PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants the S2000 replaced :-(

ff
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
She's been bugging me for a few months now. She wants a 2nd car that has back seats and another 2 doors. Reluctantly, I have to admit that I agree with her stance. We've made due with the S2000 for the past 2 years without any problems, but sometimes having the back seat would be nice. I've also been waffling about finding a new job down here for some time now, which would require a sedan because the kids would need to go to daycare.

Seriously, few things pain me more than to consider getting rid of the S2000. I have zero desire to trade it off. Just love driving it way too much. But in the end, maybe my joyride was a bit premature. Not completely appropriate for raising a family, even though our working setup allows what we've gotten away with.

The one thing on my side, is the fact that it isn't a desperation move. We could easily sell the S2000 outright, and hold out until something lucrative comes along. Even though that isn't an ideal situation, it can be done.

So I'm trying to think of a car that would even please the senses enough to make the leap away from the S2000 painless. It obviously needs to have a stick, and almost certainly must be RWD. But I really don't feel like spending 330i money again. At least not at this point in my life. Would I be satisfied with an E46 325i, assuming that I can find one w/ stick and SP? Who knows. I browsed the BMWUSA CPO search, and everything in my area is so friggen overpriced, I'd be better off just buying new. Makes no sense to me. Just because I can afford the payment, doesn't mean buying it makes good financial sense.

There's always the Lexus IS250, but they're tough to find w/ a stick. Priced well, you know it's going to be reliable, and hold value well. (I'm actually leaning somewhat in this direction)

What about swaplease.com? Seems like a smart way to go, but what are the gotcha's with going that route?

Should I just accept the impending pain, and buy an Accord LX? They're really well priced, reliable, and hold their value extremely well. But you know I wouldn't be happy.

gaaahh... really just thinking out loud, and hoping that someone has an interesting suggestion. Maybe slap me across the face a few times, and call me sally.

TD
05-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Considering you had a ZHP and hated it, I think you ought to at least stay away from E46s.

Go test drive the Mazdaspeed 6.

rumatt
05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
We've made due with the S2000 for the past 1.6 years

Fixed :p

Remind her that no matter how much a back seat would be helpful, the current situation is better than the following sequence of events:

- She convinces you to sell the car and replace with something boring
- You tolerate it for a few months, then start to get pissed and unhappy with the situation
- You sell the car for a big loss and buy another S2K, or something similar

Suddenly the current situation won't seem so bad to her. :D Seriously. If you're going to end up with a car that makes you unhappy, it's not a good move.

Rob
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Used CTS V. The depreciation hit will mostly be taken, the car will still be under warranty, you will have something to bitch about constantly b/c of the perceived low build quality, but you will love every second you get to drive it.

Seriously, if you think an accord is big enough to deal with your needs, keep the s2000 and buy a very used accord. They last forever, right? Find one for $10k.

rumatt
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
buy a very used accord. They last forever, right? Find one for $5k.

Fixed.

TD
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
True. This would be how many cars in the last 3 years. I recall 330i -> Mini -> ZHP -> S2000. The depreciation alone on those would get you another E46 free and clear.

How about this- Keep the S2000 and I'll sell you a Saab wagon cheap.

equ
05-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow, two s2000 threads active at the same time...

I guess you have two general paths.
1. Replace s2k with sth that has the semblance of being sporty (3er, zhp, ms6, leg gt etc.)
2. Keep s2k and buy $10k accord, passat, a4... ($5k is not going to be enough)

It's more likely that you'll be happier with 2). If you decide to go with 1) and a zhp let me know. I'm not really selling but I'm thinking about s2k's.

clyde
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
2. Keep s2k and buy $10k accord, passat, a4... ($5k is not going to be enough)

I was thinking Accord form 1999 or so at about $6500. Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of what he would lose on the S2K. Insure it for liability only and it shouldn't be too much of a hit on annual insurance bill. Registration...dunno what it's like in FL.

Gives intimately moreflexability and gives everyone what they need without it really costing anything.

clyde
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM

I will probably regret this...

How much are you looking for these days? Feel free to PM :eeps:

FC
05-08-2006, 06:40 PM
True. This would be how many cars in the last 3 years. I recall 330i -> Mini -> ZHP -> S2000. The depreciation alone on those would get you another E46 free and clear.

