PDA

View Full Version : the latest silly idea

clyde
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've made the decision to get a big SUV (probably a used Armada/QX56 or a Suburban (possibly new, depending on pricing/financing options when it comes time near the end of the year).

But I'm also thinking of getting something pretty cheap for commuting. The car I've been thinking about today is a 1985.5 or later 944. I know that they have some trouble spots and can be expensive to maintain, but I've lusted after this car (particularly the Turbo) for 20 years. I test drove a few many years ago, but for one reason or another they were never the right car at the right time. Maybe that's different now. I don't know...

bren
09-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Might as well just get a C4 :p

JST
09-13-2006, 12:37 PM

In the vein of Miller Lite commercials, Let's watch both!

Conversions of 944s to Chevrolet small blocks appear to be readily doable and fairly cheap. Not only does this give you V8 power in the excellent 944 chassis, it also deletes the major source of expense from the 944 ownership experience. And it will give you experience that will be helpful in building a Cobra.

TD
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Yup. That's pretty silly.

John V
09-13-2006, 12:57 PM
In the vein of Miller Lite commercials, Let's watch both!

Conversions of 944s to Chevrolet small blocks appear to be readily doable and fairly cheap. Not only does this give you V8 power in the excellent 944 chassis, it also deletes the major source of expense from the 944 ownership experience. And it will give you experience that will be helpful in building a Cobra.

I'd do a V8 in a second-gen RX-7 first.

bren
09-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Don't 944's have a rear-mounted transaxle? That can't be cheap.

clyde
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I've been thinking about that too...

The two big disadvantages are that 1) the initial outlay would probably be about twice what I'd want to spend and 2) a C4 wouldn't work so well in the snow. Been there, done that, rather not do it again.

Plaz
09-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I was never a big fan of the 944. :dunno:

Now that V8 in an early 90s RX-7 idea... yummy.

bren
09-13-2006, 06:17 PM
...a C4 wouldn't work so well in the snow. Been there, done that, rather not do it again.

Uh, how about using the truck? :?

FT@SGP
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
I'd vote a 944, that is once special sleeper IMHO.

Rob
09-19-2006, 01:28 PM
I love the 944. It's a great car. If you can find one that is worth owning, it sounds like a great idea.

Alan
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
A 20 yr old car ? ? Sounds like a big mistake unless it is a project car.

What happened to the RX8 ?

clyde
09-29-2006, 09:00 PM
A 20 yr old car ? ? Sounds like a big mistake unless it is a project car.

Mistake? Possibly, but not because of its age.

What happened to the RX8 ?

Nothing, yet. But it will be gone by the end of November. Look for a new thread in the next week or two...

iateyourcheese
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Nothing, yet. But it will be gone by the end of November. Look for a new thread in the next week or two...

:devpop: I loves me a good waffling thread.

Alan
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Absolutely because of it's age :devpop:

Sharp11
10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've made the decision to get a big SUV (probably a used Armada/QX56 or a Suburban (possibly new, depending on pricing/financing options when it comes time near the end of the year).

But I'm also thinking of getting something pretty cheap for commuting. The car I've been thinking about today is a 1985.5 or later 944. I know that they have some trouble spots and can be expensive to maintain, but I've lusted after this car (particularly the Turbo) for 20 years. I test drove a few many years ago, but for one reason or another they were never the right car at the right time. Maybe that's different now. I don't know...

Ford has a new full sized SUV which is not quite as big as an Excursion, but larger than a regular Expedition (I think that's the right name).

What's nice about it is it gets a full ladder type frame with the company's IRS with half-shafts set low through the frame allowing for a huge 130 cubic feet of cargo space and an eight passenger layout.

Also, the ladder frame makes a double wish-bone front suspension a necessity - so put that in your pipe and smoke it :lol:

Ed

lupinsea
10-07-2006, 12:12 PM
If you have a 4x4 lying about why would you worry about whether or nor your sporty car can handle snow? I'd just take the 4x4.

clyde
10-07-2006, 04:06 PM
If you have a 4x4 lying about why would you worry about whether or nor your sporty car can handle snow? I'd just take the 4x4.
hmm...let's see...

2+ tons of mass to stop and turn in limited traction conditions or 1.5 tons to stop and turn. Gee, I wonder which is the better choice? :scratch:

A 4x4 only has advantages in accelerating from a stop, moving uphill and clearance. The forward motion advantages (almost entirely) disappear when the RWD car has snow tires and the 4x4 has all seasons. The clearance issue isn't much of an issue when you aren't going to be going out at all when it's an issue.

