PDA

View Full Version : my turn

clyde
07-08-2006, 10:55 PM
okay, my turn...

As many of you know, my plans right now are to sell the RX-8 at the end of the season, probably November-December or so. The options are pretty diverse and I have no idea what I'm going to do...but I'm going to have to do something.

There's two basic paths I can take...Option A) get another car intended primarily for competition but serving double duty as a short distance commuter or Option B) get something else and compete in someone else's car for at least a year.

The possible cars on the list under Option A right now (and subject to change) are a Solstice (base or GXP), C4 Corvette (for either AS or eventual build into BSP), C5Z06 (SS for a year and then sell or start building into ASP or SM2), and Elise (unlikely, but worth mentioning).

If I went with Option B, I'm looking at two major subpaths...Option B1) something to tow someone else's car with that would be as comfy as possible for regular use (commuting, errand running, family trips, etc). Option B2) a regular car that would be fun, and well suited to use as a normal car.

Possibilities for Option B1) Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, Suburban, Tahoe, (and other Chevy/GMC derivatives)...all used or maybe a Trailblazer SS.

Possibilities for Option B2) Dodge Charger R/T or SRT-8, Dodge Magnum R/T or SRT-8 (the R/T versions could potentially tow a car on dolly :eeps: ) or CTS-V.

If I go with an Option B, possible cars that I may be able codrive on a regular basis are a 2000 Boxster S, a Solstice (base or GXP), or something else to be developed.

If I go with Option A, I may be able to find someone to codrive with me that would tow to national events, or I may not.

Having the option to tow to national events is a big deal to me and I'd really like to be able to have a daily driver that's not a piece of crap (cough: buick) that isn't my competition vehicle.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Just thought that I would share.

bren
07-08-2006, 11:08 PM
You left out STU/BSP/SM RX8.

clyde
07-08-2006, 11:15 PM
You left out STU/BSP/SM RX8.

Possible, but unlikley...at least before 2008 (which would probably start with buying a salvage RX-8 and just building straight to SM).

Sharp11
07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, since opinions from total strangers are absolutely worthless, I'll throw one in the ring.

Get the Solstice!!! Why wouldn't you? It's a two-seater, it's bound to be fun as hell, it's a convertible and it's relatively cheap. Also, according to you guys, it's competitive.

Let your hair down, have some fun - why intellectualize? It's just a car, you'll get another, and another etc.

As for the Suv option: I don't get it. You'd toil with an Suv year-round so you could tow someone else's car to events? Something you wouldn't need to do if you had your own, say, Solstice.

As for the Dodge Magnum etc. al options - yikes!!! It's painful just thinking about it.

Yours truly,

Bonafide sports car guy.

Ed

rumatt
07-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Those are a lot of options and sub-options! :ack:

clyde
07-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Those are a lot of options and sub-options! :ack:

I trimmed the list considerably. :eeps:

clyde
07-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Well, since opinions from total strangers are absolutely worthless, I'll throw one in the ring.

:thumbup: That's what I started the thread for. :D

Get the Solstice!!! Why wouldn't you? It's a two-seater, it's bound to be fun as hell, it's a convertible and it's relatively cheap. Also, according to you guys, it's competitive.

Let your hair down, have some fun - why intellectualize? It's just a car, you'll get another, and another etc.

Yes, there will be many cars along the line, but the main purpose of this car will be competition. "Fun" doesn't matter. Ability to win does. The ability to carry/pull all of the stuff it needs for a weekend (or more) of competition is a big plus, but not critical. Secondary purpose for the car would be to get me to/from the subway five days a week. The commute is short, distance wise, and there is nary an opportunity to have fun or enjoy any part of it from a driving perspective. If it has to be done, doing it in a car that is comfortable, has creature comforts, doesn't sound like it's falling apart (as all good race cars do), doesn't look like a boyricer wannabe on the street, is useful serving the utilitarian all aspects of the automotive role, and makes the compromises necessary for reality is far preferable. But if that's the way that I have to go (or choose to), that's the way.