FWIW, it was 330i->ZHP->MCS->S2000, IIRC.

But yeah, ff must still be squeaky-clean from all those baths.

I agree with matt re: getting a boring car costing you more. In my case, I drive little now, and despite my ability to suck up owning a boring car (as proven by owning my 190E for so long) I could not see myself with just the Saabaru (MT and not a completely accord-like boring car either, mind you).

You have a record of being willing to take a financial hit simply to enhance your driving experience.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think a boring car (in addition to a lexus ES330 ( :eek: ) will last.

lemming
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
FWIW, it was 330i->ZHP->MCS->S2000, IIRC.

I agree with matt re: getting a boring car costing you more. In my case, I drive little now, and despite my ability to suck up owning a boring car (as proven by owning my 190E for so long) I could not see myself with just the Saabaru (MT and not a completely accord-like boring car either, mind you).

You have a record of being willing to take a financial hit simply to enhance your driving experience.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think a boring car (in addition to a lexus ES330 ( :eek: ) will last.

well, i don't think the ES350 would be terribly boring. :dunno:
(displacement helps on all fronts in the toyota line).

i sort of agree with ff's wife, though. using the s2000 as a primary is borderline crazy and i'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has for a family with progeny. if the stingray or the blackbird was/were my only car(s), that insanity would last about a week. (no kids)

dan
05-08-2006, 07:27 PM
She's been bugging me for a few months now. She wants a 2nd car that has back seats and another 2 doors.
tell her to save up and buy one

rumatt
05-08-2006, 08:23 PM

:lol:

:bustingup

Alan
05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
An rx8 sounds like the answer. It's as fun as the S2000, has an engine that winds out forever (just like you want) and has 2 rear seats.

Plus it handles amazing and you'll love it !!

If brand new is too muhc go for a 1 yr old one and I bet you'll get an amazing deal.

ff
05-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Shoot, no kidding. :lol:

She does work 3 full days/week, and drives the S2000 on those days. I know that she loves driving the car. So it's not like she's suggesting the move out of spite, or because she hates the fact that it's taking up a precious garage stall.

Buying a good, used, 3rd car is a good possibility, except that we 1) don't have anywhere good to put it (small garages, small driveways, can't park in the street, and 2) I don't think it makes much sense to have 3 cars when only 2 are ever needed. There's insurance, tabs, maintenance, etc. I rate that up there with trading new cars every 2 or 3 years, :eeps: and know that I'd give in and just sell the S2000 within a few months anyhow.

I think it was clyde that I was telling that my mom has a 97 Accord w/ only ~35K miles on it. They're thinking of selling it, and buying a new Civic coupe. I can't think of a better older car to own. The thing is "practically" new, been babied all its life, and would be dirt cheap to insure and maintain. Problem is, it's a 4 cylinder coupe w/ automatic trans. I'd go ape shit taking that on my evening joyrides. I'd just as soon peel my fingernails off with a dull scalpel.

I know that you guys are right, that if I bought something boring, I would go flipping crazy after only a few months. Which is what makes this an even more difficult proposition. We talked about this a bit more over dinner tonight, and I think there's a good chance that the S will go. There's always another place, and another time when I can buy something similar. Not the end of my current world.

I guess the list of cars to drive would be the Mazdaspeed 6, IS250, maybe even the RX-8. Depends on how much room is available in the rear, and what the access is like getting back there. Too bad the Civic Si sedan isn't here yet. Maybe a "somewhat" similar visceral experience as the S2000, and meets the requirement of having 4 doors, a stick, and a back seat.

lemming
05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Shoot, no kidding. :lol:

She does work 3 full days/week, and drives the S2000 on those days. I know that she loves driving the car. So it's not like she's suggesting the move out of spite, or because she hates the fact that it's taking up a precious garage stall.

Buying a good, used, 3rd car is a good possibility, except that we 1) don't have anywhere good to put it (small garages, small driveways, can't park in the street, and 2) I don't think it makes much sense to have 3 cars when only 2 are ever needed. There's insurance, tabs, maintenance, etc. I rate that up there with trading new cars every 2 or 3 years, :eeps: and know that I'd give in and just sell the S2000 within a few months anyhow.

