PDA

View Full Version : Well, I've always wanted one.

John V
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
I wanted to buy one in 2002, but couldn't afford it and bought my E36 M3 instead. I wanted to buy one in 2005 but for various reasons picked up a Boxster instead. This time I managed to pull the trigger. And I posted this in the perseverators section because I am incredibly guilty of that behavior... I just don't do it publicly.

I won't have it until October, but as I put the deposit check in the mail, I'm feeling a bit giddy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/2400095982_8d8bc9b9d4_b.jpg

Anyone wanna buy a Boxster S?

FC
08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Cool.

So what about big bird?

zach
08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Nice car!

ff
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Congrats! Is that the Z06?

John V
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Cool.So what about big bird?

For sale. Inquire within. :)

Congrats! Is that the Z06?

Thanks. Yes, it's a 2004 Z06.

FC
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
For sale. Inquire within. :)

Shit. I'll PM you.

ff
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Shit. I'll PM you.

But if you buy John's car, then you'll have nothing left to waffle about... :D

FC
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM

I know. Well, at least for a while.

John V
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM

It's cheap enough that he doesn't have to waffle. :lol:

clyde
08-20-2008, 08:28 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2769051041_f8c701dd2b.jpg?v=0

A more recent pic of the car.

I can't wait. :D

FC
08-20-2008, 08:35 AM
So this thing is all ready to go for competition?

John V
08-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Yes, which is why I was really interested in it. I've been tracking Z06 prices and availability for the past year or so and prices are dropping steadily as the market is flooded with them. I think this one was a particularly good deal for what comes with it. It's set up (although we'll probably change it), it comes with many sets of wheels, two sets of shocks, two front sways, a set of rain tires, a set of good slicks, an exhaust, a harness bar and harnesses and some other goodies. It really should be plug and play.

Plus I know the owner... he's a good guy and I'm comfortable dealing with him.

My co-workers will tease me mercilessly for this.

FC
08-20-2008, 08:50 AM

F-them.:D

Sounds like a good find.

ff
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Invite them to line up next to you at the drag strip. That'll shut 'em up. :cool:

lemming
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes, which is why I was really interested in it. I've been tracking Z06 prices and availability for the past year or so and prices are dropping steadily as the market is flooded with them. I think this one was a particularly good deal for what comes with it. It's set up (although we'll probably change it), it comes with many sets of wheels, two sets of shocks, two front sways, a set of rain tires, a set of good slicks, an exhaust, a harness bar and harnesses and some other goodies. It really should be plug and play.

Plus I know the owner... he's a good guy and I'm comfortable dealing with him.

the last year of the C5 Z06 is my favorite car of all time (that i've owned).

i'm really happy for you!

equ
08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Congrats!

bren
08-20-2008, 09:18 AM
I hate you, and I'm incredibly jeal0s....but I'm glad that car sold before I did something rash myself.

Please don't ever let me drive it.

bren
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
It's cheap enough that he doesn't have to waffle. :lol:
It's cheap enough that he could keep the ZHP. :eek:

clyde
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
The really cool thing is that there will be a 9% increase in red running Team WTF?! Corvettes!

:eeps:

clyde
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
It's cheap enough that he could keep the ZHP. :eek:
Of course, he could keep the ZHP and try out the Boxster for a year to see what he really thinks about living with it. Worst case, he sells after a year and takes a very, very small depreciation hit (downright miniscule compared to the others he's thinking about)

FC
08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Of course, he could keep the ZHP and try out the Boxster for a year to see what he really thinks about living with it. Worst case, he sells after a year and takes a very, very small depreciation hit (downright miniscule compared to the others he's thinking about)

I could do that too. The timing would be better if JV were selling it in just a few more months. As it is, I would have to sell the 330i to pay for the 986S. The whole house-remodling-being-paid-for-with-short-term-loans thing. When all is said and done, extras, upgrades, and opportunity jobs will have cost somewhere between what my ZHP is worth and what John's 986S is worth.

John V
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I hate you, and I'm incredibly jeal0s....but I'm glad that car sold before I did something rash myself.

Be jell0s when I actually have it in my posession. A lot can happen between now and October. :ack:

Please don't ever let me drive it.

