PDA

View Full Version : Big wagon; little wagon; seeedan?

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I need some carmudgeonly advice. We are now loaded up with an excessive number of BMWs in our driveway. A new 530xiT; a 330i sedan; and a 325xiT. We need to sell one of the 3s. We've got the two dogs to haul and a baby on the way. Plus, the occasionally creaky parent/inlaw to chauffeur. The little wagon is a step transmission; the sedan a manual with the sport suspension and package. We live on a hill that's nasty in bad weather (but I have snow tires/wheels for the sedan).

Mileage on the two 3s is in the low 2X,XXX for both. The sedan is a 2002 with about three months more warranty and no more free maintenance. The wagon has another 1 1/2 years of both.

My partner has a preference to keep the little wagon because she hates driving or riding in my sedan (the hard ride; the stick) and thinks the versatility of having the two wagons is a plus. I have a preference to keep the sedan, well, because it drives like a real BMW should and it provides a real contrast in vehicles. It is also one of the rare flawless cars I've ever owned (knock wood).

Practically speaking, it makes sense to keep both wagons. Emotionally, I would really miss the sedan. The little wagon would end up as my daily driver, so I would bear the brunt of the sacrifice. However, when we bought the first wagon my partner gave up her Z3.

I understand it's a lucky dilemma to have; but a dilemma nonetheless. Any opinions or advice?

Plaz
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Keep the sedan and let your wife ride in/drive the 5er when you need to go somewhere together. I imagine it's rare you need two wagons simultaneously.

The '02 330s with SP seem to be a particularly good vintage... just ask ff. Mine's been very good too, and if yours has been flawless...

I could never have a garage completely free of manual tranny cars. Don't submit to the deballification of yours. :D

Rob
01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Why on earth would you ever need two wagons? Will there ever be a time that the sedan won't hold the overflow of required passengers when the 5 wagon is full? Do you have to cart the dogs apart from each other?

Does your partner ever actually *drive* your car? I have a friend that can only get autos in case his wife drives the car . . . she hasn't driven it in over 3 years. Not once. But I digress.

I can't understand why you would keep two wagons at all in this position. If it were me, I would call this a compromise the partner is going to have to make.

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Occasionally, my partner will have to drive the sedan (when the complicated and glitch-prone new 5 is in the shop). But she does know how to drive a stick (her Z was a stick); she simply prefers not to anymore. The two wagons give us the ultimate family flexibility. But of course, driving pleasure is another matter entirely. She will get the 5 as the daily driver, regardless of which 3 goes. My garage at work is packed to the gills and only the 3 will fit in the create-a-spaces.

Another argument in my favor: the sedan is much better on gas mileage (almost 5 miles more to the gallon--when I'm not lead-footed).

Plaz
01-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a friend that can only get autos in case his wife drives the car . . . she hasn't driven it in over 3 years. Not once.

OMG, that's fucking tragic. My wife (who doesn't drive manual) knew better than to even try that with me.

FC
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
My 330i has also been nearly flawless. I say keep the 330i. I could understand the two wagons if you planned on keeping the 3 cars (and given they are both nice, luxury wagons even that would be a stretch for me), but if you must have 2 cars, you don't need more than one wagon. I would ditch the 325xiT.

I also 2nd the notion of avoiding having no manuals at all. Hey, you are a carmudgeon, you should have ONE car you are happy with.

ff
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
The '02 330s with SP seem to be a particularly good vintage... just ask ff.

I certainly agree. That car gave me no troubles. And that year was the last of the great sounding H/K sound systems.

Optimus Prime
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Does your partner ever actually *drive* your car? I have a friend that can only get autos in case his wife drives the car . . . she hasn't driven it in over 3 years. Not once. But I digress.

I "forced" the wife to learn how to drive a manual. :D

Story:
She loves sports cars, mainly how nice they look and whatnot. She told me a couple years ago that in ten years she wanted me to build a factory five Cobra kit car because, "it's so fucking hot". Two years ago, when we went to purchase the Mazda I told her, "either you learn to drive a manual on your everyday car, or you can forget ever getting a 'Cobra'". She wasn't happy with me, but we got the 5 speed anyways.

Now, she loves driving manual and can't stand automatics.:loveme:

FC
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
I "forced" the wife to learn how to drive a manual. :D

Now, she loves driving manual and can't stand automatics.:loveme:

Nice!

My wife drove stickshift New Beetle when I met her. That was cool. Now we have two stickshifts.