Why wouldn't I get the Solstice, though? All the other cars on that list are proven to be competitive (although they may or may not continue to be so next year or the year after, and that's the extent of my time horizon considerations). The Solstice appears to be competitive, but it is not yet proven...and things could very easily change for 2007, and probably will for 2008. Mazda is not happy about the Solstice kicking new MX-5 booty in SSB racing and they probably aren't happy about how Solo is starting to look either. It wouldn't surprise anyone if they were to add an "R" package that fixes many of the car's most serious flaws...and that could knock the Solstice into instant irrelevance. Of course, it's just as likely that Mazda will introduce an "R" package that is an improvement but doesn't go nearly far enough to actually fix anything...they've done it before in the past few years...several times. Plus, with the inclusion of the Z0K pacakage, it's unlikely that Pontiac would just roll over and play dead...but I'd have to get a new car to take advantage...and live through the down time. It's a nasty fight to get caught in the middle of. But it's part of competing in Stock. And it contributes to most of the reasons why I wouldn't buy a Solstice.

For reference, though, if I get a Solstice, find a codriver that can/will tow, and I find another beater to commute with, the Solstice probably wouldn't see much more than 1,000 miles a year for the 2-3 years that I'd probably have it.

As for the Suv option: I don't get it. You'd toil with an Suv year-round so you could tow someone else's car to events? Something you wouldn't need to do if you had your own, say, Solstice.

If I had my own, say, Solstice, I'd have to arrange for someone else to carry all my shit for me. It can be done, but it gets old and it never feels good asking people to do things for you over and over again. And driving the Solstice everywhere increases the chances of breaking it exponentially...and breaking it in some distance away from home when that's what you were planning on using to get back home would kind of suck. There's a romantic element to making long drives in small two seaters, but based on my experience, driving cross country in stiff riding, loud, small two seaters (or four seaters with enough crap in back that you can't recline your seat enough to be comfortable) is a tad bit draining, fatiguing, and much more fun to talk about later than it is to actually do.

"Toil" in an SUV? I don't understand. :dunno:

As for the Dodge Magnum etc. al options - yikes!!! It's painful just thinking about it.

Massive horsepower and torque. It should only hurt if it's your ass that it's kicking. :ack:

Bonafide sports car guy.
When did you get a stick in your Z4? :?

:p

Sharp11
07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
:thumbup: That's what I started the thread for. :D

Yes, there will be many cars along the line, but the main purpose of this car will be competition.

Sounds to me like you need to go, if possible, the third car route, I would think no dedicated autox car, at the level you want to compete in, is going to serve all your needs, especially as a cross-country companion.

You could make something like the Solstice your third car/weekend car-racer and get a daily beater (but that doesn't solve your cartage issue).

Perhaps a cheap autox car, say, an older Mazda Miata (this is what I see at many of the events) towed by an Suv or nice pick-up, (almost no one seems to bring "nice" cars to events, trailered).

The Solstice is severely hindered in terms of cargo space, so as a solo choice, it might not be a good choice - hmmmm, you're in a bit of a pickle. My gut tells me you need a dedicated autocross car, perhaps waiting it out a season, then does make sense. Buy the tow vehicle now and watch what happens (the rumor is there's a Mazdaspeed MX5 in the works).

I think you'd need to hit the lottery to do what you really want, that would be Solstice towed by Suv/Magnum etc.

Fwiw, I haven't been able to convince my wife of the value of a third car, hence the auto tranny. Also, third cars have to have a place to stay, and in our case, that would mean outdoors in the driveway all winter being shuffled around before the snow plow comes.

Ed

John V
07-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Step 1: Purchase SRT vehicle that can tow Boxster S on dolley.

Step 2: ...

Step 3: Profit.

JST
07-09-2006, 05:06 PM
okay, my turn...

As many of you know, my plans right now are to sell the RX-8 at the end of the season, probably November-December or so. The options are pretty diverse and I have no idea what I'm going to do...but I'm going to have to do something.