We'll have to do an AI free for all with you, Alex, Clyde and I driving it in various classes.

equ
08-20-2008, 10:24 AM

This is good advice. The 986S will be like a transaction cost as it has pretty much stopped depreciating. The 987S has some way to fall in the coming year. Actually the zhp as well... It's going to slow down in its depreciation now that it has hit the teens. But who am I to give rational advice? :eeps:

FC
08-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Sure this all makes perfect sense... except for my wife's Mini.

rumatt
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
:eek:

John V
08-20-2008, 11:18 AM
This is good advice. The 986S will be like a transaction cost as it has pretty much stopped depreciating. The 987S has some way to fall in the coming year. Actually the zhp as well... It's going to slow down in its depreciation now that it has hit the teens. But who am I to give rational advice? :eeps:

There are a decent amount of 986 S's on the market right now... and as with most cars, lots of them look to be junk. For the decent early cars with no upgrades (i.e. plastic window top, no litronics, no upgraded taillights, etc) $19-20k seems to be the price for a reasonably low mileage example. That's cheap for what you get IMO.

clyde
08-20-2008, 12:12 PM
First time I'm saying it out loud, but the thought of me buying John's Boxster has popped into my head more than once recently. It's not going to happen, but if autocrossing wasn't part of the picture, I'd probably already own it (or at least have an agreement in place). Everytime I get in the car, I can't believe that it's eight years old. It's super well maintained, the paint and interior are in great shape. The mileage is relatively low. Etc. I still stand by the Miata/value/fun stuff I said recently, but letting the irrational factors in, this specific car offers a hell of a lot for what it would go for on the open market.

rautox
08-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Congrats, John. Color me Jellos, too.

John V
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
First time I'm saying it out loud, but the thought of me buying John's Boxster has popped into my head more than once recently. It's not going to happen, but if autocrossing wasn't part of the picture, I'd probably already own it (or at least have an agreement in place). Everytime I get in the car, I can't believe that it's eight years old. It's super well maintained, the paint and interior are in great shape. The mileage is relatively low. Etc. I still stand by the Miata/value/fun stuff I said recently, but letting the irrational factors in, this specific car offers a hell of a lot for what it would go for on the open market.

Thanks man :)

I am a bit neurotic (though not to rwg levels :mad2:) about my cars which Clyde has dutifully put up with for the past couple years.

If autocrossing weren't part of the picture, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be selling the car. It is the first car I've ever owned that I've loved more as time passed.

http://photos.teamwtf.org/photos/321700884_J3tav-L.jpg

FC
08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
So are you getting a red helmet now? :D

clyde
08-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I am a bit neurotic (though not to rwg levels :mad2:) about my cars which Clyde has dutifully put up with for the past couple years.

I'd say "enjoyed" or "benefited from" long before I'd characterize it as "put up with."

A big difference from your cringing at the spring 2005 edition pollen from Atlanta that was still in the RX-8 at Nats in 2006. :D

With the exception of running it down to the Shell station by FedEx a couple times, I still haven't really driven the car on the street. I've nearly reached my goal on that.

John V
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I remember running with one in Phoenix International Raceway.

Nice exhuast note.

Congrats!

This one has a Borla Stinger exhaust on it. It's definitely a good sounding car.

lupinsea
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Very nice! Way to go.

I think you should drive it up to Seattle just to make sure the rain tires are working properly. :D

Plaz
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Congrat-V8-tions!

Rob
08-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Congrats John! I hope you guys have a blast with it. It should be a lot of fun.

I will have you know I now wash my car about once every three weeks and I don't speed shine it every morning anymore, either.

(B/c I bought a cover and it gets covered at the office and covered in the garage and covered in the driveway when I need the garage for other uses - best $300 spent ever as it has already saved me like 300 million hours of car cleaning work)

Theo
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I will have you know I now wash my car about once every three weeks and I don't speed shine it every morning anymore, either.

EVERY MORING!! Good lord you win the prize.

And yes congrats John. Sweet car.

Biggins
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Congrats JV; I can't wait to see it being flung around FedEx.

Sharp11
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks. Yes, it's a 2004 Z06.

The guy who sets up my guitars bought one of these - he loves it to death.

Enjoy.

Ed

operknockity
08-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Congrats on the new car. Drive it well!

John V
08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Everyone who drives one seems to love them to death.

I've driven a couple of them under less than ideal circumstances and have come away very surprised at how good they were.

Really, this is something completely different for me. Sometimes that's good.

Plaz
08-20-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1940609/2/istockphoto_1940609-peel-out-marks.jpg

lemming
08-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Everyone who drives one seems to love them to death.

I've driven a couple of them under less than ideal circumstances and have come away very surprised at how good they were.

