PDA

View Full Version : Blizzak LM-25's or Dunlop Wintersport 3D's?

FC
12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm waffling on what tires to get.:rolleyes: I know I can't go wrong, but I'm torn between going with what I know or trying the Dunlops.

Input, bitte.

Sharp11
12-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm waffling on what tires to get.:rolleyes: I know I can't go wrong, but I'm torn between going with what I know or trying the Dunlops.

Input, bitte.

Geez man, waffling over cars is one thing, but these are just snow tires :dunno:

;)

Fwiw, I've got the LM25's

Ed

lemming
12-15-2006, 02:52 PM
i vote for the 3Ds because they're supposed to be technologically advanced with the tread compression during different temperatures.

i already know (and you do, too) that the blizzaks are excellent.

given your intended application, we all know that it does not even matter which tire you use. ergo, do some exploring for us and try the new tire.

:-)

equ
12-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Having had the M3's before, I went for the 3D's this time around purely to experiment. Being my over-analysing self, I am running all sorts of mental scenarios where these tread blocks don't separate enough in snow. I've even looked at the pictures of the two treads side by side wondering about lost snow capability :ack: as if I could somehow divine it. So far so good on dry & wet. I'll report if they ever touch a snowflake.

You could be the second data point or you could be just another LM faithful.

nate
12-15-2006, 03:01 PM
PS2s

FC
12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
PS2s

LOL

I will actually buy those, but in the spring for the 330i.;)

iateyourcheese
12-15-2006, 03:39 PM
PS2s

I tried PS2s in the snow. I didn't even get the car out of the parking lot.

bren
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Whichever is cheaper.

zach
12-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I tried PS2s in the snow. I didn't even get the car out of the parking lot.

Last thanksgiving, I got stuck going DOWNHILL on my PS2s. My parents had to come rescue me. The rears have enough negative camber to not do me any favors, but still...:ack:

FC
12-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Ordered the Dunlops. They were $48 cheaper too. We'll see how they are.

iateyourcheese
12-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Last thanksgiving, I got stuck going DOWNHILL on my PS2s. My parents had to come rescue me. The rears have enough negative camber to not do me any favors, but still...:ack:

Wow. :ack:
I knew we had snow and ice coming, but I planned on taking the afternoon off to miss the storm. Plans changed and all of the sudden my car was encased in 2" of ice. Any throttle I gave just made the car go sideways. So the M3 sat out in the snow for 4 days waiting for things to melt.

Anyway, I got a set of used Blizzak WS-50s and I couldn't be happier. I'm prepared for our next snowfall -- 2008 or whenever that happens.

nate
12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
LOL

I will actually buy those, but in the spring for the 330i.;)

Try the RE-01Rs.

I'm curious about how they are...

rumatt
12-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Try the RE-01Rs.

I'm curious about how they are...

:bustingup

Alan
12-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Geez man, waffling over cars is one thing, but these are just snow tires :dunno:

lol ... that is exactly what I was thinking :D

Next topic ... what toothpaste to use ... I was waffling over crest or Colgate ... ;)

Nick M3
12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
:bustingup
Get them siped. ;)

equ
12-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Dunlop 3D update. Not a full blown snowstorm test but some more info...

Just came back from Maine (900 miles roundtrip). They did very well. Quiet on the hwy (though that's also the 5er), not the best dry grip but acceptable.

On an inch of snow, an inch of slush and hard ice, very good! :thumbup: The roads were never covered but the lots were not cleaned at all and had all three conditions above. I barely felt it. Could launch and brake hard. At parking lot speeds (<15mph), the surface felt no different than wet. Seems a bit better than the M3's. So far so good.

While I miss AF, snow tire comparison is not a joke at all for us skiers. It's really important especially for us who run rwd's in the winter. The tire has to be ok on the hwy upto 100mph, it has to do snowstorm duty etc etc.