I think it was clyde that I was telling that my mom has a 97 Accord w/ only ~35K miles on it. They're thinking of selling it, and buying a new Civic coupe. I can't think of a better older car to own. The thing is "practically" new, been babied all its life, and would be dirt cheap to insure and maintain. Problem is, it's a 4 cylinder coupe w/ automatic trans. I'd go ape shit taking that on my evening joyrides. I'd just as soon peel my fingernails off with a dull scalpel.

I know that you guys are right, that if I bought something boring, I would go flipping crazy after only a few months. Which is what makes this an even more difficult proposition. We talked about this a bit more over dinner tonight, and I think there's a good chance that the S will go. There's always another place, and another time when I can buy something similar. Not the end of my current world.

I guess the list of cars to drive would be the Mazdaspeed 6, IS250, maybe even the RX-8. Depends on how much room is available in the rear, and what the access is like getting back there. Too bad the Civic Si sedan isn't here yet. Maybe a "somewhat" similar visceral experience as the S2000, and meets the requirement of having 4 doors, a stick, and a back seat.

my list would be:

legacy GT
mazdaspeed 6
TSX
A4 2.0T

ff
05-08-2006, 10:42 PM

I would've been squeaky-cleaner from the baths, had I had outstanding loans on the ZHP, MINI, or 1/2 the S2000. Not owing anything makes it easier to select the dumb financial paths. Kind of like having a pocket full of spending money, when you really don't.

Like I've mentioned before, if I could rewind my life and do it all over again, I'd still own that first 330i. And I'd still be happy with it.

Jason C
05-08-2006, 10:42 PM
So let me get this straight: According to your prior posts, you rid yourself of the ZHP because it was too much German techno-interference, you did the same with the Mini because it was FWD and FWD is teh suck ("never again"), and now you're considering replacing the S2K, the car you've been "searching for all my life", with-

Another E46
A Lexus with that persistent electronic nanny which needs a CONTRA-syle cheat code to disable, a car that is even less sporting and more fluff than just about any BMW
An Accord LX

:dunno:

Bonoboy actually made a halfway-decent contribution this time, btw. :lol:

PS: Si Sedan comes this fall. Can you wait that long?

rumatt
05-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Bonoboy actually made a halfway-decent contribution this time, btw. :lol:

LOL

ff
05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
my list would be:

legacy GT
mazdaspeed 6
TSX
A4 2.0T

ah, correct. The TSX and Legacy GT are good choices to put on the test drive list. Maybe even used TL's, assuming that one can find an example with a stick. Little more interior room, though probably not as fun to drive.

I have very little interest in Audis. In fact, zero.

TD
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
ah, correct. The TSX and Legacy GT are good choices to put on the test drive list. Maybe even used TL's, assuming that one can find an example with a stick. Little more interior room, though probably not as fun to drive.

I have very little interest in Audis. In fact, zero.
Seriously, drive the Mazda.

clyde
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Too bad the Civic Si sedan isn't here yet. Maybe a "somewhat" similar visceral experience as the S2000, and meets the requirement of having 4 doors, a stick, and a back seat.

:loco: FWD

The RX-8 is a lot closer than a Civic Si would be to an S200. In some ways, the RX-8 is like a slightly more grown up S2K. Dimensions are a tiny bit larger. It weighs a couple hunderd pounds more (but is still under 3,000). It's a bit more refined or civilized, though, and has a back seat that two adults can use for about an hour before they go into pain (kids last much longer).

I dont think that you'd like the RX8 though. Ford owns a part of Mazda.

ff
05-08-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't need lectures from any of you guys (again). My choices are my own. If you feel like making a knee-jerk remark about me selling the S2000, save it for someone else. I already made it clear that this move is not something that I want to do.

Jason C
05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't need lectures from any of you guys (again).

Maybe slap me across the face a few times, and call me sally.

Don't want the feedback, don't post in a public forums.

ff
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM

Don't want the feedback, don't post in a public forums.

I want mature feedback and suggestions on which cars I should test drive. Not smug comments or cheap shots from my 2 favorite 'mudgeons.

Sharp11
05-08-2006, 10:54 PM

Why? Imo, the four cylinder accord engines were always really nice (our last was a '95 EX wagon with the VTEC option), yes, you lose a bit with the auto, but the '97 transmission was pretty good (smoother shifting than the prior generation's).