Really, this is something completely different for me. Sometimes that's good.

made me hate the c6z06 --not hard to do. but still.

i love the c5z06. i'm gonna buy one again.

damn you, JV.

JST
08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Speaking of the C6, if someone is thinking about one of those (either Z51 or Z06), now would be a good time to buy:

http://jalopnik.com/5039883/gm-employee-pricing-slashes-sticker-of-505-hp-2008-corvette-z06-by-10000

Personally, I'm just pissed that the GXP isn't out yet, or I'd be down at the Pontiac dealer right now.

BahnBaum
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
We'll have to do an AI free for all with you, Alex, Clyde and I driving it in various classes.

http://www.doggonesafe.com/images/card%20009-6.jpg

Congrats on an awesome purchase John. I wonder if this means that about 8 AS drivers will eventually follow you two over to SS?

Alex

lemming
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
10K under sticker price has been around for 6 months now.

I am more interested in what this will do to the used Z06 market.

Like maybe push it down to 40K?:lol:

on paper, this sounds really dumb, but i'd still rather have the c5z06 from a driver-tactile input point of view.

and once again, i'd easily take the LS3 Z51 over the Z06 in the c6 flavor, too.

FC
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
How much is an LS3 Z51 at employee cost?

JST
08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
How much is an LS3 Z51 at employee cost?

It's a $6100 discount on the base coupe, so $40,876 instead of $46,950. Z51 is $1700, and the performance exhaust is another $1100. I assume those option prices get discounted, too, but I don't know how much.

ZBB
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
It's a $6100 discount on the base coupe, so $40,876 instead of $46,950. Z51 is $1700, and the performance exhaust is another $1100. I assume those option prices get discounted, too, but I don't know how much.

FWIW, go to gmsupplierdiscount.com and choose "Build your own" from the "Vehicle Shopping" menu (top right).

It will display a "Supplier" price with a * next to it -- the footnote says that the price is the family plan price -- which is employee pricing.

It shows the final price, including options. You can also put in your zip code to see if any other rebates apply. I've been toying with a CTS... based on my config, the employee price is ~5k lower than MSRP, ~1k lower than Supplier price. They have another $2k rebate in effect, so $7k off of MSRP and $3k off of Supplier price.

Might just be enough to pull the trigger this weekend...

TD
08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I just noticed this afternoon how cheap the CTS is under this pricing. Wow.

ZBB
08-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I just noticed this afternoon how cheap the CTS is under this pricing. Wow.

Even pretty much "fully loaded" with all the toys and performance package it comes in around $41k... If you could find one with stick (impossible...), it would be right about $40k...

JST
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Even pretty much "fully loaded" with all the toys and performance package it comes in around $41k... If you could find one with stick (impossible...), it would be right about $40k...

Yeah, my first move was to see if someone at a local dealer had screwed up and ordered one with a stick. No luck.

lemming
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
how competitive is the c6 z51 in its appropriate stock class compared to the c5 z06?

do they compete in the same class?

if so, which car has the practical (real results, not on paper) edge?

clyde
08-22-2008, 01:58 AM
All C5s and C6s are in the same class.

No one has really made a substantive effort with a C6 (Z51 or Z06) yet to know. A few people have or are making some kind of effort, but there's just not enough data yet to form an opinion that's based on real world events.

John V
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
C5 Z06 looks better on paper. Wider wheels make more of a difference in my opinion than another 30hp/30ft-lbs that you probably can't use much of anyway.

As for the GM employee discount, that has always been available on Corvettes. Rick Conti in Wisconsin basically sells all his Corvettes at that price. Ken mentioned he bought his '08 Z51 for $42,500 earlier this year, but that was before the price increase.

lemming
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
C5 Z06 looks better on paper. Wider wheels make more of a difference in my opinion than another 30hp/30ft-lbs that you probably can't use much of anyway.

As for the GM employee discount, that has always been available on Corvettes. Rick Conti in Wisconsin basically sells all his Corvettes at that price. Ken mentioned he bought his '08 Z51 for $42,500 earlier this year, but that was before the price increase.

i've not had a great chance to drive the LS3 --but i really for whatever reason prefer the LS6 motor to the LS2 in a big way. i 'know' the LS2 has more power under the curve but the LS6 seems like it snorts and cracks and pops more.

:dunno:

what is legal to do in SS to prepare the car for competition? is that an unlimited class where you can do almost anything to tune the car?

