PDA

View Full Version : FC Gets His Jeep On

FC
02-05-2009, 07:40 AM
We'll see how it works out. As it turns out, the deal, while still amazing, may not be that much better than on an '09. Trouble is, there are actually less '09's out there (within 1000 miles of me) than '08's, so I'll find out if the deals are available only on cars in stock or not. Needless to say, if for virtually the same money I can order a new '09 from the dealer 1 mile from work, I'd rather do that.

Nick M3
02-05-2009, 08:43 AM
So, what are you getting? We must know.

FC
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
So, what are you getting? We must know.

New '08 Jeep Green Rubicon. $28K. 0% financing for 48 months.

But after I called that dealer I went to Jeep.com and configured an identical '09 and the Jeep website said after discoutns it was 29.5K. This (I assume) does not even touch the 3-3.5K in dealer profit.

So I called the dealer a mile away and told him if he can get me an '09 for $28K I'll buy it now. Pressumably he shoudl be able to do that and still pocket 1.5-2K, which you would think he'd be delirious about in this economy in the middle of winter.

We'll see. He's looking into it and should be calling back within the hour.

FC
02-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, the best the local dealer can do is 30K. Sure it's an '09 (and it could be ordered exactly as I want), etc but that's another $2K. I think I may just pull the trigger on the '08. It's not like I plan on selling this car for well, ever, so the new year doesn't really get me a whole lot.

ff
02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Pressumably he shoudl be able to do that and still pocket 1.5-2K, which you would think he'd be delirious about in this economy in the middle of winter.

If a dealer is making a $2000 profit on the sale of a new car in this climate, then the selling price is too high. :)

FC
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
If a dealer is making a $2000 profit on the sale of a new car in this climate, then the selling price is too high. :)

So apparently I'm way wrong. Employee pricing fixes everything.

Anyhow, I'm no getting the VA car anymore, so my trip just got scrapped. Sorry.

My wife says she needs me at home, she wants the tan interior, and buying a car from the dealership I will have it serviced/repaired in that's walking distance from work is a pretty big benefit. Nevermind that it is a year newer and there are a few couple of improvements. Factor my time, risk of buying a car that's been sitting on the lot for months sight unseen, cost of plane ticket/gas, etc and I think the extra $1500 off the '08 isn't worth it.

Crazy. I NEVER considered buying one new until a couple of days ago. And until late last night, never even bothered lookign at '09's never mind custom-ordering one.

equ
02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Absolutely agree. The deal is just not good enough... 08 should be far cheaper than 09, and surely on a car as popular as this, there's going to be inventory closer to Boston.

JST
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
So apparently I'm way wrong. Employee pricing fixes everything.

Anyhow, I'm no getting the VA car anymore, so my trip just got scrapped. Sorry.

My wife says she needs me at home, she wants the tan interior, and buying a car from the dealership I will have it serviced/repaired in that's walking distance from work is a pretty big benefit. Nevermind that it is a year newer and there are a few couple of improvements. Factor my time, risk of buying a car that's been sitting on the lot for months sight unseen, cost of plane ticket/gas, etc and I think the extra $1500 off the '08 isn't worth it.

Crazy. I NEVER considered buying one new until a couple of days ago. And until late last night, never even bothered lookign at '09's never mind custom-ordering one.

I'm not sure that now is the right time to buy, unless you really need to pull the trigger--sales are going to get worse. Chrysler may not actually survive the month of March; the question of whether Congress is going to be happy with the Fiat tie-up is an open one, I think, and even with Fiat (stupidly) agreeing to sort of come to the rescue, I am not sure Chrysler can make it.

The Jeep brand probably will come through in some form or another, but when Chrysler crashes to earth like that scene from the Chronicles of Riddick I am sure that the prices will get even better.

So, anyway, if you wait a few months you might get a deal that makes this one look bad.

And if you are custom ordering one I hope you are getting a stick...

FC
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure that now is the right time to buy, unless you really need to pull the trigger--sales are going to get worse. Chrysler may not actually survive the month of March; the question of whether Congress is going to be happy with the Fiat tie-up is an open one, I think, and even with Fiat (stupidly) agreeing to sort of come to the rescue, I am not sure Chrysler can make it.

The Jeep brand probably will come through in some form or another, but when Chrysler crashes to earth like that scene from the Chronicles of Riddick I am sure that the prices will get even better.

So, anyway, if you wait a few months you might get a deal that makes this one look bad.

And if you are custom ordering one I hope you are getting a stick...

Well, yeah, I have no pressure anymore. And I would get a stick, except for the one-slushy all the time rule. I rather get a stick on the next sportswagon (or sedan).

Also, chrysler has been throwing these crazy deals for a bit now and while they may still have assloads of liberties, GC's, etc, the supply of 4 door wranglers grows thin and there are relatively few '09's out there (rubicon supply is super thin - when I wanted to play hardball, the guy quickly said there were only 3 4-door rubicons in the entire east coast). The wrangler 4 doors are by far the most popular models on the most popular chrysler brand. Jeep fans (not a small crowd) have been snapping up these cars like crazy recently.

So while you may be right about chrysler throwing even more deals out, I just have to be careful I don't wind up without a chair.

kognito
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
One thing I would worry about (a little) is if Chrysler goes away, does that sweet lifetime powertrain warranty go away also??

FC
02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
One thing I would worry about (a little) is if Chrysler goes away, does that sweet lifetime powertrain warranty go away also??

I think that is a distinct possiblity.

TD
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Time for a thread split?

FC
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Time for a thread split?

Sure.

wdc330i
02-07-2009, 09:16 AM
What's happening with your Jeep, FC? There's a very nice one I pass on my way to work. Red. A great red too, but maybe you feel you've done red for awhile.

After 7 years with my black 330i, my top priority was to NOT get black for my latest vehicle. So far, Mineral Green may be the best look-clean-while-dirty color that BMW makes...