PDA

View Full Version : Rum, have you seen this one?

BahnBaum
01-06-2005, 07:20 AM
I guess the mods moved your e30 thread, but did you see this one? (It's an '88, but he's selling the solution for the diving boards that you don't like...)

http://alextbaum.smugmug.com/photos/13805325-L.jpg

Alex

rumatt
01-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that. :eeps: It's also here (http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=29149) It lists a few "Needs" at the end.

Lately I've been leaning toward waiting a bit, and doing the first 1 or 2 DE's in my 330. The purchase price of an E30 is within my range that I'm just willing to buy it, and figure out if it was the right idea later.. but I *know* I would want to rip out the entire suspension, and all the bushings (I don't like clunking, or loose, sloppy rear ends :speechle: ) and by then I've spend enough money that I should be pretty damn sure I know what I want (and that I even like the track enough to spend it).

We'll see. I'm still monitoring the E30 ads, just to be sure. :D I tend to change my mind a lot, if you hadn't noticed. :oops:

BahnBaum
01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I saw that. :eeps: It's also here (http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=29149) It lists a few "Needs" at the end.

Lately I've been leaning toward waiting a bit, and doing the first 1 or 2 DE's in my 330. The purchase price of an E30 is within my range that I'm just willing to buy it, and figure out if it was the right idea later.. but I *know* I would want to rip out the entire suspension, and all the bushings (I don't like clunking, or loose, sloppy rear ends :speechle: ) and by then I've spend enough money that I should be pretty damn sure I know what I want (and that I even like the track enough to spend it).

We'll see. I'm still monitoring the E30 ads, just to be sure. :D I tend to change my mind a lot, if you hadn't noticed. :oops:

The needs are pretty minor. This sounds like a very good deal at $1995. Just goes to show you that the right deal will be there, you just have to wait. At the point when you're ready, I'm sure the car you want will eventually come along.

And I forgot, you really hate white cars. If I was done with the 318is workwise, I'd look at this one for my 15 year old who's starting to look for his first car.

alex

FC
01-06-2005, 09:33 AM

The needs are pretty minor. This sounds like a very good deal at $1995. Just goes to show you that the right deal will be there, you just have to wait. At the point when you're ready, I'm sure the car you want will eventually come along.

And I forgot, you really hate white cars. If I was done with the 318is workwise, I'd look at this one for my 15 year old who's starting to look for his first car.

alex

I was going to say the same. The "needs" are VERY minor. For 2K, it's a steal IMO. I love those cars in white, so if I EVER were interested in one, I'd take this one in a heartbeat.

Granted, I'd still have to see it and make sure everything else not mentioned is in good working order, but aside from that, to me, that deal is hard to beat.

rumatt
01-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Found this on cars.com. No pics, nothing:

325I '89 Red. 2 dr. 5 spd. 98k orig. mi. New tires. Great cond. $3,200 or b/o.

Called the guy and he said the entire motor was rebuilt at 79K. His bottom line is $2800. Claims it runs great, and burns no oil.

Why the engine would need a complete rebuild at 79K is a bit odd. Plus, any time you buy a rebuilt engine I guess you're trusting the person who rebuilt it... Maybe it's great, but maybe you're getting a big mess.

Roadstergal
01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Why the engine would need a complete rebuild at 79K is a bit odd.

You didn't ask?

With an E30, might be hex head bolts, but that's a legitimate Q...

rumatt
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
You didn't ask?

Yeah, I know. :oops:

It was a short phone call, and the guy was weird. Didn't like him, and I'm not ready to buy, so I just hung up.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 11:47 AM
My latest strategy is to keep an eye out for a street driveable, but already somewhat setup autox/track car. Something like this (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279826) could be perfect, but this guy seems to be missing in action. If the right car comes along, the total cost could be back in the range of my monopoly money.

BahnBaum, I'm looking forward to hearing your driving impressions after your overhaul is done.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 04:36 PM
TD, you like sedan's, right? This is down by you.

Red 318i 135K miles (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=UWDVCC5FXOGTLLAZGKCJPRA?trac ktype=usedcc&searchType=22&paId=162606062&pageNumb er=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0 &sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&c ertifiedOnly=false&recnum=1&leadExists=true&criter ia=K-%7CE-ANY%7CM-_5_%7CH-7%7CD-_30_%7CN-N%7CR-500%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CY-_1991-1990-1989_%7CX-popular%7CZ-10562&aff=national)

I'm considering sedans now, as well as non- "is" coupes. They're quite a bit cheaper, and the seats/suspension are changeable.

TD
01-08-2005, 04:56 PM
TD, you like sedan's, right? This is down by you.

Red 318i 135K miles (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=UWDVCC5FXOGTLLAZGKCJPRA?trac ktype=usedcc&searchType=22&paId=162606062&pageNumb er=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0 &sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&c ertifiedOnly=false&recnum=1&leadExists=true&criter ia=K-%7CE-ANY%7CM-_5_%7CH-7%7CD-_30_%7CN-N%7CR-500%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CY-_1991-1990-1989_%7CX-popular%7CZ-10562&aff=national)

I'm considering sedans now, as well as non- "is" coupes. They're quite a bit cheaper, and the seats/suspension are changeable.

If I did an E30, it would be an iS coupe. (How do you write "is" so it doesn't look like "is"?) I have no interest in the sedans. Since they are definitely too small to serve as kid haulers, any E30 would have to be cheap enough to be a third car "toy". And for that I'd want a 2-door. Plus I never liked the looks of the E30 sedans.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Plus I never liked the looks of the E30 sedans.