John V
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Shocks, front sway bar, cat-back, alignment, sticky tires.

lemming
08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Shocks, front sway bar, cat-back, alignment, sticky tires.

that seems like a lot compared to what Clyde was able to do in A_stock with the Rx8 or what he'd like to do with a Camaro?

out of curiosity, could someone migrate the entire car to coilovers if they wanted to? just asking because some people still say that works better on the C5/C6 even than the optimized Z51 or Z06 trim.

what sort of diameter is the front sway bar (std versus modified)?

lemming
08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
that seems like a lot compared to what Clyde was able to do in A_stock with the Rx8 or what he'd like to do with a Camaro?

out of curiosity, could someone migrate the entire car to coilovers if they wanted to? just asking because some people still say that works better on the C5/C6 even than the optimized Z51 or Z06 trim.

what sort of diameter is the front sway bar (std versus modified)?

one more question: would it be worth getting the LS6 motor taken apart and put back together again so it is at max power in OEM form? what do they call that? blueprinting or something?

John V
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
SS is Super stock and it follows the same ruleset as AS (where the Boxster is) and BS (which is where the RX-8 was). Blueprinting is not legal in stock class. Coilovers not legal.

lemming
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
All of the "stock" classes have the same allowances. Blueprinting isn't legal in stock.

why isn't engine blueprinting legal?

aren't you using essentially the same OEM parts but just putting them back together with better tolerances?

John V
08-25-2008, 09:47 AM
why isn't engine blueprinting legal?

aren't you using essentially the same OEM parts but just putting them back together with better tolerances?

It's not in the spirit of the class.

clyde
08-25-2008, 09:56 AM

It's the same stuff we did with the RX-8 and pretty much anyone that's serious about competition will do on any Stock class car with limited exceptions such as odd exhausts that lose power when uncapped aft of the cat, OE parts that don't need improving, cost-prohibitive improvements that don't provide much, if any improvement (notably, shocks on a handful of cars such as the Boxster).

FWIW, SCCA Solo has six sets of classes for cars based on preperation levels and each prep level has a number of classes within it:

Stock: 9 classes
Street Touring: 4 classes
Street Prepared: 6 classes
Street Modified: 2 classes
Prepared: 5 classes
Modified: 6 classes

In Stock (which is where John and I have been playing) and Street Prepared classes, the rules, "allowances," and limitations apply to all classes equally. The other prep levels have slight variations in some places between the classes at that level (eg, minimum weights are different between A Modified and F Modified and Street Touring S has a different tire width restriction than Street Touring U).

There are classes where you may do that. Stock is not one of them. ;)

ff
08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
It's not in the spirit of the class.

Is there any way that the officials would know that an engine is blueprinted? Or do they operate on the honor system?

John V
08-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Is there any way that the officials would know that an engine is blueprinted? Or do they operate on the honor system?

I've never heard of an engine teardown in Stock. People may be doing it. I don't really give it much thought. If someone wants to go to that effort for five more horsepower, more power to them...

clyde
08-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Coilovers not legal.

For lemming's benefit, it's not that coilovers are not legal in Stock, it's the car could not be configured on an order sheet from Chevy with coilovers. In Stock classes, cars must be run with equipment configurations as could have been ordered from the factory. (As with all rules, some things get fuzzy in certain applications/intrepretations.)

clyde
08-25-2008, 10:25 AM

The sport is pretty much self-policed by the competitors through a protest-appeal system with a minimum of objective, blanket checks. For instance, classes with minimum weights see each car weighed immediately after competition as part of the "impound" process at National level events. Occasionaly at National level events, one or more classes may be required to go through a semi-invasive process as part of impound (a period of time immediately following competition where competitors may inspect other cars in their class). Usually in Stock class, it's something like removing both wheels on one side during impound so that everyone can get a better view of what's going on under the car, but it could be as significant as pulling a head.

ff
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
but it could be as significant as pulling a head.

I suppose like anything else, if you know what to look for, it's fairly obvious when someone has tinkered more than they were supposed to.

FC
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
...but it could be as significant as pulling a head.

Wow.

ff
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Wow.

