PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean textured E46 dash?

FC
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
My dash is pretty dusty and robably needs a good cleaning before I take pictures. Besides a moist rag, is there a recommended product out there to clean/condition it, etc? My car had been mostly garaged so there is no fade from what I can tell, bu tI dont; want to apply some crap like "Black Magic" without being sure it is safe or knowing there isn't anything better out there.

Plaz
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I only ever used a damp cloth.

I've heard people recommend 303 Aerospace protectant.

ff
08-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm not really sure that it would ever need to be conditioned. It's just plastic, no? I'm not a fan of the shiny "protectants" anyhow. Personally I prefer the dash to be clean, and in its natural state. Damp, lint-free cloth. That's it.

FC
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm not really sure that it would ever need to be conditioned. It's just plastic, no? I'm not a fan of the shiny "protectants" anyhow. Personally I prefer the dash to be clean, and in its natural state. Damp, lint-free cloth. That's it.

Yeah, that's what I've done. I just haven't kept up with the latest and greatest out there. I'm also very hesitant to use chemicals, which is why I've stuck to the damp cloth. Cool, thanks.

ff
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I just haven't kept up with the latest and greatest out there.

Me neither. Latest and greatest usually means high $$$, and no real-world benefit.

FC
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Me neither. Latest and greatest usually means high $$$, and no real-world benefit.

You are so jaded. :lol:

ff
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
You are so jaded. :lol:

:D

Rob
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Is it plastic or leather? I think I used to use leather conditioner about once a year, but that could have been some other trim piece. It will make it appear a bit more shiny for a little while, but nothing like that jet black junk.

BahnBaum
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I used Einszett Cockpit. Nice matte finish and smell.

Alex

Plaz
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Cockpit

http://www.geocities.com/stimpysvideotrading/bandb.jpg

Josh (PA)
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
My wife has done amazing things cleaning our interior with a "Magic Eraser". Come to think of it, that little product is up there with our dyson I haven't found anything it won't clean.

It got the kids scuff marks off the doors and back seats, ground in dirt off the leather, the hand dirt off of the back seat arm rests, everything.

Of course test it on a small surface first to be sure it won't hurt the specifc thing you're cleaning.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/images/products/duo/eraser_extra_power_product.jpg

lupinsea
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I still have no idea how the Magic Eraser works . . . it is magic.

We use it at home. The only thing I can think of is that the micro pores in the sponge-like material act sort of like your finger prints when you rub your finger back and forth over something to clean it up.

ZBB
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I still have no idea how the Magic Eraser works . . . it is magic.

We use it at home. The only thing I can think of is that the micro pores in the sponge-like material act sort of like your finger prints when you rub your finger back and forth over something to clean it up.

Its a mild abrasive... You have to be careful with it in some places. Walls for instance -- it removes just a bit of the existing surface and does a great job 99% of the time. I had one spot where it revealed the prior wall color once -- don't know if I scrubbed too hard, or if it was just a really thin layer...

Nick M3
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Am I the only one here who uses a damp towel?

FC
08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Am I the only one here who uses a damp towel?

That's what I always use and what I just used yesterday (hopefully for the last time). The car looks pretty good for a DD with 54.5K miles.

operknockity
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
A little Simple Green in water.

equ
08-19-2008, 02:09 AM
I never cleaned an e46 dash (beyond dusting and some questionable vinylex treatment). However, I once had to remove a *permanent* garmin base, and rubbing alcohol did the trick, with no marks to the dash texture.