And I'd have snows on the 944, but wouldn't go to the expense and effort on an SUV.

clyde
10-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Ford has a new full sized SUV which is not quite as big as an Excursion, but larger than a regular Expedition (I think that's the right name).

What's nice about it is it gets a full ladder type frame with the company's IRS with half-shafts set low through the frame allowing for a huge 130 cubic feet of cargo space and an eight passenger layout.

Also, the ladder frame makes a double wish-bone front suspension a necessity - so put that in your pipe and smoke it :lol:

Ed
The Exorbitant (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/exorbitant.html)? :dunno:

No, the Expedition EL is worth a look, I suppose, but it's still just a half ton. At the price, the Tahoe, 1/2 ton Suburban and Armadas still look like they'd be better.

lemming
10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
The Exorbitant (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/exorbitant.html)? :dunno:

No, the Expedition EL is worth a look, I suppose, but it's still just a half ton. At the price, the Tahoe, 1/2 ton Suburban and Armadas still look like they'd be better.

stopped by to checkout the Tahoe today. the interior is really nice (compared to last generation).

sticker was 40k though. i have to go and see how much they're willing to dicker. i need more seat time and i might go back tomorrow. their test loop sucks so i'm going to ask for a longer test drive.

Alan
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
stopped by to checkout the Tahoe today. the interior is really nice (compared to last generation).

sticker was 40k though. i have to go and see how much they're willing to dicker. i need more seat time and i might go back tomorrow. their test loop sucks so i'm going to ask for a longer test drive.

GM did a great job on the new Tahoe ... I really like hte way it looks ... the only thing that bothers me is the front of the car is as high as my chest ... My god that thing is big & high up :eek:

lip277
10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
To tell the truth... (as an owner/driver of a 2001 Yukon...)
I do not like the exterior of the new truck. TOO BIG!!!
The interior is OK - but...
I actually don't mind the 'plastic' and all. It's a truck for Pete's sake.
One thing.. My truck has a 500# higher tow rating than the new version.
Why? All those motors and gadgets they install in the new trucks weigh a ton. The curb weight on the new ones is considerably higher than mine (like, uh... 500#... hehe)

And - with ~125,000 miles now on mine.... and going strong...
Not a problem to keep it for a while longer.

rumatt
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
hmm...let's see...

2+ tons of mass to stop and turn in limited traction conditions or 1.5 tons to stop and turn. Gee, I wonder which is the better choice? :scratch:

A 4x4 only has advantages in accelerating from a stop, moving uphill and clearance. The forward motion advantages (almost entirely) disappear when the RWD car has snow tires and the 4x4 has all seasons. The clearance issue isn't much of an issue when you aren't going to be going out at all when it's an issue.

And I'd have snows on the 944, but wouldn't go to the expense and effort on an SUV.

I'm on the RWD + snows bandwagon, probably as much as anyone else here...

but if I already owned an AWD SUV, I probably wouldn't be driving my RWD autox car on snow days.

clyde
10-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I probably wouldn't be driving my RWD autox car on snow days.

who says that it's an autox car?

lemming
10-08-2006, 09:51 AM
To tell the truth... (as an owner/driver of a 2001 Yukon...)
I do not like the exterior of the new truck. TOO BIG!!!
The interior is OK - but...
I actually don't mind the 'plastic' and all. It's a truck for Pete's sake.
One thing.. My truck has a 500# higher tow rating than the new version.
Why? All those motors and gadgets they install in the new trucks weigh a ton. The curb weight on the new ones is considerably higher than mine (like, uh... 500#... hehe)

And - with ~125,000 miles now on mine.... and going strong...
Not a problem to keep it for a while longer.

my summary is that it's one of the nicest trucks i've ever driven. but it's still really trucky and i'd be unthrilled driving it myself unless i only had to do it on rare days when i'd be towing something.

drove the FX there so i could do an immediate comparison. it wasn't pretty.

lip277
10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
my summary is that it's one of the nicest trucks i've ever driven. but it's still really trucky and i'd be unthrilled driving it myself unless i only had to do it on rare days when i'd be towing something.

drove the FX there so i could do an immediate comparison. it wasn't pretty.

Sure - compare a ladder on frame 'truck' to a unibody SAV - No kidding that they drive different. Nissan sure would hope so as well.

Tow ratings
Tahoe - 8,200 lb
FX - 3,500 lb