There's two basic paths I can take...Option A) get another car intended primarily for competition but serving double duty as a short distance commuter or Option B) get something else and compete in someone else's car for at least a year.

The possible cars on the list under Option A right now (and subject to change) are a Solstice (base or GXP), C4 Corvette (for either AS or eventual build into BSP), C5Z06 (SS for a year and then sell or start building into ASP or SM2), and Elise (unlikely, but worth mentioning).

If I went with Option B, I'm looking at two major subpaths...Option B1) something to tow someone else's car with that would be as comfy as possible for regular use (commuting, errand running, family trips, etc). Option B2) a regular car that would be fun, and well suited to use as a normal car.

Possibilities for Option B1) Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, Suburban, Tahoe, (and other Chevy/GMC derivatives)...all used or maybe a Trailblazer SS.

Possibilities for Option B2) Dodge Charger R/T or SRT-8, Dodge Magnum R/T or SRT-8 (the R/T versions could potentially tow a car on dolly :eeps: ) or CTS-V.

If I go with an Option B, possible cars that I may be able codrive on a regular basis are a 2000 Boxster S, a Solstice (base or GXP), or something else to be developed.

If I go with Option A, I may be able to find someone to codrive with me that would tow to national events, or I may not.

Having the option to tow to national events is a big deal to me and I'd really like to be able to have a daily driver that's not a piece of crap (cough: buick) that isn't my competition vehicle.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Just thought that I would share.

What about a ZHP to fill the Option A shoes? I might know someone who has one for sale. :eeps:

Without a detailed knowledge of what is and isn't competitive, my input is pretty limited. If it were me, and I could find a partner that had a competitive car that I had a good relationship with, I'd probably just purchase a (relatively) cheap tow vehicle. That way, the real financial burden is on someone else, and if the rules change underneath you it is they, rather than you, that has to carry the water of changing cars. Tow vehicles are rarely made obsolete by rule changes.

If I went that route, I probably wouldn't get something like a Trailblazer SS. Instead, I'd probably get something cheaper and use some of the left over money to buy something moderately fun, like an older Mustang or Miata.

clyde
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
What about a ZHP to fill the Option A shoes? I might know someone who has one for sale. :eeps:

Doesn't it have the big, stupid, poseur hole in the roof? :toetap:

The main problem with it is that it is a terribly frustrating car to autocross within the prop limitations of the class. Other than that, I suppose that the philosophy of preferred car didn't quite come through with my list: really nimble, really powerful, or both. The ZHP is really neither. Like I said up the thread, the ability to win is what matters most, and I do believe that this should be the year of the ZHP. Next year, though, :dunno: The ZHP may not be able to keep up with the E90 or perhaps the E92...or, there may not even be a D Stock next year.

Without a detailed knowledge of what is and isn't competitive, my input is pretty limited.

For 2007, we're probably looking at:

SS - Elise, GT3, C6Z06, maybe the C5Z06 will still be competitive
AS - C4, S2K, 986, 993 perhaps, Sol GXP possibly
BS - RX8, 350Z
CS - Sol
DS - 330/ZHP
ES - MX5
FS - one pony car or another
GS - MCS
HS - MC

There may be a couple other cars that could get it done, but they're so far outside, that I wouldn't consider them. I don't want to go FWD, which eliminates a couple. The GT3 and C6Z06 are out of my price range, which eliminate a couple more. I don't really care to run a Miata, so that further narrows the field. I don't think that I want an S2K...I think it will be too similar to the RX-8. The RX-8 I already have, and the 350 is kind of like the 330 in that has too many issues that need to be driven around. As much as I would like a new Mustang, and the appearance that the new one can be competitive (at least until the new Camaro shows up), it falls into that "must drive around problems" category as well. The 986...if that's what I want to do, I can drive someone else's. So, what's left now?

Elise, C5Z06, C4, 993 and Solstice (base or GXP).

So, probably a list of six cars. None of the cars is a guaranteed lock to be *the* car for its class (and the C5Z06 may turn out to be way off the pace while the GXP still hasn't been driven or classed and thus an educated guess).

