08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
'08 C6, '10 2SS, '09 G37S, '08 335i

someone just f'ing shoot me

please

Only if you buy all 4.

Alex

John V
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
You never got to drive Ken's car before he sold it, right?

Go to Carmax and drive one. Awesome, awesome car.

bren
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
The decision was made. Just pull the trigger already.

TD
08-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Definitely a continuum there, from hard to soft.

I'm not sure why you're even pretending to be considering the Infiniti or BMW, based on what you've said you want.

clyde
08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
You never got to drive Ken's car before he sold it, right?

Someone should have told me he was selling before he sold. It would probably be mine, now. Oh well.

I'm now back to Camaro thanks to Alex and Bren.

Thank you.

BahnBaum
08-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm now back to Camaro thanks to Alex and Bren.

Thank you.

My pleasure.

Dibs on a drive.

Alex

Sharp11
08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Make sure you drive a 335i - and while you're at it, the 135, too. :)

I'd like to drive a G37 coupe - looks like a tempting car.

I'd also like to drive the Hundai Genesis coupe (ducks as slings and arrows come my way:lol:)

Good luck choosing :)

JST
08-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Actually, Sharp's got a point--the Hyundai is worth at least a look, just out of curiosity's sake.

Also, why no E46 M3 on this list--those are pretty frigging cheap these days.

Rob
08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
If you come to San Diego soon, you can beat on my 335. If you wait too long, you will have to take a hike north of L.A.

I haven't had any free time for the past month or so, so I haven't been able to mention or write up my impressions of the C6 Z06. I drove my brother's about 3 weekends ago. In short, OMFG!! What a car. He scared the hell out of me when I was in the passenger seat, but then I drove the same course at more or less the same speed and from the driver's seat, it wasn't even pushing the comfort zone, much less the limit. You "real" drivers can call them soft or whatever all you want compared to the C5 - I would have a blast every single damn weekend in that thing. If I didn't have kids and college to worry about in 15 years. The kicker is I think he paid something like $45k used.

Sorry Clyde. Just food for thought. :) I can arrange a test drive if you can make it to Indianapolis.

John V
08-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Ken decided he was going to sell it and then acted on that decision within a day. Not much room for discussion :( .

clyde
08-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Make sure you drive a 335i - and while you're at it, the 135, too. :)

I'd like to drive a G37 coupe - looks like a tempting car.

I'd also like to drive the Hundai Genesis coupe (ducks as slings and arrows come my way:lol:)

Good luck choosing :)

Actually, Sharp's got a point--the Hyundai is worth at least a look, just out of curiosity's sake.

Also, why no E46 M3 on this list--those are pretty frigging cheap these days.

E46 M3. Blah. Cheap or not, it's never been the car for me. If the alternative to the Genesis was the V6 Camaro, sure. But I wouldn't buy a V6 Camaro.

The G37 Coupe has been on the short list all along as the 370Z (which has also on the list from the start) alternative with a back seat. What I didn't realize was how cheap the G37 S sedan could be had new. That's what upset the apple cart tonight, because once I started thinking about the G35 sedan, I had to think about the 335i, too.

And then, this is where Alex came in and helped me sort it out mentally.

Everything else being equal, the G8 GXP is the best fit across all concerns. Except not everything is equal. There appear to only be about 50 sticks left in inventory nationwide, nearly all of them are white or red (which I could live with, but meh), almost all have sunroofs, there's generally not much movement on price beyond GM incentives and some dealers are adding markup. Then, while I probably shouldn't, I do have nagging concerns about future parts availability. The way that the "old" GM is shaping up against the "new" GM for a car made in Australia for a now defunct brand in America just isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies. So the G8 GXP gets pushed to the side.

A G37 S or 335i would probably serve me very well for quite some time. I am sure that I'd be very happy and satisfied with either for the indefinite future. But they just don't do anything for me. They strike me as appliances. Nice appliances, but appliances.

The C6 is what it is. Quite honestly, the biggest attraction of the C6 for me is that it can serve as an autocross car if need be and not be so totally overclassed as to give me the "why bother?" thoughts that the Camaro does. It (2008 C6 Z51) is probably not the car for the class now, and will probably fall further over the next couple years, but it's close enough for my purposes. I've wanted to buy a Corvette ever since I sold the C4 I had many years ago (the C4 I have now and the C3 I had in the 80s/90s don't count). I'll always want to buy one. But those years and years of want have somehow tempered that desire and the want stays constant and feels normal. And if I get one, I need to add POS beater #3 to my driveway collection. 2 is plenty.

The Camaro. Lust. End of story.

JST
08-15-2009, 09:29 AM
The G37 is, IMHO, not a particularly interesting car to drive. I test drove one before ditching the 335, and the 335 was the better car in every way.

Last wild card--what about the (old) CTS-V?

clyde
08-15-2009, 11:25 AM
what about the (old) CTS-V?

the new CTS-V is a strong (if unreasonable) argument against

JST
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
The new CTS-V has nothing to do with the old one--it plays in a different performance and price league--it's like saying the ZR-1 is a reason to not buy a C6 Z51.