ZBB
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
OMG, that's fucking tragic. My wife (who doesn't drive manual) knew better than to even try that with me.

I agree... My wife had extremely limited experience with stick (rental cars in Europe were about it). But when we were last shopping for cars, she ended up with the MINI Cooper S, which only had stick back then (crap, almost 4 years ago)...

And I think her next car will be stick... I have a feeling it might be a 325XiT, maybe an '07 (and ED).

Back on Topic:
I think you have 2 choices:
1) keep the sedan... you like it, its your car. Enjoy it.
2) keep the 3 touring... only because its under warranty longer. When its warranty runs out (or a few months after) -- go get something else with a stick...

lip277
01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
You don't want my opinion.
But...
I have five cars. What's the problem with three? :D

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
If we could keep three cars, we would have kept the Z! Fun little car.

Optimus Prime
01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I'd get rid of the 3-wagon. The 330 is a nice vintage and you don't need 2 wagons.

dan
01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
keep the 330

dan
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Occasionally, my partner will have to drive the sedan (when the complicated and glitch-prone new 5 is in the shop).

why wouldn't she drive a loaner?

dan
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
And that year was the last of the great sounding H/K sound systems.

there was one?

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Oddly enough resale on both 3s is within a few hundred dollars. It's a wash financially unless you look at maintenance (free for the wagon; $$$ for the sedan). But I'm pretty sure one should only make car decisions based on emotion and not practicality or any other logical arguments. Now I just have to convince her of that--and she's a lawyer!

JST
01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
She told me a couple years ago that in ten years she wanted me to build a factory five Cobra kit car because, "it's so fucking hot".

You married Paris Hilton?

I say keep the 330, for all the reasons already articulated.

TD
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Another vote for ditching the little wagon.

Optimus Prime
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
You married Paris Hilton?

Now that's just mean samurai:

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Another vote for ditching the little wagon.

She's still bitter because I put the "ditch the Z or keep the 330i" to a cyber vote when we bought the little wagon. Everyone voted keep the Z and ditch the sedan, but I talked her into keeping my sedan. D'oh!

TD
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
But this is even more blatantly logical.

Nick M3
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
She's still bitter because I put the "ditch the Z or keep the 330i" to a cyber vote when we bought the little wagon. Everyone voted keep the Z and ditch the sedan, but I talked her into keeping my sedan. D'oh!
Well, look at it this way... If you end up driving the wagon full time, you're going to start REALLY missing the manual tranny in your 330. Eventually you'll hit a point where you're forced to buy another car. Keeping the 330 SAVES money.

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Exactly! Everyone CAN fit in the sedan (well, maybe not the dogs and baby at the same time) if need be. Not so the Z.

Plaz
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, look at it this way... If you end up driving the wagon full time, you're going to start REALLY missing the manual tranny in your 330. Eventually you'll hit a point where you're forced to buy another car. Keeping the 330 SAVES money.

The man speaks the truth.

wdc330i
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Very good logic. And SO true! And, of course, next time I bought a manual car, it'd have to be an upgrade over the 330i (say, an M3). So we save even more money in the long run not selling the 330. Really, I could be reasonably happy with the 330i for a very long time. After all, I've had it for almost 4 years--a real stretch for me!

FC
01-06-2006, 04:37 PM
The man speaks the truth.

Werd.

lip277
01-06-2006, 05:42 PM

I know... Did you see the===>

You don't want my opinion.
But...
I have five cars. What's the problem with three? ===> :D <===

wdc330i
01-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Looks like we'll keep the 330i. And my father seems to want to buy the little wagon. Now, we have to sell my father's car: a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon, stick, with 41,000 miles.

I wish I could keep it until our still-in-utero kid turns 16 (or older)....The perfect teenager tank--168 hp, a stick, and safe as it gets.

dan
01-20-2006, 08:10 PM
in 16 years a 28 year old car won't be close to as safe as it gets

clyde
01-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Looks like we'll keep the 330i. And my father seems to want to buy the little wagon. Now, we have to sell my father's car: a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon, stick, with 41,000 miles.

I wish I could keep it until our still-in-utero kid turns 16 (or older)....The perfect teenager tank--168 hp, a stick, and safe as it gets.
Um, how much will you be asking for the 850, and is it somewhere near here? :eeps:

wdc330i
01-20-2006, 08:36 PM
We'll all be flying around in jet packs by then anyway....

