's basically what it is. it has slightly nicer materials inside, but if you look at the base powerplant plus the cost of the vehicle, that's a lot of money to pay for a german cobalt.

John V
01-03-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd agree with the Civic recommendation. Hard to go wrong with a Civic. Or how about a Mazda 3?

Nick M3
01-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Explain to her that the Prius is dangerous because it'll electrocute rescue workers in a really bad crash (not to mention the fact that it can't avoid one in the first place), and point out that the manufacturing and disposal process causes more environmental damage than, well, just about anything else on the road.

equ
01-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Sth has to make up for the f150's of the world? :dunno:

I'd take the 4-dr gti many times over a jetta.

dredmo
01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Good ideas guys.

I'd much prefer a GTI or Civic over the dangerous Prius.

I saw that video of one crash testing. Side impacts = death.

BahnBaum
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
My wife is close to agreeing that an X3 might make sense for her.

Alex

bren
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Alex

Fanboi :p

BahnBaum
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Fanboi :p

Leaserateboi.

;)

Alex

lemming
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Alex

since they moved away from the rubbermaid bumpers, they look nice.

:dunno:

iateyourcheese
01-03-2007, 10:39 AM
The only current gen Jetta that interested me was the TDI, but it's no longer in production. Go for the Civic or the Mazda3.

ZBB
01-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Leaserateboi.

;)

Alex

Sounds like my wife :lol: She really likes her X3...

Mr. The Edge
01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Leaserateboi.

;)

Alex

I hear the lease rates are phenomenal on the X3. Do a search for user "Schley" at the 'Fest. He is saying he can do ED on an X3 and get his payment around $249/month :eek:

Sharp11
01-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a friend who had the new Jetta, it reminded me of a basic E46 sedan; solidly built with nice materials.

The gearbox shifted nicely (5 speed manual), the steering and ride were quite good, the seats excellent, but the engine a bit gruff (and somewhat underpowered at some 150hp).

Overall, though, I don't think there was anything in the price range he paid for it that competed with its quality build and materials - it seemed like a more expensive car, again, E46-like.

He did trade it for the new Passat a year later, though :dunno:

Ed

Melissa
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't blame her for not wanting a Jetta. They're more trouble than they're worth.

:yes: :yes: :yes: A MEN!

John V
01-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Overall, though, I don't think there was anything in the price range he paid for it that competed with its quality build and materials - it seemed like a more expensive car, again, E46-like.

Yep, the perceived quality is very good, even of the MKIV cars. Everything fits tightly and looks/feels really great. The interior materials of Marisa's Jetta have held up great. The car doesn't have any interior squeaks or rattles, even after 90k miles or so.

However, same problem with all Audis and VWs: the important stuff BEHIND that perceived quality is junk (The 1.8T engine is a gem, though).

Rob
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
How about a four door Toyota Yarus? Like $16k fully loaded, reliable (presumably), and has an unbelievable amount of room inside. And they get something like 34/39 mpg.

bren
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
How about a four door Toyota Yarus? Like $16k fully loaded, reliable (presumably), and has an unbelievable amount of room inside. And they get something like 34/39 mpg.

Something tells me that's not passing any safety tests either....

lemming
01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
you guys would have to seriously convince me to ever buy a VW again. my experience with two MarkIII vehicles was bloody awful.

the MarkIV didn't do a thing to distinguish itself in terms of reliability, either.

the MarkV is notable for keeping most of the same electrical systems and electronics while GAINING weight.

if anything, i'd wait for the around the corner MkVI vehicle.

rumatt
01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
However, same problem with all Audis and VWs: the important stuff BEHIND that perceived quality is junk (The 1.8T engine is a gem, though).

I'm confused. So the problem isn't the interior, or the engine? What's left, suspension?

iateyourcheese
01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm confused. So the problem isn't the interior, or the engine? What's left, suspension?

http://www.cookce.rutgers.edu/images/programs/electrical.jpg + http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/films/gremlins/gremlins-photo-gremlins-6200139.jpg

jpgurl
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
:lol: :lol:

Rob
01-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Something tells me that's not passing any safety tests either....
why? B/c it wieghs 2300 pounds and seems as big inside as a 3 series? :lol:

tempting gas mileage for a commuter car though - and no batteries.

iateyourcheese
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
why? B/c it wieghs 2300 pounds and seems as big inside as a 3 series? :lol:

tempting gas mileage for a commuter car though - and no batteries.

:ack: I didn't find data for the e46, but the Yaris sedan has a larger passenger volume than an e36. 87 cu. ft for the Toyota vs. 82 cu. ft for the e36. I assume the e90 is larger, though.

John V
01-04-2007, 06:57 AM
http://www.cookce.rutgers.edu/images/programs/electrical.jpg + http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/films/gremlins/gremlins-photo-gremlins-6200139.jpg

Nice. And, exactly.

ff
01-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Dredmo, I took the liberty of test-driving the Civic Si Sedan for you last night. ;) I just needed to get out of the house for some quiet time, and have always been curious about how the new Civic faired.

I went into the drive expecting an experience that reminded me of the S2000, but less raw. Well, it's not as fast, and is missing the sensory overload that you get in the S's upper RPM band, but is otherwise reminiscent of the way one "feels". It handles the curves with ease, and without the body roll present in most cars, yet the ride was never harsh. If I was in the market for one, I'd be making sure it had the summer tires though.

The shifter, while maintaining the short throw and positive feel of the S2000, feels terribly odd in the way it moves from, say, 5th gear to 1st. It's almost like the shifter is rolling/rotating as you move it across. Hard to explain, really. It just felt weird.

The seats. Yes, those seats. They are truly sublime. Nice and firm, supportive in all the right places, and keeps you planted in one spot. I don't recall ever having been in finer stock sport seats, and is one big selling point in this car, IMO.

The interior, as expected, is very odd. I don't care for the visual layout one bit, yet I couldn't help but fully appreciate how the speedo was in an ideal location. You can glance at it without really taking your eyes off the road. Like your peripheral vision can get the job done. Everything else on the dash is also up high, and right in front of you within arm's reach where it all should be.

Interior room is phenominal. I mean, it couldn't believe how much rear seat legroom there was. With the driver's seat set where I would normally have it (I'm a hair over 6' tall), I sat in the rear seat directly behind, and still had a good 6-7" of legroom. I shit you not.

I think it's a helluva car for the money if you can find a dealer willing to sell you one for sticker price. This dealer had the car marked up to well over $27K, and for that money, you have all sorts of better options in the used market. Heck, you can get a brand new RS-X Type S, or Mazdaspeed3/5 for a lot less than that.