If it were me, and I could find a partner that had a competitive car that I had a good relationship with, I'd probably just purchase a (relatively) cheap tow vehicle. That way, the real financial burden is on someone else, and if the rules change underneath you it is they, rather than you, that has to carry the water of changing cars. Tow vehicles are rarely made obsolete by rule changes.

If I went that route, I probably wouldn't get something like a Trailblazer SS. Instead, I'd probably get something cheaper and use some of the left over money to buy something moderately fun, like an older Mustang or Miata.

The tow vehicle route may be the best way. If I go that way, though, it will probably be something on the bigger side and probably more pricey than it needs to be to make it more suitable for more tasks.

I think my first choice at this point is a Charger SRT-8, followed pretty closely by an Armada/QX56, and the C5Z06 and Elise are neck and neck right behind that with the Solstice versions just barely behind... From first to last, they're all with about 0.3xx seconds. :eeps:

Alan
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
you lost me at option M sub catagory 2, sub catagory b

In other words .... HUH ? ?

JST
07-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Doesn't it have the big, stupid, poseur hole in the roof? :toetap:

Of course. But then again, so do all of the E90s and E92s...and mine is 150-350 lbs lighter. :ack:

The main problem with it is that it is a terribly frustrating car to autocross within the prop limitations of the class. Other than that, I suppose that the philosophy of preferred car didn't quite come through with my list: really nimble, really powerful, or both. The ZHP is really neither. Like I said up the thread, the ability to win is what matters most, and I do believe that this should be the year of the ZHP. Next year, though, :dunno: The ZHP may not be able to keep up with the E90 or perhaps the E92...or, there may not even be a D Stock next year.

For 2007, we're probably looking at:

SS - Elise, GT3, C6Z06, maybe the C5Z06 will still be competitive
AS - C4, S2K, 986, 993 perhaps, Sol GXP possibly
BS - RX8, 350Z
CS - Sol
DS - 330/ZHP
ES - MX5
FS - one pony car or another
GS - MCS
HS - MC

There may be a couple other cars that could get it done, but they're so far outside, that I wouldn't consider them. I don't want to go FWD, which eliminates a couple. The GT3 and C6Z06 are out of my price range, which eliminate a couple more. I don't really care to run a Miata, so that further narrows the field. I don't think that I want an S2K...I think it will be too similar to the RX-8. The RX-8 I already have, and the 350 is kind of like the 330 in that has too many issues that need to be driven around. As much as I would like a new Mustang, and the appearance that the new one can be competitive (at least until the new Camaro shows up), it falls into that "must drive around problems" category as well. The 986...if that's what I want to do, I can drive someone else's. So, what's left now?

Elise, C5Z06, C4, 993 and Solstice (base or GXP).

So, probably a list of six cars. None of the cars is a guaranteed lock to be *the* car for its class (and the C5Z06 may turn out to be way off the pace while the GXP still hasn't been driven or classed and thus an educated guess).

The tow vehicle route may be the best way. If I go that way, though, it will probably be something on the bigger side and probably more pricey than it needs to be to make it more suitable for more tasks.

I think my first choice at this point is a Charger SRT-8, followed pretty closely by an Armada/QX56, and the C5Z06 and Elise are neck and neck right behind that with the Solstice versions just barely behind... From first to last, they're all with about 0.3xx seconds. :eeps:

Far be it from me to question the desire to own something different, but if ability to win truly is the sine qua non, what is wrong with keeping the RX-8? You've got seat time in that, you at least think it is going to (continue?) to be one of the most competitive cars in the class, it's a blast to drive (compared, e.g., to the ZHP, which I agree is frustrating)...are you just changing for changes sake? Have you hit a wall with the RX-8 that you don't think will be there with something else?