Frankly, I think that the old CTS-V strikes a much more reasonable perfomance:cost bargain. The new CTS-V really has moved past the realm where there is any marginal benefit from extra hp.

FWIW, I saw a Camaro just now Parker next to an E93. Holy crap that's a big car--it dwarfed the BMW. I understand why it weighs 3900 lbs--I'm kind of surprised it doesn't weigh more.

JST
08-15-2009, 11:38 AM
IPhonics. Parker = parked.

clyde
08-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Do you have something against the C6 Z06 which can be had for high 30's if you drive a hard enough bargain?

More than I want to spend. And I can't get an '08 (with much improved steering) for that anyway. Also, I have limited energy to put into the search and negotiation.

In the end, I still don't feel lust for it like I do the Camaro.

BahnBaum
08-15-2009, 11:46 AM
More than I want to spend. And I can't get an '08 (with much improved steering) for that anyway. Also, I have limited energy to put into the search and negotiation.

In the end, I still don't feel lust for it like I do the Camaro.

"Back away from the internet." "Back away from the internet."

Service Lisa and then get out, do the ergo check and place the order already.

Alex

clyde
08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Holy crap that's a big car-

And it's got such a tiny little trunk...with an even tinier opening. One of many parallel universe similarities to the RX-8 (which, of course, has quite a few parallel universe similarities to the generic BMW 3er).

clyde
08-15-2009, 11:53 AM
"Back away from the internet." "Back away from the internet."

I need the internets to help me figure out how to configure the car.

Sharp11
08-15-2009, 12:20 PM
And it's got such a tiny little trunk...with an even tinier opening. One of many parallel universe similarities to the RX-8 (which, of course, has quite a few parallel universe similarities to the generic BMW 3er).

I drove a 335i coupe with a six speed manual - I wouldn't describe it as "generic" - big and a smidge too refined yes (but smaller than the Camaro) :) It had a terrific exhaust note and felt all of a piece - like something built to last. Of course, it's what, a third to twice the price of the Camaro.

I'd completely forgotten about the 370z, in fact, I'd love to drive the convertible version. Let us know if you drive it.

Ed

Biggins
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Acura NSX?

clyde
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I drove a 335i coupe with a six speed manual - I wouldn't describe it as "generic"

335i = Accormry in Carmudgeonese.

I'd completely forgotten about the 370z, in fact, I'd love to drive the convertible version. Let us know if you drive it.

The current plan has me driving a 370 to Lincoln, NE and back in a few weeks.

Acura NSX?

probably not

Sharp11
08-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Acura NSX?

There must've been a gathering of NSX's at Lake George a couple of weeks ago, I kept seeing them around.

John V
08-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, you definitely don't want a pre-2008 C6 of any flavor, Z06 or not. And any Z06 that you can get for high 30's is one that you really really don't want. The good C6 Z06s (2008+) are trading for much more money than you're looking to spend.

Having checked out a couple co-workers' Camaros, I feel almost zero interest for them. Shockingly, I have more interest in the latest Mustang than the Camaro (and you know how much I hate all things Ford). I can't believe it's not on your list given your previous love for Mustangs. It's got a back seat, it looks great, and with the track pack it would be on that list as a "competitive enough" autocrosser, even if it's not the best car for the class.

JST
08-15-2009, 09:14 PM
And if the impending Coyote engine is what's giving you pause, why not just wait for the 5.0L to hit next year?

rumatt
08-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Aren't you a mustang boy?

clyde
08-15-2009, 09:42 PM
There's what I should do and what I want to do for no reason more meaningful than I want to do it. So, why not?

bren
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
..why not just wait for the __ to hit next year?
That right there is the problem with the Mustang.

clyde
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
put another way...some of you are familiar with me calling other people here on their needs to "fuck other women." That's certainly part of it, but I think what I told FC this spring nails it pretty good for myself here:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=229949&postcount=7

It's lust. It may be temporary. I'm okay with that. There's nothing that stands in the way of fulfilling that lust...and moving on relatively quickly if need be. Say, moving on to a 2008 Z06. Or a 2011 5.0L Mustang. Or...

ff
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Today's MotorWeek show had the Camaro go up against the Genesis coupe. (Both were outfitted with V6 & auto transmission :ack: ). It sounds like the Camaro's braking capabilities is a nice surprise; very short stops from 60 MPH.

I can burn the 5 minute clip to a small quicktime MOV or iPod movie, if you're interested, clyde.

clyde
08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Today's MotorWeek show had the Camaro go up against the Genesis coupe. (Both were outfitted with V6 & auto transmission :ack: ). It sounds like the Camaro's braking capabilities is a nice surprise; very short stops from 60 MPH.

I can burn the 5 minute clip to a small quicktime MOV or iPod movie, if you're interested, clyde.

No thanks. There's enough stuff out there already. Don't need more. Just need to get me one (with two more cylinders and one more pedal ;) )

Why?

What's wrong with the steering or the car in general?

drive them both and you'll feel it real quick