Sounds like the right compromise given your circumstances.

Ed

BahnBaum
Not smug comments or cheap shots from my 2 favorite 'mudgeons.

Your list got shorter.

:D

Alex

rumatt
I already made it clear that this move is not something that I want to do.

You make it seem so black and white, when it's not. Just don't do something silly that will need to be reversed. That's such bad advice to give?

If you do sell, an RX8 seems like a prime contender.

ff
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Any major reliability issues with the RX-8, clyde?

ff
05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
You make it seem so black and white, when it's not. Just don't do something silly that will need to be reversed. That's such bad advice to give?

If you do sell, an RX8 seems like a prime contender.

That is good advice. I was just bracing for another verbal barrage from Captain BMW Tech. He's my bestest friend out of everyone.

Sharp11
05-08-2006, 11:05 PM
:loco: FWD

The RX-8 is a lot closer than a Civic Si would be to an S200. In some ways, the RX-8 is like a slightly more grown up S2K. Dimensions are a tiny bit larger. It weighs a couple hunderd pounds more (but is still under 3,000). It's a bit more refined or civilized, though, and has a back seat that two adults can use for about an hour before they go into pain (kids last much longer).

I dont think that you'd like the RX8 though. Ford owns a part of Mazda.

I really liked the RX8 I drove, it was a ton of fun and it felt really solid. I even liked the interior, I thought it was well done.

The deal-breaker for me is the inefficiency of the Wankel engine, it's something that's been an issue since my parents bought a Mazda RX4 back in 1974 - crummy gas mileage, high oil consumption and high emissions.

Which is too bad because everything else about the rotary is so appealing - when you look at it, its design makes you think this is the way all engines should be made, fewer moving parts, the ingenuity of the rotor, light weight, small and compact......revs freely, but it all goes wrong at the pump.

Ed

Jason C
05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
but it all goes wrong at the pump.

Does it ever. I had considered the RX-8 back when they came out. I definitely don't want one now, gas prices the way they are.

Clyde, what are you averaging in yours? Aside from race days of course.

rumatt
05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Clyde, what are you averaging in yours? Aside from race days of course.

Last I heard, it was around 4 mpg.

Jason C
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Last I heard, it was around 4 mpg.

The last time I visited an RX-8 board (a while back I'm afraid), most of the "highs" on their MPG threads were between 15 and 20 MPG average per tank.

rumatt
05-08-2006, 11:21 PM
The last time I visited an RX-8 board (a while back I'm afraid), most of the "highs" on their MPG threads were between 15 and 20 MPG average per tank.

I think 11 - 18 is the range people report. :dunno:

Jason C
05-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I think 11 - 18 is the range people report. :dunno:

I said "highs" as in approximately upper 1/4th of what people were getting. I saw a few 19's. But that range you posted was the average.

clyde
05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
I've had no major issues in almost 21k miles. The wider spread teething issues have all been ironed out. It's very rare to hear about cars flooding any more. If you look at used cars, find out if it has the upgraded starter, if not, don't let it stop you from buying...just bring it in and complain of hard starting and they'll put the stronger starter motor in.

I got a little over 24 MPG on a full hwy tank once, but mostly, on the road like that, it's been about 22...and that's at cruise speeds averaging ~80 with the car fully loaded. Around town,...the driving I do isn't typical. A lot of short trips in stop and go or lots of idling. One tank was a 10.x, generally in the 13 MPG rang, but mid-high 11s is not that uncommon. As we switch to ethanol, I'm not expecting positive changes. :eeps: Moreso than many other cars, the mileage you get is directly related to the type of driving and your driving style in this car.

Mine doesn't use much oil compared to the others. Oil changes about every 3-5k, depending on the type of miles (which only changes about half of the 7 quarts it holds. I think I've added a total of about 7 quarts between changes.

It's a fun car. It's pretty cheap new but has done suprisingly well on the secondary market with astonishingly strong resale considering the deep discounts on new ones.

rumatt
05-08-2006, 11:41 PM
It's pretty cheap new but has done suprisingly well on the secondary market with astonishingly strong resale considering the deep discounts on new ones.