Assuming you want a change, I think there's nothing wrong with your SRT-8 plan (though I haven't driven one). I did drive a CTS-V again yesterday, and that is a honey of a car. Given that used ones are available for the same or less money than an SRT-8, I'd be hard pressed to turn down a real transmission in favor of the iron block DaimlerChrysler.

bren
07-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I did drive a CTS-V again yesterday, and that is a honey of a car. Given that used ones are available for the same or less money than an SRT-8, I'd be hard pressed to turn down a real transmission in favor of the iron block DaimlerChrysler.
I was at a Caddy dealer a couple of days ago and it sounded like there are good deals to be had on the 06's. The salesman told me that they have 07 CTS-V's in inventory and plenty of 06's are still available.

JST
07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I was at a Caddy dealer a couple of days ago and it sounded like there are good deals to be had on the 06's. The salesman told me that they have 07 CTS-V's in inventory and plenty of 06's are still available.

According to the Cadillac website, there's 3K in cash rebates or 0 percent financing on 06 CTS-Vs. There's a red one in Waldorf that has the (now optional) summer performance tires. Not that I've been giving it much thought.

bren
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Not that I've been giving it much thought.
Hmm...so how do those lease change-over deals work :eeps:

ff
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
There's a red one in Waldorf that has the (now optional) summer performance tires.

Summer perf. tires are optional?? :? Can't imagine wanting the car with crappy all seasons. What's the point?

JST
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Summer perf. tires are optional?? :? Can't imagine wanting the car with crappy all seasons. What's the point?

Apparently GM made the change after owners were complaining about only getting less than 10K miles out of the monstrously expensive F1 runflats. The cynic in me guesses that going to a lower-traction tire might help the company with warranty claims related to the rear diff (and with axle tramp issues).

Why would you want all seasons? If you live somewhere where it doesn't snow enough to justify snows but is cold enough to make winter tires annoying for several months, and you aren't wedded to ultimate grip on the street, and/or you don't have room to store an extra set of tires, it makes sense.

They also make tail slides easier. :eeps:

rumatt
07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't see how you can spend any substantial energy thinking about this decision until you know exactly what changes are happening.

If you buy the tow vehicle and hunt for codrives, what are your odds of not finding a competitive ride? I'd guess pretty small, no?

clyde
07-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Far be it from me to question the desire to own something different, but if ability to win truly is the sine qua non, what is wrong with keeping the RX-8? You've got seat time in that, you at least think it is going to (continue?) to be one of the most competitive cars in the class, it's a blast to drive (compared, e.g., to the ZHP, which I agree is frustrating)...are you just changing for changes sake? Have you hit a wall with the RX-8 that you don't think will be there with something else?

There is an element of wanting to just move on to something different at work. I don't think that staying in the RX-8 any longer will benefit me much. I know how to drive it and I know how to set it up. When my head is working right, I can run with the fastest guys around. Going through the process of learning how to set up another car appeals to me right now, as does learning to drive something with a different kind of character. I think that I have a lot more to gain long term by doing that than by sticking it out.

Assuming you want a change, I think there's nothing wrong with your SRT-8 plan (though I haven't driven one). I did drive a CTS-V again yesterday, and that is a honey of a car. Given that used ones are available for the same or less money than an SRT-8, I'd be hard pressed to turn down a real transmission in favor of the iron block DaimlerChrysler.
Discussion of fun cars or third cars and whatnot kind of fall on deaf ears when it comes my way. I don't go out for spirited drives any more because they don't really do anything for me because I can't/won't drive it to the limit on a public road. There's too much risk and absolutely no reward.

Between the SRT-8s and CTS-V, I don't think there's a bad choice to be made. The stick/slushie argument is kind of moot. While my preference is for a stick if available, it's not much of a consideration, let alone a dealbreaker, if it's not. Ultimately, if a vehicle meets a certain baseline of competency, where it feels okay in regular driving, and has enough power to do what I want, that's enough.

The real question is whether something like an Armada/QX will meet my wants in a daily driver role. If I think it will, that's what I have to go with because it will do the utilitiarian and special case situations much better than a car.

From a strict practicality standpoint, I know that the best thing to do is to buy an Armada and comepte in John's car next year...and it's also the most likely to happen. I just have to go through the options and convince myself of it.

