PDA

View Full Version : LOL. I could turn in my lease in March and get THIS...

TD
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249669737

JST
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249669737

That's funny. Plus, with a name like "Guarantee Automaxx," you know you are dealing with a broker you can trust. Lowest prices in Stafford, VA!

TD
11-19-2008, 05:11 PM
That's funny. Plus, with a name like "Guarantee Automaxx," you know you are dealing with a broker you can trust. Lowest prices in Stafford, VA!
Oh, I laughed at that building behind it. It just screams "Reputable Reseller."

Nick M3
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh, I laughed at that building behind it. It just screams "Reputable Reseller."
So... What's the gap between that price and your residual? $10K? $15K?

SARAFIL
11-19-2008, 08:29 PM

TD, if you like your current car enough to consider buying it, you could probably work through the dealer to get a lower buyout price at the end of the lease depending on what the wholesale market for that car is like.

I am turning in my MZ4 early (probably next week) and I just checked the buyout... it is nearly $14,000 less than my residual, and I am 9,000 miles under my allowance. Yikes!!! I called BMWFS to see if they might offer me a deal as "the customer" (did not say I was calling from the dealer), but I was instructed that they do not normally haggle on residual buyouts but that I should call back within the last 60 days to see if BMW has any "special incentives" in place at that time for me to buy the car. I have heard rumors recently that BMW has been giving some people deals to buy their cars, so I was wondering if it was true.

equ
11-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Ooh la la, that is just like mine.. :)

Some small things are irritating, and AWD claws at the back of my mind for snow power, but for all other purposes the e90 330i is one of the best bmws (and cars in general) out there for me. Given that I keep a dedicated 2-seater, I can stay away from M-madness. They are cool, but not so much fun at low speeds and a bit brutal for day in day out (at least the e46 was). A warrantied 330i is only several grand more to buy than a long in the tooth e34m5 and while that car may be cool, this is twice as comfortable and easy to live with. That said, I paid a lot more than that for mine, but it's a cpo and was at 28k miles.

TD
11-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Ooh la la, that is just like mine.. :)

You are aware that there isn't anything I can identify about that car (from pics and text) that is different from mine - except I only have ~38K miles and I've got a massive door ding.

TD
11-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Actually, the gap isn't that large. But I had to look it up to realize that.

You may remember, I got mine during some of the best lease terms ever. With a 36 month lease and 15K/yr, the residual was 62%. Applied to a sticker just north of $42K, that gives a residual of around $26,100. I'm sure I could move it a few $K if I was serious.

Yes, I see plenty of '06 330i cars on Autotrader for more. But it doesn't make it a good deal. And I've always siad that I'd never own this car - too much stuff can and will break.

equ
11-20-2008, 07:40 AM
I guess I have 1.5 years on the warranty and another 2 years of cpo remaining, so I'm not worrying. Other than a sometimes shaky idle and a slightly inconsistent clutch, which I assume were there when I purchased, nothing has gone wrong in the four months, 4.5k that I've had it. Nothing really went wrong on the 330xi either, so I'm basically completing a year with the e90.

I'm not in LA, so the average porsche is not a boring sight here. The 3er however is. This bothered and I thought about it a fair amount when I traded in the 330xi. I checked out the a5's, 335's etc. Let's say the 330 market value is in the mid-20's. What can I get for that that's better all around? Nothing. The audis, while nice in some ways, still do not drive better. Better to look at, in and out, but worse steering, worse ride and not as nice a 6-cylinder... 335 is a very close car with more power, not what I'm looking for... So I really have no other choices if I'm somewhat budget minded.

FC
11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Let's say the 330 market value is in the mid-20's. What can I get for that that's better all around? Nothing.

:+1

...except maybe an older ZHP, but that's in out-of-warranty territory.

equ
11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Well, mine is a twin (triplet?) as well. Black/terra/wood, cold/prem/sport/6mt/sirius. I expect to keep it 2.5 to 3 years, we'll see on that.

TD, if you like the car, why don't you have the dealer CPO it for you? I know some dealers used to do this (some don't like it). So essentially at lease end, you pay an extra $1300-1500 or so (cpo used to cost $995 to the dealer and then pay a bit for their hassle and perhaps 1-2 hrs of checking).

I guess if your residual is too high in this down market, you may want to see if bmwna will offer you a lower one. Though I hear cpo sales are relatively strong.

equ
11-20-2008, 07:46 AM
:+1

...except maybe an older ZHP, but that's in out-of-warranty territory.

Well, by the same argument, you are deep into the teens. Think about it, it takes a tremendous amount of time and abuse to drive a bmw's value down to ten... You have close to a free car at this point (which makes no sense to sell now or a year from now).

FC
11-20-2008, 07:47 AM
So essentially at lease end, you pay an extra $1300-1500 or so (cpo used to cost $995 to the dealer and then pay a bit for their hassle and perhaps 1-2 hrs of checking).

Extended warranty (just like CPO) was $2k for my car a couple of years back. If he can really get the same coverage for 1.5K or less, that would be a great deal.

TD
11-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, mine is a twin (triplet?) as well. Black/terra/wood, cold/prem/sport/6mt/sirius. I expect to keep it 2.5 to 3 years, we'll see on that.

TD, if you like the car, why don't you have the dealer CPO it for you? I know some dealers used to do this (some don't like it). So essentially at lease end, you pay an extra $1300-1500 or so (cpo used to cost $995 to the dealer and then pay a bit for their hassle and perhaps 1-2 hrs of checking).

I guess if your residual is too high in this down market, you may want to see if bmwna will offer you a lower one. Though I hear cpo sales are relatively strong.
Anyone have a sense of how to determine what the cost to the dealer would be of a car coming off of lease (BMWFS's transfer cost?)?

Sharp11
11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Actually, the gap isn't that large. But I had to look it up to realize that.

You may remember, I got mine during some of the best lease terms ever. With a 36 month lease and 15K/yr, the residual was 62%. Applied to a sticker just north of $42K, that gives a residual of around $26,100. I'm sure I could move it a few $K if I was serious.

Yes, I see plenty of '06 330i cars on Autotrader for more. But it doesn't make it a good deal. And I've always siad that I'd never own this car - too much stuff can and will break.

You probably did well by leasing, the value of higher end three year old cars, right now, is pretty poor.

If you like the car and could take advantage of the depressed market and buy it out for a good price, that'd be a good way to go - let's say you keep it another three years, you'll have done well with this car in financial terms having had BMW absorb some of the depreciation.

The poster who mentioned CPO'ing it has a good idea too.

Look at it this way, you're probably going to have to buy this time and if you're considering used, why not buy a car you know?

Ed

equ
11-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Anyone have a sense of how to determine what the cost to the dealer would be of a car coming off of lease (BMWFS's transfer cost?)?

In a "normal" market, you could pay about 1.5k on top of your lease residual and buy back your own lease return as a cpo (and get $500 back through bmwcca ;)). I'm not sure if you can still do this if you negotiate your lease residual. A friendly dealer should be able to tell you. Perhaps Fil knows.

TD
11-20-2008, 03:45 PM
In a "normal" market, you could pay about 1.5k on top of your lease residual and buy back your own lease return as a cpo (and get $500 back through bmwcca ;)). I'm not sure if you can still do this if you negotiate your lease residual. A friendly dealer should be able to tell you. Perhaps Fil knows.
As $1.5K on top of my residual is $27.6K, that's not happening. That's at least $3-4K too much, IMO.

equ
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I realize that. That is why I think it needs to be checked if you can cpo it and get a negotiated residual.