PDA

View Full Version : Hey JST: 2003 540i 6spd at AA

TD
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.onlybmws.com/va/MultiPics/V040622/V040622.php

JST
05-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I saw that. Higher mileage than I want, I think. Also, I think I have my heart set on an M5 if I go the E39 route.

I do kind of wonder what they'd give me for my car, though.

bren
05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I saw that. Higher mileage than I want, I think. Also, I think I have my heart set on an M5 if I go the E39 route.

I do kind of wonder what they'd give me for my car, though.
Well, it looks like an M5.

What's the lease buy out? :eeps:

TD
05-24-2006, 11:45 AM
IMO, those rims actually look better than the M5 rims.

But you are giving up quite a bit of HP.

JST
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
IMO, those rims actually look better than the M5 rims.

But you are giving up quite a bit of HP.

Agree with you on the rims--my first move after getting an M5 would be to find some M Parallels for it. The OEM rims could be for track/snow duty.

But before I do anything like that I want to see what the E90 335 is and how it is priced.

Sharp11
05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Agree with you on the rims--my first move after getting an M5 would be to find some M Parallels for it. The OEM rims could be for track/snow duty.

But before I do anything like that I want to see what the E90 335 is and how it is priced.

My buddy just got a new M5, his gas mileage is around 12 mpg - yikes!!!

The 335 sounds like a good fit for you.

Ed

John V
05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
I would never buy a car from AutoAdvantage. Their salesteam is slimy, and their cars are generally WAY overpriced given their condition and they won't negotiate on price. I looked at a couple of E36 M3s there before I focused on private-party sales and they left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Theo
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
MMMMMM lemans!!! Its on Ebay as we speak.

I agree with TD and JST, ugly ass rims. I have never liked any of the shadow chrome rims BMW made. Including these, the old Z3M's and the 18's on the E46 M. Bleck!!

TD
05-24-2006, 04:26 PM

I agree with TD and JST, ugly ass rims. I have never liked any of the shadow chrome rims BMW made. Including these, the old Z3M's and the 18's on the E46 M. Bleck!!
Agreed. I do not like any of those rims either.

I always wondered why people with non-M cars were eager to swap out for these rims. Okay, I didn't wonder. But I knew it wasn't because of how attractive they were.

JST
05-24-2006, 04:36 PM

LeMans would be my 3rd choice, behind Imola (rare, but out there) and carbon black.

FC
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
LeMans would be my 3rd choice, behind Imola (rare, but out there) and carbon black.

I am a sucker for Imola, but LeMans is my favorite color.:dunno:

Theo
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM

I allllmost ended up ordering a carbon black m3 last year, but after looking at it in many different lights and differing degrees of cleanlyness, I decided against it. Most of the time it just looked DULL. It had to be the right light and perfectly clean to drop my jaw.

Now Imola is another story. Imola/Carmel(Thats the two tone M5 interior color right?) might be hot!!

SARAFIL
05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Guys, they're asking BIG money for a 57,000 mile 540i. That car would probably do ~$24,000 at auction. I'd think it would be a good buy if the price started with a 2.

rumatt
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
What's the lease buy out? :eeps:

Dibs on topeka codrive.

blee
05-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I would never buy a car from AutoAdvantage. Their salesteam is slimy, and their cars are generally WAY overpriced given their condition and they won't negotiate on price. I looked at a couple of E36 M3s there before I focused on private-party sales and they left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Bizarre. I had the opposite experience, except on the price issue -- I found them to be a little more expensive than they could've been, but not outlandish. In fact, my '99 M3 came from AA.

John V
05-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Bizarre. I had the opposite experience, except on the price issue -- I found them to be a little more expensive than they could've been, but not outlandish. In fact, my '99 M3 came from AA.

<shudder>

In 2002 I looked at a '97 Estoril blue coupe and a Cosmos black '96. They both had around 60k miles on them and obviously needed some work. I asked some very simple questions that the salesman "Troy" was very evasive about - maintenance records (dealer or otherwise), accident damage, etc. He kept trying to get me to take them for test drives or "take it home for a day or two, let's just run your credit and see what kind of financing we can do..." all the while asking $5k more than blue book for the cars because they had been "thoroughly gone over" by their "expert" technicians. Yet neither of them had cooling system work done ("Never needed it, these cars are bulletproof, and we can offer an extended warranty..."), both were on their stock shocks ('cept the Blue one, which had one strut replaced...?"), both needed tires, etc...

The Blue one I liked enough to come back and look at, but when I got a closer look it had obviously been wrecked and repainted, badly. I confronted "Troy" about this and he said it was impossible, as they only dealt with "premium" cars. I pointed out the uneven panel gaps, the crinkled sheetmetal in the rockers, the fact that it had a new strut / swaybar link on the driver's side but not the passenger's side... and told him I might be interested in the black one (which was relatively clean except for tons of stone chips and a couple curbed wheels) if the price were $5k lower (they were asking $25,5 for the car - ridiculous even in 2002). He told me he could "work it out with the financing - what do you want to pay per month?" We went back and forth a few times and I left.

He called me every day for the next four days saying we could "work out" a price. I asked him if he would take my offer and he said, "I'm a professional, I don't negotiate over the phone." I eventually told him to stop calling, which he did.

They basically try to pass off auction-lot rats as CPO cars by giving them a nice buffing and coat of Armor-All, then sell them at a $5k (or more) markup. Shady guys.

FC
05-25-2006, 07:47 AM
They basically try to pass off auction-lot rats as CPO cars by giving them a nice buffing and coat of Armor-All, then sell them at a $5k (or more) markup. Shady guys.

There is a dealer like that near me. Pretty close to home, I drove in front o fit every day on my way to my last job for over a year. Finally, one day I'm with my wife and they had an electric Blue MCS (her dream car). So I figured we'll stop and take a look. They always have high-enf P-cars, BMW's, and MB's (and Hummers and Navigators).

All the cars look shiny and good from 2- yards out, but you can tell they were beaten up by the last owners and were overpriced. They had an '03 996TT. The car had the shit beaten out of it. Paint was in rough shape, curb rash at all wheels, scraped spoiler, bald tires, high mileage. I asked how much he said 90K's. I just about laughed out loud. Didn't know how much hp the car had. Kept telling me how the new ones would be 130K and would only have another 20hp. I left shaking my head in disbelief. I'm never stopping by again. There is another similarly slimy place nearby too.

rumatt
05-25-2006, 08:20 AM
He called me every day for the next four days saying we could "work out" a price. I asked him if he would take my offer and he said, "I'm a professional, I don't negotiate over the phone."

Oh man. :ack:

I hope you said, "If you don't negotiate on the phone, then don't call me."