07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
OK, spill it out.

ff
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
pics please

Theo
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
I've never owned a black car before. :eeps:

I have owned four. If you are anal about how your car looks get ready for some serious work.

YES PICS PLEASE!!

Sharp11
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I've never owned a black car before. :eeps:

Hah, congrats, you got it!!

Ed

FC
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Hah, congrats, you got it!!

Ed

Enough with the suspense. What is it?

Theo
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd you sell the e90?

Sharp11
07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Enough with the suspense. What is it?

Why, it's black of course.....

I'd rather equ tell you guys ..... he's got a pretty good explanation to go with it.

Let me add though, I did get a look at the outgoing E90 this past weekend, nice car......

Ed

Rob
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Nothing looks better then a black car. Nothing takes more care either, except maybe dark blue. :)

I recommend a cover. :)

Theo
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Nothing looks better then a black car. Nothing takes more care either, except maybe dark blue. :)

Ditto on all counts.

operknockity
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Well, nothing looks better than a well maintained black car. If you let it go, it looks like azz.

That's why all my cars have been light or medium metallic blues. Very easy to care for and you can let it go a for a while between details and it still looks pretty good.

TD
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I have owned three, will never go there again.

Saphire should be easier than Cosmos Black or Carbon Black though.

Post before Pix, FAIL.:ack::D

Congrats.
Right now we own the 5th and 6th black cars I've had.

I like black, especially on questionable designs.

TD
07-17-2008, 01:00 PM
How do you deal with swirl marks? Or do you only hand wash it yourself?
I run it through the full service carwash weekly and take them for a decent quality detailing once a year.

Although the E90 has never seen an ounce of wax.

Theo
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Bingo. Wax and clay twice a year and only use water to wash the car.

Nick M3
07-17-2008, 01:45 PM
A PC makes a huge difference. I did my Dad's SL55 last weekend as a (belated) birthday present and it looks really good now.

Theo
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
A PC makes a huge difference. I did my Dad's SL55 last weekend as a (belated) birthday present and it looks really good now.

It saves so much arm power to. Best thing I bought like 6y ago.

Rob
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Keeping them pristine is easy. Nobody washes it but me and I at least know how to add marks in mostly one direction. Polish once a year on my own, have it detailed once a year by somebody else. Speed shine every day (actually, not anymore since I got a cover).

The cover is fabulous. At least here where it never rains, I can go as much as three weeks without feeling like I HAVE TO WASH IT RIGHT NOW. The brake dust always gets to me eventually. Hmm. Now that I am biking in more then driving, maybe I can make it to a month between washings. Since it takes several hours, it's good if I can keep it clean longer in between.

I used to say "never again" to owning a black car (and, ironically, thought the monaco blue color was a compromise - it's not), but the truth of the matter is almost all cars look much better in dark paint then light paint and I seem to enjoy taking care of them.

So . . . if you are like me, equ, you will LOVE having a black car.

Theo
07-17-2008, 02:25 PM
but the truth of the matter is almost all cars look much better in dark paint then light paint and I seem to enjoy taking care of them.

Ditto - Interlagos was one of the lightest colored cars I have had since 1986.

All my cars since then have been black, dark green or dark blue. A pain but look great when clean.

Enough about that. WHAT DID YOU GET!!

Nick M3
07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
It saves so much arm power to. Best thing I bought like 6y ago.
Especially after four years of automatic washes. :eek:

JST
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Back to the subject at hand. I am going to go with 135, given how equ has raved about it.

SCA
07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I am not enjoying the exterior upkeep of my 2nd black vehicle. I knew better from the first one. Oh well...

FC
07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Back to the subject at hand. I am going to go with 135, given how equ has raved about it.

:+1

zach
07-17-2008, 03:04 PM

I'm guessing another e90.

Theo
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Ahhh good call.

Rob
07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Since equ sort of went on the "if you don't love this car after driving it, you are stupid" rant for awhile, I suspect you guys are right.

Note that I make no judgments about the message - I haven't driven one yet, so I don't have an opinion. :)

Plaz
07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.pinkdriving.co.uk/toyota-yaris-ts-01.jpg

:dunno: ;)

Sharp11
07-17-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.pinkdriving.co.uk/toyota-yaris-ts-01.jpg

:dunno: ;)

Actually, that's the car equ's girlfriend was cooing over this weekend. :lol:

Equ wasn't amused.

Ed

armaq
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
It's replacing the xi, so a 135 doesn't make a lot of sense since he still has the Cayman S. Has to be a sedan or wagon.

