PDA

View Full Version : Car issues

zach
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Over the past few days, I've been trying to decide what to do about cars next year.

The issues:

My girlfriend and I will be moving to down town Boston. She'll be working in Providence for one year, which is about a 50 mile drive (one way), but will take the train some days. I work in Boston, so no need for me to drive.

The original plan was to just keep the M3 and have her drive it to Providence while taking the train as much as possible. The cost of premium gas and what seems like needless wear and tear on the M3 disturbs me, so we started thinking of alternatives.

One idea was to get a WRX to use as her commuter and our winter awd car. Benefits of this idea include: not trying to drive the M3 through snow, keep miles off M3, have fun new car to drive around. However, what am I supposed to do with the M3 over the winter? A parking spot in Boston costs about $300/month so we could only realistically keep one car with us. A wrx also costs money and depreciates like it's its job. Finally, I'd miss the M3 during those times when I have a hankering for a vehicle-spankering : oops: .

So, I'd appreciate any ideas, criticism, flame wars, etc.

Thanks.

JST
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Over the past few days, I've been trying to decide what to do about cars next year.

The issues:

My girlfriend and I will be moving to down town Boston. She'll be working in Providence for one year, which is about a 50 mile drive (one way), but will take the train some days. I work in Boston, so no need for me to drive.

The original plan was to just keep the M3 and have her drive it to Providence while taking the train as much as possible. The cost of premium gas and what seems like needless wear and tear on the M3 disturbs me, so we started thinking of alternatives.

One idea was to get a WRX to use as her commuter and our winter awd car. Benefits of this idea include: not trying to drive the M3 through snow, keep miles off M3, have fun new car to drive around. However, what am I supposed to do with the M3 over the winter? A parking spot in Boston costs about $300/month so we could only realistically keep one car with us. A wrx also costs money and depreciates like it's its job. Finally, I'd miss the M3 during those times when I have a hankering for a vehicle-spankering : oops: .

So, I'd appreciate any ideas, criticism, flame wars, etc.

Thanks.

I wouldn't want to commute 100 miles per day in a WRX.

How about an older TDI Jetta? Depreciation should be less extreme, FWD is fine in the snow, and gas mileage should kick ass.

You can park the M3 at mbr's house. I am sure he will take care of it for you.

zach
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM

How about an older TDI Jetta? Depreciation should be less extreme, FWD is fine in the snow, and gas mileage should kick ass.

That would mean that the only car I'd have at my immediate disposal for a year would be a TDI Jetta. :ack:

rumatt
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I still don't see the problem with using the M3.

Don't say "premium gas" or "M3 repairs" because owning two cars, one of which is depreciating like a brick, will cost you 2X - 5X what the M3 would during that time.

Nick M3
01-31-2006, 01:05 PM

2006 WRX is totally different, Josh.

Sharp11
01-31-2006, 01:09 PM

More refinement, but I could do without the extra front overhang.

Ed

JST
01-31-2006, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't say it's "totally" different. Given the engine and suspension improvements, I'm open to the idea that it might be a bit better, but at the end of the day the WRX is still not my idea of a great highway car. Occasional trips? Sure. 100 miles a day? Yeah, no thanks.

BahnBaum
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM

I sat it one in Detroit. Which is totally different than driving one, so I'll only say I'd have to trust you on that Nick.

One reason that I tend to believe that the 06 must be a phenomenol car is the fact that you are considering buying something that is so completely out of character with what I would expect you to drive.

Alex

rumatt
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
One reason that I tend to believe that the 06 must be a phenomenol car is the fact that you are considering buying something that is so completely out of character with what I would expect you to drive.

I have to say I'm intrigued by this as well.

BahnBaum
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
I have to say I'm intrigued by this as well.

As you prolly are with my inability to spell phenamunal.

Alex

Nick M3
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't say it's "totally" different. Given the engine and suspension improvements, I'm open to the idea that it might be a bit better, but at the end of the day the WRX is still not my idea of a great highway car. Occasional trips? Sure. 100 miles a day? Yeah, no thanks.
Lots more sound deadening, much more refined suspension, nice tranny, low end torque...

dan
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
what is your girlfriend driving now?

BahnBaum
01-31-2006, 01:42 PM

A Dodge Dart.

:eeps:

Alex

Rob
01-31-2006, 01:46 PM
I have learned through experience that a second or third car usually does not save money in the long run. Your M3 isn't a show car - drive it and take care of it. Even if it does make sense financially, the car you want to drive is going to be sitting somewhere undriven. In my case, that resulted in me selling both of them . . .

FC
01-31-2006, 02:00 PM

:D

JST
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Lots more sound deadening, much more refined suspension, nice tranny, low end torque...

My test drive wasn't particularly extensive, but the '06 car didn't feel much different than our '04 in everyday driving.

Nick M3
01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
My test drive wasn't particularly extensive, but the '06 car didn't feel much different than our '04 in everyday driving.
Dunno. My standard of comparison is an '02 bugeye.

bren
01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Your M3 isn't a show car - drive it and take care of it.

zach
01-31-2006, 02:10 PM

The M3.

FC
01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
The M3.

But you have to tell Mr. Bono that she is not yet doing the drive to RI.

dan
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
sell the M3 and buy an 03 accord

Jeff_DML
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
wrx needs premium like your m3 and gets so so gas mileage, not a good commuter IMHO.

yeah get some sort of honda or toyota for a commuter.

zach
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
wrx needs premium like your m3 and gets so so gas mileage, not a good commuter IMHO.

yeah get some sort of honda or toyota for a commuter.

I did not know that. The issue is that we can't have 2 cars "with" us. And, if we have to have one car, I want it to be semi-fun.

Guess I'm leaning towards just putting tons of miles on the M3.

FC
01-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I did not know that. The issue is that we can't have 2 cars "with" us. And, if we have to have one car, I want it to be semi-fun.

Yup, that is why I passed on the Saabaru Aero (it would have been less than 2K of a premium over the Linear). It is not nearly as fuel-efficient, used premium and insurance is more money (~20% more). Also, the 2.5 used in the base model is virtually bullet-proof, so it was my choice for a low-cost wintermobile. Granted, in Saab trim, the Linear got a lot of stuff that in Subaru-world only a WRX would get (if at all - side airbags, leather, etc). It was definitely a good choice for us.

wdc330i
01-31-2006, 06:28 PM

Another vote for driving it into the ground. And then buying a proper replacement.

rumatt
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I have learned through experience that a second or third car usually does not save money in the long run. Your M3 isn't a show car - drive it and take care of it. Even if it does make sense financially, the car you want to drive is going to be sitting somewhere undriven.

This man speaks the truth.

BahnBaum
01-31-2006, 08:50 PM
This man speaks the truth.

Zach, don't listen to a man who at one point wanted to garage his e30 and keep his new BMW outside.

Alex

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't possess the Atybility to find the thread where he said it.