You've never pulled your head before?

lemming
08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
i was just thinking that blueprinting is still in the spirit of the rules because what if you were, by chance, one of the engines down a little on power since the OE lot release is probably plus/minus 10% of SAE power?

it's not always a competitive advantage but you'd be ensuring that you're at least at the level of your competitors.

my sense is that GM powertrain might have some serious variations in power outputs and all i'd be trying to do is to lessen some of that variance. it's not like you're putting in a hotter cam or bigger throttle body, you're still rebuilding with the exact same parts but the engine equivalent of re-torque-ing every bolt, etc.

bren
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
i was just thinking...
Rebuilding an engine to OE spec is legal. Blueprinting is a much more involved process than simply replacing parts and torquing bolts. Engines aren't blueprinted at the factory, and thus you can't do it.

John V
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
As an aside, I just drove Ken's '08 Z51 to lunch and back.

Anyone interested in things other than competition should buy one. The thing is just absurd.

FC
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
As an aside, I just drove Ken's '08 Z51 to lunch and back.

Anyone interested in things other than competition should buy one. The thing is just absurd.

I tried test driving one and couldn't. The new GM discount is masking me rethink things.

John V
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I tried test driving one and couldn't. The new GM discount is masking me rethink things.

Don't think. Just buy.

I just Klassed your car and Lexoled all the leather (and there is a lot of it) yesterday afternoon. She's-a-looking nice for half the price of a Vette :D

Did I mention I have a set of wheels that work great with a set of snows on them for those emergency winter drives? :D

FC
08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't think. Just buy.

I just Klassed your car and Lexoled all the leather (and there is a lot of it) yesterday afternoon. She's-a-looking nice for half the price of a Vette :D

Did I mention I have a set of wheels that work great with a set of snows on them for those emergency winter drives? :D

Are you free Columbus Day weekend?

John V
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Are you free Columbus Day weekend?

Sure. We have a guest room available as well if that helps.

There's an autocross that Sunday, so if you wanted to, you could experience the car in its natural habitat at the hands of a talented Solo driver.

Or I could take you for a ride around the course, too. Either way. :D

FC
08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Sure. We have a guest room available as well if that helps.

There's an autocross that Sunday, so if you wanted to, you could experience the car in its natural habitat at the hands of a talented Solo driver.

Or I could take you for a ride around the course, too. Either way. :D

Sounds like fun - I haven't done or been to an autox in years. I mentioned elsewhere here, but my plan would be to go with my family to visit my best friend in Philly for the weekend. From there I would make a day trip to see your car and whatever 'mudgeon is available. I appreciate the room offer but hopefully I won't need it.

That's the tentative plan if it winds up working for everybody.

FC
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I do like SY. I'm sure aty can go dig this up in old fest thrads circa '02, but the 986S was for a long time my dream car.

The first PLAN (back in '00) was to sell the 190E and get myself a used MT A4 Avant as a daily driver. Then I'd save my pennies and eventually buy a used '00 986S.

clyde
08-25-2008, 03:29 PM
The first PLAN (back in '00) was to sell the 190E and get myself a used MT A4 Avant as a daily driver. Then I'd save my pennies and eventually buy a used '00 986S.

Just think how good it would make you feel to arrive at the detination of THE PLAN, even if you took a slightly different path to get there.

FC
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Just think how good it would make you feel to arrive at the detination of THE PLAN, even if you took a slightly different path to get there.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/sevenweblog/George_Peppard7.jpg

"I love it when a plan comes together"

lemming
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Rebuilding an engine to OE spec is legal. Blueprinting is a much more involved process than simply replacing parts and torquing bolts. Engines aren't blueprinted at the factory, and thus you can't do it.

okay. i see the difference.

i guess for me, if i were as good as the people involved, i'd dyno the car to see where it falls in the power range and if it was slightly low, it'd be worth it to assuage my neurosis to not blueprint it, but to take it apart and put it all back together again with better tolerances.

i don't think GM checks the tolerances of every engine. i know they dyno each engine in bowling green, but the question is what is acceptable to pass muster.

anyway. my sense is that this car is probably a rocket already --it's mainly out of curiosity that i ask these things.

i agree that the LS3 powered cars are amazing. i've not had the chance to push one, but it's a "funner" LS2. :dunno:

the LS6 is still my favorite, though. more visceral.

clyde
08-25-2008, 06:01 PM
i guess for me, if i were as good as the people involved, i'd dyno the car to see where it falls in the power range and if it was slightly low, it'd be worth it to assuage my neurosis to not blueprint it, but to take it apart and put it all back together again with better tolerances.

For most cars, IF I was going to make the effort of checking such things, I'd be checking the range of suspension movement and adjustibility since that matters a lot more than a couple HP or ft-lbs. In cars with 100hp, the power difference matters a little more, but I'd still be looking at the suspension long before wasting my time with the engine.