I still don't understand this. They sit on the lots new and sell at invoice, but if you try to buy a 1-year old used one, the person expects to get just a tad under invoice (and they might get it). :wtf:

Supply and demand is broken. Call your local economics professor immediately.

Jason C
05-08-2006, 11:50 PM

:lol:

Alan
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I still don't understand this. They sit on the lots new and sell at invoice, but if you try to buy a 1-year old used one, the person expects to get just a tad under invoice (and they might get it). :wtf:

It seems that way with a lot of used cars ... I am always looking for a good one year old car and it seems people out there don't realize they have to take a depreciation hit.

This one guy has 800 miles on a 06 boxster, brand new I could get the car for $49k, he insists on $47K (plus another $1k for shipping) :rolleyes:

FC
05-09-2006, 08:01 AM
It seems that way with a lot of used cars ... I am always looking for a good one year old car and it seems people out there don't realize they have to take a depreciation hit.

This one guy has 800 miles on a 06 boxster, brand new I could get the car for $49k, he insists on $47K (plus another $1k for shipping) :rolleyes:

I see the same for Outbacks (3.0R). One can get one for close to 30K new, yet used ones with 20K miles are asking upper 20's. That is ridiculous. These are New England AWD family cars. At least one could argue a Boxster may be a garage queen, not driven inthe rain, etc. But a plain Subaru? WTF!?

On a subaru I can get for 30K new, I expect at LEAST 5K off on a model with 15K miles. These things only have a 36K mile warranty.

Now one can get a new variant fo the 3.0R wagon with black cloth seats (I like - as opposed to tan leather on the LL Bean) and no fancy stuff new for an MSRP of 29K or what used ones are asking. I may just go that route if we decide on practical.

Sorry, OT.

ff
05-09-2006, 08:01 AM
I got a little over 24 MPG on a full hwy tank once, but mostly, on the road like that, it's been about 22...and that's at cruise speeds averaging ~80 with the car fully loaded. Around town,...the driving I do isn't typical. A lot of short trips in stop and go or lots of idling. One tank was a 10.x, generally in the 13 MPG rang, but mid-high 11s is not that uncommon.

I'm surprised that it's that low. The Mazdaspeed 6 is not much better. I think the website lists it at 25 MPG hwy. From a 4 cylinder. I've been getting 31 MPG highway on the S2000 since day one. And spend the majority of my in-town miles in 6th gear, so I expect the overall mileage isn't much worse.

lemming
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I see the same for Outbacks (3.0R). One can get one for close to 30K new, yet used ones with 20K miles are asking upper 20's. That is ridiculous. These are New England AWD family cars. At least one could argue a Boxster may be a garage queen, not driven inthe rain, etc. But a plain Subaru? WTF!?

On a subaru I can get for 30K new, I expect at LEAST 5K off on a model with 15K miles. These things only have a 36K mile warranty.

Now one can get a new variant fo the 3.0R wagon with black cloth seats (I like - as opposed to tan leather on the LL Bean) and no fancy stuff new for an MSRP of 29K or what used ones are asking. I may just go that route if we decide on practical.

Sorry, OT.

sadly, i might be right there with you. i also like the idea of a de-contented 3.0r wagon.

John V
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised that it's that low. The Mazdaspeed 6 is not much better. I think the website lists it at 25 MPG hwy. From a 4 cylinder. I've been getting 31 MPG highway on the S2000 since day one. And spend the majority of my in-town miles in 6th gear, so I expect the overall mileage isn't much worse.

I would kill for that mileage. Marisa and I got 26.5 on a long trip to PA and back in the Boxster, going around 80 most of the time. In town, driven spiritedly, it gets around 20, 21 occasionally. It must be driving style as Ken reports that his Boxster is getting 23 in the city. Oh well, I always have the motorcycle. :lol:

kenkamm
05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
It's very rare to hear about cars flooding any more. If you look at used cars, find out if it has the upgraded starter, if not, don't let it stop you from buying...just bring it in and complain of hard starting and they'll put the stronger starter motor in.

Unless you're Learic. Then it takes one complaint to the dealer, one tow to the dealer after flooding, a third trip after John and I removed, cleaned, and replaced the plugs, with a copy of the TSB info in-hand and arguing with them before they reluctantly replace the required parts. It still has trouble starting if you don't let it run for 10 minutes or so after a cold start. We are still scared to run it less than 10 minutes because we don't want to have to get it towed again or pull the plugs ourselves. But I digress.

IndyMike
05-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Would I be satisfied with an E46 325i, assuming that I can find one w/ stick and SP? Who knows. I browsed the BMWUSA CPO search, and everything in my area is so friggen overpriced, I'd be better off just buying new.
Right model number, wrong nomenclature. How about an e90 325i. Euro delivery of a basic stripper model like JB w/black 'ette, except the addition of ZSP.

Wholesale base price ED pickup in Munich: $26,150
Options-SP: 1,455
Destination: 695
Dealer markup: 1,000
Total: $29,300

Tack on an additional 430 bucks if you want metallic paint.

Caveat: I'm not sure if these prices are the most current since they are gleaned from the 1 Sep '05 pdf file.

Yeah, it takes the additional purchase of an airline ticket to get there and some Euro's during whatever time you decide to stay, but look at it as the vacation that you richly deserve since your wife insists on inflicting this mental and emotional punishment upon you. :)

ff
05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Prices must've changed, because MSRP (in the states) is now up to $30,900. That's a difference of roughly $4.8K over the 9/1 euro-delivery price.

IndyMike
05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
I think you're looking at the Suggested Retail USA port of entry price.

Look on page 2 of the attached for the Wholesale Base Price Euro Delivery Munich pick-up, which is $26,150.

rumatt
05-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm still confused. Why does a $6K POS accord not solve the problems?

Don't say you can't afford it, because the other moves being discussed will cost you way more than that. These are expensive cars you're tossing around.

IndyMike
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm still confused. Why does a $6K POS accord not solve the problems?.
I'd go ape sh*t taking that on my evening joyrides.

Don't say you can't afford it, because the other moves being discussed will cost you way more than that. These are expensive cars you're tossing around.It sounds like to me money saving (within reason) is not the primary determinant for f squared.

ff
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm still confused. Why does a $6K POS accord not solve the problems?

Don't say you can't afford it, because the other moves being discussed will cost you way more than that. These are expensive cars you're tossing around.

I don't believe it was me that said it wouldn't solve problems (?). Though, owning 3 cars isn't something that I'm going to do, for several reasons, if that's what you were referring to?

ff
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I didn't want this to become another debate over whether I'm spending my money wisely, etc. After all, that's my business.

I'll reiterate, this move was put into place simply to have cars that have 4 doors and a back seat. That's it. It's not about money, it's not about wanting something different. Believe me, I want to keep the Honda. And if we had a 3 car garage, I'd be looking for a $6K POS Accord to fill the 3rd stall.

rumatt
05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I didn't want this to become another debate over whether I'm spending my money wisely, etc. After all, that's my business.

I'll reiterate, this move was put into place simply to have cars that have 4 doors and a back seat. That's it. It's not about money, it's not about wanting something different. Believe me, I want to keep the Honda. And if we had a 3 car garage, I'd be looking for a $6K POS Accord to fill the 3rd stall.

I didn't intend to debate how you should spend your money, but instead discuss the true cost of making certian moves.

You've said in the correlated owning 3 cars with being filthy rich (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=104102&postcount=114). I'm arguing it's cheaper than what you're about to do.

You presented a problem that you don't want to sell your car, but your wife wants another rear seat. There are solutions that don't require selling your car, and they're not necessarily more expensive than what you're discussing. :dunno: If you just want a new car, that's a different story.

dan
05-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I'll reiterate, this move was put into place simply to have cars that have 4 doors and a back seat. That's it. It's not about money, it's not about wanting something different.

in that case sell the s2000 and buy a CTS-V

ff
05-09-2006, 02:28 PM

I didn't say that money was no object.

ff
05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm arguing it's cheaper than what you're about to do.

Really depends on the cars involved.

rumatt
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Really depends on the cars involved.

Of course.

Dude, people don't really give a crap how you spend your own money. I think the reason people pile on in these threads is because your car decisions seem inconsistent with the reasons you give for needing a change.

If I posted, "I need to save money so I'm going to sell my BMW and buy a Ferrari", people would laugh and point out the error in my plan. If I said, "I'm buying a Ferrari because I want one", nobody would say anything.

AF buys trades cars more often than I change my underwear :speechle:. He admits that it's an expensive hobby, but he enjoys it. End of story. But if he came up with a bogus excuse to rationalize each decision is "necessary", I think he'd attract the same attention you do. Same as if he complained about money and was convinced that he could never own 3 cars unless he was filthy rich.

You seem to like to rationalize purchases, which again is your own business. But if you post your rationalization in a discussion forum, and that rationalization makes no sense, you shouldn't be shocked if people point that out to you. Starting out by admitting you're expecting to be slapped doesn't help your chances.

ff
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
What part of my rationalization makes no sense? She wants a back seat and 4 doors. End of story. I can't believe it needs to be this convoluted.

I think you just like to rationalize reasons for going after me.

Plaz
05-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I bet your S2000 wants your wife replaced. :eeps: :lol:

lemming
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM

hey....don't pull me tangentially into this one, aty.

:eeps:

ff
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
hey....don't pull me tangentially into this one, aty.

:eeps:

I can wait until this fall :eeps: :D

lemming
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I can wait until this fall :eeps: :D

i can't, either. :eeps:

dunno what is going to happen, but my daily driver needs have suddenly changed, too. although, i'm already starting out with a more practical car, ff.

iateyourcheese
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM

dunno what is going to happen, but my daily driver needs have suddenly changed, too. although, i'm already starting out with a more practical car, ff.

Google image search on "practical car" pulls up the RX-8...

dan
05-09-2006, 06:33 PM
not for me :dunno:

http://star-motoring.com/pics/f_atos.jpg

FC
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
sadly, i might be right there with you. i also like the idea of a de-contented 3.0r wagon.

Not to extend this hijack, but invoice is 27.2K and in april apparently there was a 2K cash back incentive. $26K w/delivery ain't bad at all for that wagon. Again, NEW.

Oh yeah, and the decontented 3.0R weighs only 3520lbs. :D

Damn Subaru for not offering a stick on that wagon.:irate: :mad:

iateyourcheese
05-09-2006, 07:00 PM
not for me :dunno:

http://star-motoring.com/pics/f_atos.jpg

Must be Google Texas. http://www.automotive-technology.com/projects/mazda_rx8/images/mazda_rx8_3.jpg

Alan
05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Not to extend this hijack, but invoice is 27.2K and in april apparently there was a 2K cash back incentive. $26K w/delivery ain't bad at all for that wagon. Again, NEW.

Oh yeah, and the decontented 3.0R weighs only 3520lbs. :D

Damn Subaru for not offering a stick on that wagon.:irate: :mad:

Fernando ... I am a little confused on this .. are you being sarcastic quoting the weight as 'only' ?

ff
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM

How much you want for it? :eeps:

(it's probably out of my price range though)

ayn
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Get an RX-8, STi, or Evo.

FC
05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Fernando ... I am a little confused on this .. are you being sarcastic quoting the weight as 'only' ?

No sarcasm. 3520lbs is light for a decent-size wagon with AWD.

John V
05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Get an RX-8, STi, or Evo.

If you never liked the fact that your kidneys were so firmly located inside your body, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you really enjoy corner-entry understeer coupled with corner-exit oversteer, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you ever considered buying a C4 Corvette but thought it was just a bit too well screwed together, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you really enjoy the concept of throttle response on tape delay, you may be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you once lusted after a 3000GT VR-4 but thought its styling was too mature...

lemming
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
No sarcasm. 3520lbs is light for a decent-size wagon with AWD.

just keep in mind that the new e90 325xiT is 3770.......with all of 185#ft of torque to motivate it.

just for reference's sake.

rumatt
05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
just keep in mind that the new e90 325xiT is 3770.......with all of 185#ft of torque to motivate it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

TD
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
If I were in the market, I would definitely wait for the 328iT.

Jason C
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM
If you ever considered buying a C4 Corvette but thought it was just a bit too well screwed together, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

I've been in ayn's MR multiple times now. No squeaks or rattles. :dunno:

BahnBaum
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
If you never liked the fact that your kidneys were so firmly located inside your body, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you really enjoy corner-entry understeer coupled with corner-exit oversteer, you might be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you really enjoy the concept of throttle response on tape delay, you may be ready for an STi or Evo.

