PDA

View Full Version : can now get the a4 2.0T with 6sp manual.

lemming
12-19-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-expands-a4-range-with-two-new-models.html

finally.

:dunno:

equ
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I just saw an avant S-line this weekend. The interior is seriously nice. It was red too, and equ's gf was enamored. She is normally not too interested in cars. Why was I at the audi dealer? Well, I was getting a coffee while checking out a 997S next door.

JST
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Wait, so the new S4 is down 10HP and running on a V6 instead of a V8?

I am not sure I like the new i_drive thing in the S4.

I assume the RS4 Avant will once again not come to the US?

Right on the new S4, but it sounds like a lot better bet than the old V8. Lighter, more economical, just as fast--what's not to like?

John V
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
The guy who came to drive my Boxster today said he can't wait to get out of his A4. From his description of his experience with that car, it sounds like a VAG product through and through. :ack:

equ
01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
JV, they've changed a lot... There is very little gap, if any, between them and bmw's.

JST
01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
JV, they've changed a lot... There is very little gap, if any, between them and bmw's.

Yes, and in my experience BMWs have far more random service lights flashing on for no reason. :ack:

equ
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
As much as I'm in love with my N52 and steering/ride feel, the inside/outside looks and the awd platform will make the a4 my next car when the 330i gets replaced. I'm thinking 2010 or 2011 will be when this happens.

ff
01-26-2009, 10:35 AM
As much as I'm in love with my N52 and steering/ride feel, the inside/outside looks and the awd platform will make the a4 my next car when the 330i gets replaced. I'm thinking 2010 or 2011 will be when this happens.

I still don't care much for the A's dash layout, but the materials are first rate, and the exterior is quite attractive.

TD
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
For what it is, our prior-gen '08 A4 Avant has been great. No regrets.

John V
01-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Fair argument, his is an older one, 2004 model year timeframe. I'm still not sure I'd want to own one long term. Too scary.

nbj
01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Fair argument, his is an older one, 2004 model year timeframe. I'm still not sure I'd want to own one long term. Too scary.

With regard to the A4, I think the B5 A4 was pretty reliable. I still have my 1996 B5 A4 and it's had no problems after 13 years - even after driving it on Cleveland, Chicago, and Minneapolis roads for more than a decade and letting John V. drive it a few times. :dunno:

However, my parents 2002 B6 A4 has had numerous issues...

equ
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I just test drove the 2009 a4 2.0T slushy. It wasn't a sport or an s-line and it wasn't an MT so consider this only a test of the engine which is... drumroll...

great. I really quite liked it, short little drive. Still has the nvh of a 4-banger but it's a happy, torquey puppy. I'd have to beat the shit out of my e90 330i to be as fast in traffic. I just wish they had an avant MT, the b8 generation a4 has gotten really good and there probably is one in my future. It must give up something at high revs, but for a daily it rocks. Ride is ok, not great, not terrible. Hopefully it doesn't degrade with the sport suspension. Steering is the biggest issue. Oh, and the 3.2 is dead in the water. Why would anyone? Why do they even build it anymore?

JST
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
In traffic and for commuting, I really liked the old 2.0T, so I'm not surprised that the new one is also a joy to use. The real question for me is how the car does at highway speeds in the mountains; my old A4 was simply gutless at, e.g., 80 mph going up hill. That's were you can see the disadvantage of only having c. 200 hp.

The 335 and M3, per contra, do not have that problem.

TD
02-17-2009, 11:40 AM
In traffic and for commuting, I really liked the old 2.0T, so I'm not surprised that the new one is also a joy to use. The real question for me is how the car does at highway speeds in the mountains; my old A4 was simply gutless at, e.g., 80 mph going up hill. That's were you can see the disadvantage of only having c. 200 hp.

When we drove up to Lake Champlain this past summer, with a Thule cargo box on the roof plus a bike, loaded up with luggage and a total of 4 people, we did just fine climbing the mountains. Sure, it got crappy gas mileage under those conditions, but it never felt gutless. Hell, we managed to maintain quite a nice rate of speed.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3584&d=1218467071

equ
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM

I didn't speed past 75 on my test drive but the engine felt very different from the old 2.0T. It has a stronger pull and much less vibration. On a short drive, it felt more enjoyable than my e90 330i, minus the steering. I'll drive again later in the year.

JST
02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
When we drove up to Lake Champlain this past summer, with a Thule cargo box on the roof plus a bike, loaded up with luggage and a total of 4 people, we did just fine climbing the mountains. Sure, it got crappy gas mileage under those conditions, but it never felt gutless. Hell, we managed to maintain quite a nice rate of speed.

Maintaining 80 wasn't a problem--I'm talking about dropping the hammer at 80 and trying to get around the person in front of you during the uphill sections where there are three lanes instead of two. Admittedly, the run from 80 to, say, 100 or 110 while going uphill is asking a lot of a car, but that's where a (relatively) high-torque, low-horsepower engine like the 2.0T shows its Achille's heel.

TD
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Maintaining 80 wasn't a problem--I'm talking about dropping the hammer at 80 and trying to get around the person in front of you during the uphill sections where there are three lanes instead of two. Admittedly, the run from 80 to, say, 100 or 110 while going uphill is asking a lot of a car, but that's where a (relatively) high-torque, low-horsepower engine like the 2.0T shows its Achille's heel.
Admittedly, there is no 335i or M3 caliber hammer to drop.

But I do not recall having any problems pulling out and kicking the speed up, even uphill, even when already doing 80+. Did it rocket up to 110+? Of course not. But it got out of it's own way in a reasonably authoritative manner. It didn't feel "gutless", IMO.

FC
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM

:+1

The 190E and Saabaru were good at keeping good speed. In fact it wasn't very difficult getting them up to 100 (both cars were ~3000lbs, and had ~160hp/tq). But nevermind 80, how about accelerating from 60 to 80, or 70 to 90 loaded up with gear/people? The V70R does a great job at this. It gives Excursion-levels of mpg when flooring it like that, but it's reasuring that it can get out of the way or around things quickly (with suspension and brakes to match).

OT: That is why for all it's faults, the V70R is a great family/trip/slippery conditions car and the sane thing to do is to keep it for that role for a long time. It's when I ponder driving it ALL the time, that I start getting annoyed.

IndyMike
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Steering is the biggest issue.
Why is that with Audi? Their steering racks remind me of the overboosted one for the '01 BMW's that drove many of us up the wall.

They bring a lovely package to the table (albeit a bit heavy and pricey), then muck it up with so much slop in the steering. I don't understand it.

Are the S derivative's fraught with the same woes?

One of the delights of the schnell bunny is its deliciously weighted steering rack. With the exception of low speed variable assist, at normal and WOT output is immediate and linear to input. The ZHP is the same way (sans variable assist).

If Audi were to inject the A4 with a similar rack as the R32 I would probably be compelled to at least consider it as a future replacement for the 330. And there might even be an A3 instead of the R in the stable were it not for the same stumbling block.

It's probably something that most people don't even notice, and may in fact be their preference.

But it just reminds me too vividly of the numb steering of the '01 330 I once had.

IndyMike
02-17-2009, 05:41 PM

What kind of real world gas mileage is the Avant normally returning?

IndyMike
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
My last tank was 15mpg.:lol::lol:
:ack:

Apparently you are 'liberally' applying the throttle to her.

Probably one of the few times that term will ever be associated with you. :)