In some ways I agree with you. For a track car I'd consider it though.

This one's more your style.

http://photos.imageevent.com/rstewart/bobby/325is7.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/rstewart/bobby/325is6.jpg

TD
01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
And what's the story on that one? Link?

rumatt
01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
It's in Kansas. :roll: It's been repainted and had a tranny swap (I think).

You need to be a member of R3V to see

http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16150&sid=ae5186e3c8fceb5ca58f2b91 d5273084

BahnBaum
01-08-2005, 10:12 PM
It's in Kansas. :roll: It's been repainted and had a tranny swap (I think).

You need to be a member of R3V to see

http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16150&sid=ae5186e3c8fceb5ca58f2b91 d5273084

And what's up with bottlecaps on an is (I agree TD, is or IS, neither looks right). Mine had bottlecaps also. I figure the PO had aftermarket rims at some point and replaced them with cheapie bottlecaps.

Alex

Roadstergal
01-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I can't see the ad, but es models came with bottlecaps instead of basketweaves.

I think folk ask for too much for the is models. The suspension needs to be replaced at this age anyway, so all you're looking at is body bits, which is taste, wheels that are a beeyotch to clean and aren't light that you'd want to replace anyway, seats and a steering wheel that you can get on non-is models, and an LSD, which is an easy swap into a non-is car.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 10:24 PM
And what's up with bottlecaps on an is (I agree TD, is or IS, neither looks right).

He said something about taking them for a different car of his.

I definitely don't require it to be an "is". Maybe I would if it were a toy/weekend/collector car. But for autox/track, it can be ugly.

I'm up for DIY, and learning to do some of the advanced stuff in my garage. But I'm not up for an entire vehicle overhaul by myself, so I'd love to find one that has a some percentage of the stuff already done (new suspension, etc).

Roadstergal
01-08-2005, 10:39 PM
But I'm not up for an entire vehicle overhaul by myself

You might be surprised at how easy that is on an E30.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 10:56 PM

Maybe.. but it's still a non-trivial time and money committment. I could easily spend 3K on a car and 3K on upgrades. A semi-track-ready car for $4500 could be a bargain.

Plus BahnBaum's experience with the subframe bushings scared me off a little. :|

bren
01-08-2005, 11:32 PM
My latest strategy is to keep an eye out for a street driveable, but already somewhat setup autox/track car. Something like this (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279826) could be perfect, but this guy seems to be missing in action.
Hey, I know that car. I'm pretty sure that he already sold it.

rumatt
01-08-2005, 11:39 PM

It was fishy that he hadn't checked his classified ad thread in months.

Can you find me another one like it? :D

BahnBaum
01-08-2005, 11:42 PM

Maybe.. but it's still a non-trivial time and money committment. I could easily spend 3K on a car and 3K on upgrades. A semi-track-ready car for $4500 could be a bargain.

Plus BahnBaum's experience with the subframe bushings scared me off a little. :|

I survived (thanks to lots of help from time-generous people). 3 days, but everything is done. (Except for the massively loud exhaust leak which I'll eliminate by tightening some things up tomorrow). I'm pretty sure you're not going to buy anything track ready and not want to do some work and upgrades, might as well buy a cheap one and know that you're setting it up the way you want it.

Alex

bren
01-09-2005, 12:21 AM

It was fishy that he hadn't checked his classified ad thread in months.

Can you find me another one like it? :D
Well, I do know of a red 318is with all new suspension bits....what'll you give me for it? :D

rumatt
01-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Well, I do know of a red 318is with all new suspension bits....what'll you give me for it? :D

Trust me, I'll make it worth your efforts. :D We'd better take this to PM. :paranoid:

BahnBaum
01-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Hold on, I need to go outside and lock my doors.

And hide my keys.

Alex

bren
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM

And hide my keys.

Alex
Don't worry....I think you'll hear it start up. :p

BahnBaum
01-09-2005, 12:34 AM

And hide my keys.

Alex
Don't worry....I think you'll hear it start up. :p

Huh?

Alex

bren
01-09-2005, 12:39 AM
....everything is done. (Except for the massively loud exhaust leak ...)

Besides, I've already arranged for him to pick up the car in Detroit.

rumatt
01-09-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm pretty sure you're not going to buy anything track ready and not want to do some work and upgrades, might as well buy a cheap one and know that you're setting it up the way you want it.

You may be right... But given my circumstances, if I got lucky and found something that's partially setup the way I want it, I'd probably hit it .

rumatt
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Why the engine would need a complete rebuild at 79K is a bit odd.

You didn't ask?

I was too curious, so I called and asked. He said that the car was in storage when he bought it, and a complete engine rebuild was already planned when he bought it, so it was part of the deal. I asked again why it needed it, he said he didn't know.

He sounded like an italian mobster. :speechle:

He said he used the car to drive to Montreal 3 times (from NJ) and now because of a divorce he needs to get rid of it. Recent tuneup, burns no oil, everything else is stock, and it rides great. No rust, except a tiny blister forming by the exhaust pipes.

$2800 (or less if he took it) could be a good deal for a 325i with 98K miles... if the engine story isn't fishy.

bren
01-09-2005, 05:32 PM
If you can verify that the engine in fact has been rebuilt than why does it matter what caused it to go bad in the first place?

rumatt
01-09-2005, 05:37 PM
If you can verify that the engine in fact has been rebuilt than why does it matter what caused it to go bad in the first place?

I guess the quality of the rebuild is more important than why it was rebuilt. I'm thinking of going to take a look at the car... It's almost 2 hours away though.