If you once lusted after a 3000GT VR-4 but thought its styling was too mature...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex

Sharp11
05-09-2006, 11:21 PM

just for reference's sake.

I drove one of these at the Komen drive last week.

It feels really heavy, both in its lack of throttle response (probably a software thing as much as weight) and its really vague and slovenly turn-in; there was nothing at all "sporty" about this car.

It felt solid - as if it were hewn from a slab of solid steel - and it was quite isolating and comfy. After driving the Z4's all day, I felt as if I were perched high up on a lifeguard chair.

The Buick-inspired dash that looks so awful in photos, always looks and feels better in the real world on these cars.

However, I can't see the point of the 325xi wagon, my wife's '05 Outback is more fun to drive, rides much better, feels almost as solid, has loads more cargo space and costs a whopping 15k less.

Ed

rumatt
05-09-2006, 11:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:stupid:

lemming
05-10-2006, 06:36 AM
ff: does a car like the mazdaspeed6 appeal to you? i am looking into a mazda 6 wagon myself --i think i can get a 5speed manual in one.

Plaz
05-10-2006, 07:15 AM
:stupid:

:+1

ff
05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
ff: does a car like the mazdaspeed6 appeal to you? i am looking into a mazda 6 wagon myself --i think i can get a 5speed manual in one.

It does, and I've been thinking about it. I test drove the Mazda3 2 years ago, and was really impressed with the overall package, especially for the price. I'd expect the 6 to be better in almost every way.

The speed6 gets surprisingly bad gas mileage, though, but that can be overlooked if all else is up to my expectations. 280ft/lb of torque @ 3000 can make up for a lot.

kenkamm
05-10-2006, 07:57 AM

[snip]

: popcorn:

Alan
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM

You have officially confused the sh*t out of me ... don't you have 4 cars with 3 of them being high performance vehicles and 1 being an SUV ? ?

Are you looking into an additional car ?

What the heck would you need a mazda 6 wagon for ?

FC
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
You have officially confused the sh*t out of me ... don't you have 4 cars with 3 of them being high performance vehicles and 1 being an SUV ? ?

Are you looking into an additional car ?

What the heck would you need a mazda 6 wagon for ?

He wants to ditch the CTS-V for a cheaper more practical commuter car. But he does not want a turbo because he had an Outback XT and replaced that with the CTS-V.

I think I got that right.:dunno:

JST
05-10-2006, 09:33 PM

lemming: Keep those of us who have expressed interest apprised, eh?

ff: I faced the same dilemma, more or less, and ended up in an A4 2.0T mostly because the lease price was astonishing and the car is pretty fun to drive.

The Legacy was fun in its way, but I was bummed by the lack of folding seats and the lack of options when it came to iPod/XM fitment.

I wanted to like the Mazda6, since I get deals on them and on paper it's a good fit (esp. the 5 door). But I wasn't that impressed. The engine was sluggish at low speeds, the interior was sort of blah, and I didn't really think the handling was that great.

The TSX I tried to drive but the dealer was too busy to pay attention to me so I left.

The Volvo S40 T5 was nothing special with a slushie (they had no stick), and was spendy.

The RX-8 is something that I've considered for a long time, but the fuel efficiency, lack of torque, and small trunk scotched it for me.

If I were in your position, I'd think about a lightly used G35. The G35 remains an entertaining car--it has fairly good dynamics, a ballsy engine, and plenty of rear seat space. If (and this is a big if) you can find one with a stick, it will probably meet all your needs.

Failing that, I might wait for the GTI 4 door (which, before you write off, you really should at least drive) or the Speed3, both of which will be out shortly.

ff
05-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the head's-up, JST. I checked the Audi website, and they're still offering some decent lease deals. A4 2.0T Quattro >> $369/month, $999 down. That's with the auto transmission, though. Not sure if it would be less or more with the stick. I'm going to put that on my test drive list.

JST
05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the head's-up, JST. I checked the Audi website, and they're still offering some decent lease deals. A4 2.0T Quattro >> $369/month, $999 down. That's with the auto transmission, though. Not sure if it would be less or more with the stick. I'm going to put that on my test drive list.

Should be less. The subsidized residuals are usually not restricted to a particular option set--they just give you the auto as an example b/c that's what most people get. The stick is cheaper.