And when I finished with the suspension, I'd probably start driving. Production variation in engine power is so small that it's pretty much inconsequential in this sport.

Rob
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I was thinking earlier this morning that playing around for a few horsepower doesn't seem like it would take much time off the autocross track and it would be pretty expensive for the gain.

ff
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I was thinking earlier this morning that playing around for a few horsepower doesn't seem like it would take much time off the autocross track and it would be pretty expensive for the gain.

Probably true. It sure would be fun to tinker, though.

lemming
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Probably true. It sure would be fun to tinker, though.

i was thinking it's right up JV's alley because it's a simple engine and he's already good at that stuff.

if it was a net zero power gain, he still would have finally have a car where he can actually look at the engine (doh!) and know that the engine was given a good once-over.

the dumbest things (like bad pushrods) can ruin ohv v8s and it's such a pain in the ass for something pretty straightforward for even someone like me to check on.

rautox
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Probably true. It sure would be fun to tinker, though.There are plenty of classes for tinkerers.
SP's an unlikely set of allowances that makes for some really fun drives. I poo poo'd pony cars until I drove a good street prepared camaro. Light seen, rattles ignored, grin plastered.
SM's similar in tinker-friendliness, but with a larger checkbook. The rules makers have an issue with keeping the current top dogs on top. Otherwise, yee ha!
Prepared's great for the welder-addicted. Imagine Lup' addicted to cones and grip and noise. (Actually, I'd pay to just see the build thread... I'd pay more to be a co-driver).
Mod and F125 range from spec class, to fabrication-dependent class to platforms so wholly unreliable that, imo, they count as tinkerer classes.
Stock, imo, goes quickly from tinkerer to rules torturer to rules interpretation masochist far too quickly. It's the infield fly rule of automotive competition.
That said, JV's got an awesome ride in a great class where the interpretation noise falls FAR below the talent signal. Go, John (and Clyde)!

lupinsea
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/sevenweblog/George_Peppard7.jpg

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Does this mean you'll be looking for a cigar and a 1911 soon, too?

FC
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Althought I've never smoked a cigarette or a joint (or tried any drug recreationally ever for that matter), I have smoked a couple of cigars. As for the 1911, I like the 92FS better.

FC
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like you missed out on college?:ack::lol:

Nah, no regrets. I think I got enough 2nd hand pot from my roommate.:lol:

lemming
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
not like we did not already know this, but on the cover of C&D this month is this article called "the best cars (new or used) for 25k you can buy".

the C5Z06 is one of the headliner cars. there is the 964 911, the NSX, the supra, the E46 m3, the (stupid) SRT10 pickup, and the e55amg.

reading the specs on the article remind me how goddamn fast the C5z06 is in a straight line. they did raise the spectre of these weird issues that i was not aware of though: battery leaking can kill the ECU? transaxle failures? electric motors for the headlights?

the only obvious thing (to me) was the cost of tires.

John V
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Re-reading the thread title... ;)

lemming
08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
what kind of tires do you fellas plan on running in SS?

gummybear victoracers or hoosiers?

clyde
08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Gummy and victoracer were never words that went together.

The Hoosier A6 and Kumho Ecsta V710 are both pretty long in the tooth and a couple other companies are getting close. I would not be surprised to find a lot of consternation re: tire choices next spring.

If nothing changes, Hoosier.

Theo
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
not like we did not already know this, but on the cover of C&D this month is this article called "the best cars (new or used) for 25k you can buy".

the C5Z06 is one of the headliner cars. there is the 964 911, the NSX, the supra, the E46 m3, the (stupid) SRT10 pickup, and the e55amg.

reading the specs on the article remind me how goddamn fast the C5z06 is in a straight line. they did raise the spectre of these weird issues that i was not aware of though: battery leaking can kill the ECU? transaxle failures? electric motors for the headlights?

the only obvious thing (to me) was the cost of tires.

The E55 is the crazy one for me. Wasnt that car over 90K in 04?

lemming
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Gummy and victoracer were never words that went together.

The Hoosier A6 and Kumho Ecsta V710 are both pretty long in the tooth and a couple other companies are getting close. I would not be surprised to find a lot of consternation re: tire choices next spring.

If nothing changes, Hoosier.

on a car such as the c5, do you widen up the front tires to reduce the understeer induced by the staggered tire setup?

i was thinking you guys would run 275/315?

275/305?

bren
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
295/315