JST
07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
From a strict practicality standpoint, I know that the best thing to do is to buy an Armada and comepte in John's car next year...and it's also the most likely to happen. I just have to go through the opt
ions and convince myself of it.

Is the Armada a better choice than the new Tahoe? I certainly like the way the Tahoe looks better.

EDIT: Or, for that matter, the Expedition, which isn't as outclassed horsepower and torque-wise as it used to be.

CABINBLACKM3
07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I think getting a tow vehicle and having and co-driving a prepped car for National Events has to be the way to go for you Clyde. Have you looked into the toyota sequoia? It looks like a horse on the road.

PS: Now All I got to do is convince Nick that his E46 has seen better times and that he needs a tow vehicle and a trailer...HA HA

Nick M3
07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I think getting a tow vehicle and having and co-driving a prepped car for National Events has to be the way to go for you Clyde. Have you looked into the toyota sequoia? It looks like a horse on the road.

PS: Now All I got to do is convince Nick that his E46 has seen better times and that he needs a tow vehicle and a trailer...HA HA
I'm getting one tow vehicle. Not two. :p

ff
07-10-2006, 06:36 PM
The Sequoia still has the relatively small 4.7 V8. It's more than enough engine for the 4Runner, but I question its real world tow-ability in the heavier Sequoia and Tundra. The Armada, by comparison, pours out a mountain of torque right where you need it. It also manages to get 18 MPG highway in the process (at least it did for us). We drove ours for 38,000 miles, with the only issue being warped brake rotors. Dealer replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads at no cost, no questions asked, and at a point where we were within 1000 miles of the warranty expiring.

The new Tahoe looks nice, and also utilizes the cylinder-cutout deal to improve hwy gas mileage. According to their website, it achieves 21 MPG hwy (4x4). I think it's definitely something worth checking out.

Sharp11
07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
I don't go out for spirited drives any more because they don't really do anything for me because I can't/won't drive it to the limit on a public road. There's too much risk and absolutely no reward.

I hope for your sake, that changes some day. Dropping the top on a summer evening and going for a leisurely drive through the countryside is one of life's simpler pleasures, the reward is - just being able to do it.

Ed

bren
07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
a leisurely drive through the countryside
Don't spend much time in these parts do you? :p

clyde
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Is the Armada a better choice than the new Tahoe? I certainly like the way the Tahoe looks better.

EDIT: Or, for that matter, the Expedition, which isn't as outclassed horsepower and torque-wise as it used to be.
The Sequoia has a sucky tow rating for its size at 6,200 pounds. 6,200 is probably enough, but I'd like to have more headroom. That's the main reason it's not a consideration. The main strike against the Trailblazer SS is it's 6,600 rating.

The Armada has the highest tow rating of all of them at about 9k. The Expedition tops out at 8600 and the Tahoe at 8200. Even 8200 should be well more than enough, but extra is always better.

From what I've seen of the new Tahoe and Expeditions, the Nissan's interior seems like a nicer environment. The QX is a few steps above the Armada and a few more over the the others.

The cost of a new Tahoe or Expedition would probably be comparable to the cost of a 2004 QX56. A 2004 Armada would probably be $5-$8k less than any of them. The 2004 QX and Armada are also predepreciated to some extent, not that it should be a significant factor if I keep it for as long as I plan to (8-10 years).

For the shorter term (until the warranty expires), based on past experiences with Infiniti, Nissan, Ford, and Chevy, Infiniti is the most pleasant to deal with by far from the dealer on up through several levels of escalation (eventually, you get to Nissan when dealing with Inifiniti, but it's still better than if you come up through Nissan).

clyde
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I hope for your sake, that changes some day. Dropping the top on a summer evening and going for a leisurely drive through the countryside is one of life's simpler pleasures, the reward is - just being able to do it.

Ed

Summer evenings are made for working on the race car. The reward is being able to compete on the weekend.

bren
07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Why settle for an Armada when this is clearly more useful for your needs? ;)

http://www.jack-tompkins.com/Bingo/Winnie-Tx-S.jpg

BahnBaum
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM

http://www.jack-tompkins.com/Bingo/Winnie-Tx-S.jpg

Nope. Wrong one, Bren:

http://www.showhauler.com/images/Conv_092104%20781.jpg

Alex

Sharp11
07-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Don't spend much time in these parts do you? :p

Ha, yes, I did think about that after posting - Maryland is losing a lot of its countryside, isn't it.

It's unique up here, we live 65 miles NE of NYC ( one hour, ten minutes by car), yet we have acres and acres of unspoiled land (thanks in large part to the water company battles of the 20's and 30's which saw thousands of acres preserved as watershed).

Even without the watersheds, the NYC metro area is ringed (or more accurately 'half-ringed' ) by rural counties stretching all the way up through NY state, CT and Mass. One of the prettiest places to drive is the foot of the Berkshires where Lime Rock park is located - perfect driving roads from there (western CT) all the way east and north.

Ny route 22 is a spectacular road, you can drive it from Westchester County, north, almost to Canada, and rarely see traffic.

Ed

Sharp11
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Summer evenings are made for working on the race car. The reward is being able to compete on the weekend.

Right, and sex is just for procreation.

Ed

clyde
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Nope. Wrong one, Bren:

What makes you think I haven't considered it? :? :dunno:

clyde
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Right, and sex is just for procreation.

Ed
Feel free to masturbate all you want. Please just don't try to tell me that it even compares to the real thing.

BahnBaum
07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
What makes you think I haven't considered it? :? :dunno:

Nothing makes me think that. I'm not surprised at all.

Considering that I've heard you consider, at various times, everything from a 80's era Volvo to a Scion B to a CTS-V.

Alex

bren
07-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Nope. Wrong one, Bren:

I was trying to be somewhat reasonable :p

That sure would be nice for the trip to Kansas.

rumatt
07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Feel free to masturbate all you want. Please just don't try to tell me that it even compares to the real thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sharp11
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM

If by "real thing" you mean competing in autox's, that's fine, I hope you do it because it's fun, what other reason would there be :dunno:

But any guy who'd buy a Solstice and drive it just 1000 miles a year needs a little more "masturbation" in his life.

Ed

clyde
07-10-2006, 10:42 PM
If by "real thing" you mean competing in autox's, that's fine, I hope you do it because it's fun, what other reason would there be :dunno:

But any guy who'd buy a Solstice and drive it just 1000 miles a year needs a little more "masturbation" in his life.

Ed
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with masturbation...except for that blindness thing, of course.

Sharp11
07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with masturbation...except for that blindness thing, of course.

And the hairy...you know.

lemming
07-11-2006, 04:50 PM
i'm looking into the Magnum R/T also. with awd, it's basically a 4matic wagon with better power to weight.

:-)

Sharp11
07-15-2006, 08:06 PM
What about the Mustang?

It's priced well, for 25 grand you can get the GT coupe with a V8 and a limited slip diff.

It has decent cargo space and would likely be a good long-distance cruiser.

I see you've complained about it as a "must drive around" proposition, but I'm not certain why.

Ed

clyde
07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
What about the Mustang?

It's priced well, for 25 grand you can get the GT coupe with a V8 and a limited slip diff.

It has decent cargo space and would likely be a good long-distance cruiser.

I see you've complained about it as a "must drive around" proposition, but I'm not certain why.

Ed
I've owned 5 (five) 5.0 Mustangs. The new ones are much, much better. I was about *this* close to selling the RX-8 and getting one in the winter of 04-05. I wound up not doing it partly becuase I was not confident that the Mustang could get it done in F Stock. A handful of cars are getting developed now, and the results are promising, though. It's not a car that isn't getting consideration as it sort of splits the difference between two of the things I want (competitive vehicle and decent daily driver), but for the daily driver role, I'd want it with a bunch of heavy options and do some mods that would take it out of Stock and not be enough (or even right) for Street Prepared.

bren
07-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Umm, Clyde: http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/202448.aspx

Dibs on the co-drive!