TD
01-20-2006, 08:38 PM
God I hope not. Considering how typical people drive, jet packs (or their modern equivalent) is a scary ass concept.

wdc330i
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Um, how much will you be asking for the 850, and is it somewhere near here? :eeps:

Probably around $4,000. Parking lot dent in the rear driver's side door (bump and run driver); sagging headliner under the sun roof; staticky cassette/radio. Otherwise, recently serviced. New Pirelli all-seasons. Gently driven. Nordic blue, dark blue(?) heated leather seats (the most comfortable seats in the universe), traction (primitive) control. Gently driven. My father is an excellent driver; double clutcher from way back.

It does drive like a front-wheel-biased old Volvo...Lots of schlepping room, though.

wdc330i
01-20-2006, 08:44 PM
God I hope not. Considering how typical people drive, jet packs (or their modern equivalent) is a scary ass concept.

Actually I think we'll all be in little travel pods, computer controlled to keep their distance from other traffic and take you where you want to go. ZZZZzzz.

clyde
01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Probably around $4,000. Parking lot dent in the rear driver's side door (bump and run driver); sagging headliner under the sun roof; staticky cassette/radio. Otherwise, recently serviced. New Pirelli all-seasons. Gently driven. Nordic blue, dark blue(?) heated leather seats (the most comfortable seats in the universe), traction (primitive) control. Gently driven. My father is an excellent driver; double clutcher from way back.

It does drive like a front-wheel-biased old Volvo...Lots of schlepping room, though.

For a stop and go 7 mile round trip commute, and occasional errand running which I'm currently doing in a 1991 Buick LeSabre, I don't think that "front-wheel-biased old Volvo" would be an issue.

I really may be interested. And I live in SS.

Rob
01-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Our Volvo wagon, while newer than this one, does everything we ask of it. Yeah, the clutch is soft, but it hauls cargo, runs dependably (with more miles than the 850, too), and fits the kid and two big dogs with no problem. Oh, and the bick rack clamps on like it was designed to fit without hassle. Mostly b/c it was designed to fit without hassle when the car was still on the drawing board.

Glad to hear you are keeping the sedan, for your sake. Two wagons really didn't make sense to me.

Plaz
01-20-2006, 11:49 PM

http://www.devilducky.com/media/31501/

wdc330i
01-21-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.devilducky.com/media/31501/

Wow. Some work to be done on that technology. LOL.

wdc330i
01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
For a stop and go 7 mile round trip commute, and occasional errand running which I'm currently doing in a 1991 Buick LeSabre, I don't think that "front-wheel-biased old Volvo" would be an issue.

I really may be interested. And I live in SS.

Cool. I'll chat with my dad and get back to you.

[QUOTE=rwg]Glad to hear you are keeping the sedan, for your sake. Two wagons really didn't make sense to me.

Thanks, rwg. It's still a bit of a sore spot, because I was theoretically on board to keep both wagons when we bought the big one. But when it came down to it, I couldn't do without at least one fun car in the stable. It makes it a little easier that we're keeping the cute little wagon in the family.

[QUOTE=rwg]Our Volvo wagon, while newer than this one, does everything we ask of it. Yeah, the clutch is soft, but it hauls cargo, runs dependably (with more miles than the 850, too), and fits the kid and two big dogs with no problem. Oh, and the bick rack clamps on like it was designed to fit without hassle. Mostly b/c it was designed to fit without hassle when the car was still on the drawing board.

You're right the clutch is very soft and the throws on the shifter are ridiculously long. But it's a great family hauler, with HUGE cargo space when the seats are folded down. The mechanic at Martens my father goes to has been trying to buy the car from him for a couple of years. Apparently, this vintage (pre-Ford ownership) is relatively problem-free.

rumatt
01-21-2006, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm late to this party..

To me the issue isn't that having two wagons is a problem. But driving an automatic when you don't want to isn't acceptable. You'll be cranky. If it was just that you didn't like the soft handling you could always modify the suspension somehow, but that damn slush-o-matic will still be there.

If you hate driving a slushie, you have no choice but to either a) dump the little wagon, or b) dump both and buy something else.

wdc330i
01-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't mind driving a slushie from time to time. But all the time is daunting to me. I actually ditched my first 330i, a step without sport package, after just 18 months. I thought I could handle an automatic after a lifetime of manuals, but I could not.

clyde
02-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Cool. I'll chat with my dad and get back to you.

: pri: