PDA

View Full Version : searching for a "daily" - more test drives

equ
10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, after a busy weekend (and beautiful fall colours, especially in CT), I'm making progress. However the "beater" is becoming more and more misleading so I'll rename it "daily".

Kicked off the weekend with a b5s4 avant. Original owner but mediocre condition (very high miles), ok to drive. Much better suspension, torque, clutch, front seats than a4 but still kind of a ho-hum drive.

Next was a high mileage but well maintained (new clutch/timing) a4 2.8. This would be the seemingly rational car to get as the expensive issues are taken care of. All keys, recs but sth sugary had ruined the console buttons. Audio/hvac almost inoperable. Really not that nice to drive. New clutch still kind of high, sports pack but still mushy, engine has flatspots, drives like a much bigger car. My god, what have I been missing while I owned this car for so long. It's only fun in the snow which I only see a few days a year. Good riddance to the a4!

At the same place there was a 2000 328i. 100k+ miles but clean. Just to compare I asked to drive. I really liked it. The feel is worlds better than audi. As my gf put it, it had a "real clutch" unlike other bmws. Isn't she awesome? She also noted that bmws seem to hold up better than audis. Slight differential issue but no keys/recs so probably not a good choice. Anyway I've had my fill of e46's. However I'll be the first to admit that for just driving around like a human being (no speeding) the 2000 felt better than the 03/04! Better match of gear ratios to engine torque, nice steering and generally unfussy to drive. Good riddance to the zhp! :eeps:

Then went to see an 01 325xi. Young owner, not so great condition. Really quite unpleasant to drive, almost as bad as an a4 (but not quite). All the steering/suspension/torque match goodness of the 328i rwd/sport is thrown away. Don't know about the e90xi's, but the e46xi sucks. Also at this point I'm almost convinced to go back to rwd+snows. I'll take back pain over driving nasty cars. Perhaps the evo/sti are nice awd's to drive but they don't complement the porsche all that well (at least for someone my age).

At this point, I canceled my other a4 candidates as I decided the s4 is the only audi I could possibly own (theft & turbo & all). Went to see a very high priced s4 (new engine/turbos). Beaut in pics not so much in real life. Boy racer owner has clearly had things happen and somehow managed to score new engine/turbos from dealer/insurance/who knows. Anyway, now it's ONLY boosted to 320 or sth and yes it's fast but the rear clunked and vibes everywhere. The car had been around the block a few times... Decided cheaper s4avant was a better one after all.

After liking the 328i so much and some searches I decided to check out a 2000 528i sport. Nice owners, extremely clean condition. BTW, two years ago I had a short drive in a 530-non sport and a 540 sport and liked neither went for the zhp (coming out of a 996). All options, very high price.

Anyway, I loved the interior, just familiar enough but yet noticeably nicer than the e46. The drive: Hefty steering, buttoned down handling. Heavy but better feel than s4. In fact, very nice to drive. Gf liked as well. Underpowered but still a class act. Didn't try jumpy moves (with elderly previous owners in vehicle) but it's a great car. Negatives: While cosmetically perfect, the owners are clueless about mechanical aspects. Dash pixels gone, hand brake doesn't hold until all the way up (she admitted she drove on it a bunch :eek: ) Clutch seems ok but engine feels weaker than even a 2.8 should. A little bucking in 1st gear. Bmw experts: Is this vanos or camshaft sensor or...?

Should I find a stronger 528, an older single vanos 528 or a 530? Any reliability differences? I could also buy the car for the cosmetic condition and get it fixed myself mechanically. I will give the 540 a try as well to cover all bases...

I'm almost convinced the e39 sport is the perfect complement to the toy 987S. (Budget & awd be damned!)

equ
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
A recap of the 528i's problems:
- weak/slight bucking 1000-2000rpm. Vanos? Camshaft sensor?
- fogged headlamp casings though they are xenon. Are these replaceable?
- handbrake needs like 10 notches. Tightening or new hardware?
- dash pixels (saw on the 'fest that bmwna may provide parts for this)

Otherwise, beautiful, low-mileage car. Should I hit it? I must admit, kind of tired of searching and I want it pretty badly. I think I'm going to stay cool and look at some 530's & 540's just in case....

bren
10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
The engine "weakness" may be attributable to the ECU learning/adapting to the elderly owners driving habits. :dunno:

The e-brake sloppiness is most certainly an adjustment issue. This same thing has happened to every car I've owned.

