PDA

View Full Version : Paint repair -- beyond paint chips

RKT BMR
11-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Some of you are familiar with my paint-chip repair project from discussions on the 'fest. While I've had great success, there was one exception, and unfortunately it's bad.

Trying to fix a sizable V-shaped scratch, I ended up sanding off the clear coat in a 2x2" area. It isn't really that noticable, and in fact, I usually have to point it out to anyone for them to see it (then it's obvious). The following picture was taken at an angle and exposure tailored to maximize the visibility:

http://davidwaller.net/staging/disaster.jpg

I'm leaving it alone for now, 'cause I plan to get the M3 aero kit on the next 12 months, and when they paint that, I'll just have them repaint the hood as well.

However, it's starting to bug me, so I'm beggining the process of investigating what/how I might go about fixing it. Hence, my posting... I'm looking for any comments, tips, advice, etc., from knowelegable folks about painting adventures more involved than just filling chips.

I'm thinking of the following process:
very lightly wet-sand the area with 2000 grit, just to rough it up a bit, and to knock down the edges of the damaged area. Using a hobby micro compressor/sprayer (used for painting models, etc.), spray clearcoat on the area, thinned with probably lacquer thinner or something. Clay, lightly sand, and repeat. Put on about 3-4 coats. Allow to fully cure for a week. Do a final careful sanding, then polish with Griots #1->#2->#3 in the usual manner.

Comments gratefully accepted!!

Doug
11-02-2003, 07:23 PM
That should work