JST
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM

Otherwise, beautiful, low-mileage car. Should I hit it? I must admit, kind of tired of searching and I want it pretty badly. I think I'm going to stay cool and look at some 530's & 540's just in case....

I'd probably drive a 530/540 before I did anything, but why not take the 528 to a reputable mechanic for a PPI? They might be able to tell you whether there are real issues or not.

ZBB
10-17-2006, 11:36 AM

My 530 e-brake needs adjustment 1-2 times a year. Our driveway is on a slope -- so its easy to tell when it needs adjustment as you have to yank it all the way up to get it to keep the car stopped. Once adjusted, its fine for a while. My e46 also needed occasional adjustment...

I haven't experienced the dash pixel issue, but that is a common problem on E39s. The info on the thread at the 'fest should help get that fixed.

I had a link to a decent page with a bunch of DIY and other E39 info, but it appears to have been taken down. Fortunately, its still in Google's cache, and most of the links on it stil work:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:h1sC3Mlo1vcJ:www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/index.htm+e39+tips+tricks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Edit:
Man I really like the sand/tan interior... My E39 has the gray interior, and the tan looks much nicer.

equ
10-17-2006, 11:39 AM
JST: That's what I'm thinking. I will try to give the 530/540 a try. For this 528, I even know a great bmw shop in that area (even though I don't know one in my area!).

I'm tempted to stay within 528/530 for a couple of reasons:
1. I6's are cool - especially from munich
2. the porsche will appear even faster
3. looking for smooth/balance

equ
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
ZBB: Awesome link, thanks! I also love the gray interiors, these are beautiful cars. These guys live on a hill but in case you missed it in my loooong story, she admitted to driving with the handbrake more than a few times :rolleyes:.

Nick M3
10-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Unplug the battery in the 528 for about a minute, that'll probably help the throttle response.
Headlamp covers are replaceable, IIRC.
E-brake shoes can be replaced easily and should not even be thought about.
Dash pixels fall into the "who gives a shit?" category. I mean seriously, if the car is otherwise great, why would you even bother to waste money fixing this?

JST
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
JST: That's what I'm thinking. I will try to give the 530/540 a try. For this 528, I even know a great bmw shop in that area (even though I don't know one in my area!).

I'm tempted to stay within 528/530 for a couple of reasons:
1. I6's are cool - especially from munich
2. the porsche will appear even faster
3. looking for smooth/balance

Also, steering is better on the I6s, and they get reasonable fuel economy (unlike the V8s). And, of course, they are cheaper.

Reliability is probably a wash--do the I6s have the same radiator issues as the E46s and V8 E39s?

JST
10-17-2006, 11:53 AM

Uh, wow. Just noticed the house in the background. Nice color. Nice lions.

equ
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I know - it had a view over a golden foliage covered hill as well. I should buy their house while at it...

Sharp11
10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
I know - it had a view over a golden foliage covered hill as well. I should buy their house while at it...

I think you're making a mistake going this way, it's your call, but I think you're shopping emotionally rather than practically - call it Stuka-itis.

We've given you good advice - I still think a clean one or two year-old Subaru Outback or Forrester - type vehicle is the perfect buy in your price range for what you need, i.e. reliable, safe transportation for NYC you can park anywhere and not worry about it.

Otherwise, you should've kept your ZHP.

Older five's are nice cars, but you'd better strike up a relationship with a quality independent shop as long term ownership of these things can be quite a drain on your pocketbook.

As for the theft issues :dunno:

Ed

FC
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
We've given you good advice - I still think a clean one or two year-old Subaru Outback or Forrester - type vehicle is the perfect buy in your price range for what you need, i.e. reliable, safe transportation for NYC you can park anywhere and not worry about it.

:+1

I think you are having trouble, after having owned so many nice cars, with simply getting a utilitarian vehicle that wont necessarily pamper you, just get the job done.

Otherwise I agree with Ed. You should have kept the ZHP and perhaps added a less expensive sportscar (not that $ appears to be a big concern).

I still think a Subaru (or Saabaru - if you want the extra goodies) is the way to go.

Sharp11
10-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Equ,

If you must have a BMW, here's a link to a nice one:

http://www.greenwichbmw.com/en_US/frm_index.chtml?pageName=PreOwnedVehicleSearch_1&noc=1&overrideUrl=f_PreOwnedVehicleSearch_1.chtml

Scroll down through the list for the 01 330xi w/stick.

Ed

JST
10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Equ,

If you must have a BMW, here's a link to a nice one:

http://www.greenwichbmw.com/en_US/frm_index.chtml?pageName=PreOwnedVehicleSearch_1&noc=1&overrideUrl=f_PreOwnedVehicleSearch_1.chtml

Scroll down through the list for the 01 330xi w/stick.

Ed

the e46xi sucks

because

All the steering/suspension/torque match goodness of the 328i rwd/sport is thrown away.

moreover

Anyway I've had my fill of e46's

Sharp11
10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Equ,

These cars may not be pretty, but they're cheap and reliable and you can sleep nights having parked one out on the street.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/index.jsp?dealership_view_name=somersetsubaru&car_id=210660645&dealer_id=68576

FC
10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Most of those carts are out of warranty. The Saabaru is a more fun car and he can get an '05 with 2+ years of warranty left for less than any of those (Linear).:dunno:

equ
10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Disclosure: I've bought the subaru impreza that my gf drives, so in some sense I already have (or more accurately for truly extreme weather and ski trips, have access to) a fun, all-weather car. Too bad we don't live in the same town.

JST: That's some lovely editing. ;)

FC: Great analysis. It's sad that I've totally spoiled myself for handling AND luxury (at least I'm holding off on the power bit for now). However the "job" isn't to do a million miles for the cheapest price and I think some pampering is in order :) Saabarus are cool and I'd buy one for my gf if her impreza craps out (which is not happening anytime soon - nothing is going wrong on that). The non-turbo one will be too similar to my gf's car, no point in owning that.

Ed: Thanks again, but c'mon, have you read my comments? I cannot possibly get a Forester. I think a 4-7 year old e39 is not such a liability on the street, there's quite a few of them in my neighborhood. I'll just wash/rejex religiously. I'm thinking of a nice e39 in the high teens and budgeting 1-2k/year for the e39 maintenance. Is that unreasonable? :dunno:

Nick/bren: Good points. I also don't care much about the dash pixels or handbrake. If the headlight cover is an easy/cheap replacement, that's great news. The big deal is the engine. It's not just throttle response. At 5-10mph, when you've gone off the clutch in 1st gear, at times (moderate load) the car bucks a bit (come to think of it e46m3's do it too if you get your throttle wrong in sports mode :lol: ). Could be low torque to weight ratio of the 528i, but I'm scared of vanos stuff. Hence the single/double vanos questions. I'm thinking of taking to Autotechnic in CT, they seem to have a bunch of racing bmws.

FC
10-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Disclosure: I've bought the subaru impreza that my gf drives, so in some sense I already have (or more accurately for truly extreme weather and ski trips, have access to) a fun, all-weather car. Too bad we don't live in the same town.

Well damn, you should have mentioned that earlier!:mad2:

In that case, and given that you are in NYC, you don't need AWD. RWD+snows is more than enough.

I 2nd the E39 move. This would be a "comfy" 'round town car, right?

equ
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Yay, finally approval from the 'mudgeons. Now waiting for Ed's blessing...:eeps:

rumatt
10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Yay, finally approval from the 'mudgeons. Now waiting for Ed's blessing...:eeps:

I don't approve. :p

You said you didn't want to deal with snow tires any more. :dunno:

Sharp11
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM

Makes no difference what I think, we all like different things.

Do what makes you happy.:)

Ed

equ
10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Do what makes you happy.:)

Ed

Obviously, I was hoping that it was apparent that I was joking.

Matt: Well, somewhere in there in that long post, I mention that I'd rather cart up those wheels than drive a nasty older xi or a4.

Sharp11
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm thinking of taking to Autotechnic in CT, they seem to have a bunch of racing bmws.

Be careful with these guys, I had some issues with them in ordering parts for my previous BMW. I had to track down things that were delivered to them - parts that were sitting right there on the shelf while my car was sitting on a lift in a race shop.

I'd recommend Stonebridge Garage in Bethel, CT for all your mechanical needs. The owner, Mike, is an SCCA championship racer and a restorer of British sports cars. It's a great place to visit, he has a showroom full of whatever he's working on - including some old Datsun 510 racing cars, roadsters for sale and two Porsche 944's he's selling.

Mike's a great guy, he'll talk for a long time about cars and driving and really loves what he does. He'll watch out for you and won't charge you an arm and a leg.

I owe him a visit, time for an oil change and snow tire swap (almost time).

I'll get his number for you if you're interested.

BTW, he does all the servicing on his mom's BMW 528 so, there ya go :thumbsup:

Ed

equ
10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Ed: Thanks a lot, I'm going to try to use him instead.

Actually, no one has hit upon the greatest potential pitfall in my e39 idea: the illiquidity of a 5spd 528/530.

540's attract the sporty crowd so MT will probably do ok, but the manual I6's have a very limited audience. While I never swap cars just for the heck of it, I do have a history of changing frequently and I'm a bit concerned that a manual e39 (especially an I6) would be in my hands forever. I for one am not considering 525i's at all. Already 540's are barely distinguishable from 528/530's in price. How many people into stick shifts are not into power? I'm definitely limiting my resale market.

FC
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree with you in that I'd think it would be more trouble to sell an I-6 E39 MT. Those are the tough choices. You never know though. There could always be a TD or a future you looking for just such a car.

killerdeck
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree with you in that I'd think it would be more trouble to sell an I-6 E39 MT. Those are the tough choices. You never know though. There could always be a TD or a future you looking for just such a car.

From watching eBay over the last few months, this is a BIG issue. There have been at least a few E39s that have been listed with very good prices and not sold after 4 or 5 relistings. I saw a 2003 E39 530i with manual, 40,xxx miles, still under warranty for $22,000! No takers!

rumatt
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, if they're so hard to sell, that means you should be able to buy one a pretty good price as well.

Buy it for cheap enough, and you shouldn't have TOO hard of time selling and getting a good chunk of your money back.

lemming
10-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I think you're making a mistake going this way, it's your call, but I think you're shopping emotionally rather than practically - call it Stuka-itis.

Older five's are nice cars, but you'd better strike up a relationship with a quality independent shop as long term ownership of these things can be quite a drain on your pocketbook.

As for the theft issues :dunno:

Ed

i'm paying attention to your (and FC's) advice, E. :D

it's hard for me to pass up a loaded up turbo Outback, even though i would vastly prefer an E350 4matic wagon. a lot of hand wringing going on at the moment between an a6 avant, an e60 xiT and the 4matic wagon. your little voice is in my head, though, so i go back to hand wringing instead of paper signing.

that and it'd be hard to drive a slow car.

TD
10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay, late to the party, but...

I'd vote for a 528i over a 530i any day. The added power of the 530i comes with the loss of throttle and clutch feel. Think of how the E46 328i felt compared to the '01 330i. That carries over to the E39s. I'd never get an E39 530i.

But a 540i? That's an entirely different question.

equ
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Okay, late to the party, but...

I'd vote for a 528i over a 530i any day. The added power of the 530i comes with the loss of throttle and clutch feel. Think of how the E46 328i felt compared to the '01 330i. That carries over to the E39s. I'd never get an E39 530i.

But a 540i? That's an entirely different question.

TD: We think alike. At the very time you were posting, I was doing a really short test drive in a 530 sport, 2003, very nice condition. I did find it hard to drive. In exactly the same way as the later e46's, it required focus to shift smoothly. Clutch stop & cdv will help, but that's only a halfway fix. I mentioned my difficulty shifting to the dealer and he looked at me as if I had two heads. Not thinking about shifts/engagement points in the drive home back in the porsche was very pleasant :thumbup:

However, it felt a LOT more powerful than the 528 I drove. It was obvious that I wouldn't need the 540. It was raining heavily with bad visibility so things feel more powerful than you think but the car felt just as fast as the zhp. Now that I don't have one, I'm beginning to think the low end of the non-zhp m54 maybe stronger than the zhp. It really is sad that an engine as nice and dependable as the m54 is not available with a nice clutch/throttle.

I'm holding off on the 540 comments until I drive it again. Not so keen yet.

528 questions:
1. Should it feel close in power to the 530?
2. Are 98s (single vanos) really more reliable than 99-00 (double vanos) a la claimed in 'fest and 'fly threads?

wdc330i
10-18-2006, 09:58 AM
TD: We think alike. At the very time you were posting, I was doing a really short test drive in a 530 sport, 2003, very nice condition. I did find it hard to drive. In exactly the same way as the later e46's, it required focus to shift smoothly. Clutch stop & cdv will help, but that's only a halfway fix. I mentioned my difficulty shifting to the dealer and he looked at me as if I had two heads. Not thinking about shifts/engagement points in the drive home back in the porsche was very pleasant :thumbup:

However, it felt a LOT more powerful than the 528 I drove. It was obvious that I wouldn't need the 540. It was raining heavily with bad visibility so things feel more powerful than you think but the car felt just as fast as the zhp. Now that I don't have one, I'm beginning to think the low end of the non-zhp m54 maybe stronger than the zhp. It really is sad that an engine as nice and dependable as the m54 is not available with a nice clutch/throttle.

I'm holding off on the 540 comments until I drive it again. Not so keen yet.

528 questions:
1. Should it feel close in power to the 530?
2. Are 98s (single vanos) really more reliable than 99-00 (double vanos) a la claimed in 'fest and 'fly threads?

Isn't there about a 30 hp difference between the two? So, I'd say that's a big leap.

lemming
10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Isn't there about a 30 hp difference between the two? So, I'd say that's a big leap.

JV and I are thinking like that A3 with the tiptronic is faster.

equ
10-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Ahem, dig taken... I must admit I'm partial to the image of the a3. I'm not seriously considering them as I'd want a 2.0T, quattro, manual and that doesn't exist on this side of the pond. While I'm sure the dsg 3.2q is fine to drive (and most likely faster than a 528) it's not worth the money. It is a good package of interior/luggage space as well as being easy to park so it would be a nice complement to the croc.

Right now I've predictably upped the budget and the frontrunner is a clean 530i yet to be found. From one that I drove, I think the power/looks improvement is worth it over the slightly smoother clutch in the 528i - though I haven't ruled out that really nice one yet.

A coworker into cars is betting that I'll get a 3er for the third time :lol:

wdc330i
10-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Ahem, dig taken... I must admit I'm partial to the image of the a3. I'm not seriously considering them as I'd want a 2.0T, quattro, manual and that doesn't exist on this side of the pond. While I'm sure the dsg 3.2q is fine to drive (and most likely faster than a 528) it's not worth the money. It is a good package of interior/luggage space as well as being easy to park so it would be a nice complement to the croc.

Right now I've predictably upped the budget and the frontrunner is a clean 530i yet to be found. From one that I drove, I think the power/looks improvement is worth it over the slightly smoother clutch in the 528i - though I haven't ruled out that really nice one yet.

A coworker into cars is betting that I'll get a 3er for the third time :lol:

I once asked a BMW mechanic which model was the least trouble-prone. He said the E39. And he was planning on getting one himself.