Plaz
07-17-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.autospies.com/images/users/palbay/X6%20at%20Home%202%20002%20Post.jpg

:dunno:

FC
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh no.

Please no.

Theo
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.autospies.com/images/users/palbay/X6%20at%20Home%202%20002%20Post.jpg

:dunno:

Bavarian Aztek?

Plaz
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Bavarian Aztek?

:lol:

equ
07-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Yep, I just gave up on the awd. We'll see if I pay for it in the cold, so far so good (90F).

Black sapphire/terra/walnut, prem/sport/cold/sat, 6 speed.

It's a very late 06, so hopefully that will mean something. Closest I could get to a "proper" bmw while staying modern (rwd, 6 cylinder, manual, sports suspension). I also got to meet the previous careful-seeming, semi-enthusiast owner, and that's rare for a cpo car.

After several test drives (though probably not back to back), I actually prefer the 335i to the 135i, I think the immature entertainment of the 1er would get old. It's cool and fun but my 2-yr old cayman is in a different class altogether in feel. As I seem to be keeping the croc, I feel that the n54 is too much grunt for my daily. I also like shifting and winding it out as well as the smoothness of the n52.

So far, I've only driven it 15 miles. Clutch is a bit less clunky than xi, then there's that steering/weight/front suspension thing. Definitely better car if you don't need awd.

Only minus so far.. The heavy wheels. My xi was as fast in a straight line as it had 44-45lbs at each corner with 17's. Now I'm up to 55-60, and it shows. Must get rid of the RFT's as well though I like the looks of the heavy 162's.

Theo
07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Yep, I just gave up on the awd. We'll see if I pay for it in the cold, so far so good (90F).

It's a very late 06, so hopefully that will mean something. Closest I could get to a "proper" bmw while staying modern (rwd, 6 cylinder, manual, sports suspension). I also got to meet the previous careful-seeming, semi-enthusiast owner, and that's rare for a cpo car.

After several test drives (though probably not back to back), I actually prefer the 335i to the 135i, I think the immature entertainment of the 1er would get old. It's cool and fun but my 2-yr old cayman is in a different class altogether in feel. As I seem to be keeping the croc, I feel that the n54 is too much grunt for my daily. I also like shifting and winding it out as well as the smoothness of the n52.

So far, I've only driven it 15 miles. Clutch is a bit less clunky than xi, then there's that steering/weight/front suspension thing. Definitely better car if you don't need awd.

Only minus so far.. The heavy wheels. My xi was as fast in a straight line as it had 44-45lbs at each corner with 17's. Now I'm up to 55-60, and it shows. Must get rid of the RFT's as well though I like the looks of the heavy 162's.

Great color combo. That pic of terra looks closer to the saddle you can get in the coupe. Maybe its just the lighting but terra usually looks a lot lighter to me. Nice car.

Rob
07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
If you plan on taking care of your car yourself, you MUST keep those wheels. They are the best ever for cleaning - easy to clean all the way through as well. Mine are still shiny on the inside! I am hoping the transition to non-run flats will make a difference in a lot of ways, but I am too cheap to replace the tires the car came with before they are spent.

Congrats! Hope you love it for as long as you want to keep it.

armaq
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
It's the exact same color combo as TD's, isnt it?

Congrats! How much is something like this going for these days?

Theo
07-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Is it time to change the board name back to E90335.com yet?:dunno::lol:

We should merge with E90Post.com

equ
07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Is it time to change the board name back to E90335.com yet?:dunno::lol:

Look at the first pic. I'm a 330 stalwart. Surprisingly or perhaps sadly (:?), I actually prefer driving the 330 to the 335. Or perhaps I'm so used to them that I cannot drive anything else. If I stray from the 3er, sport, rwd formula (as I did with the 528, the s4 and now the xi), I end up going back.

operknockity
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice! Happy driving :cool:

TD
07-17-2008, 06:27 PM

Armaq is correct. That is EXACTLY the same car as mine. Black sapphire/terra/walnut. '06 330i 6-spd w/SP, PP, heated seats, and sat rad prep.

I'm up to ~32K miles on mine and I've got about 8 months left with it.

EDIT- I found a difference. I never swapped out the shift knob for walnut. Mine is still the fake aluminum.

IndyMike
07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
PROPS, equ-atorman!

I'm hyp to what you mean about the 135. My ardor for it in its current guise has dramatically sagged as well. $ for $ I still think it's the most enthusiast oriented vehicle that BMW makes, but there's still too many exasperating compromises about it (e.g. still too heavy, stupid infernal RFT's, and questionable appearance).

Still have my hopes up for a lighter tii package with proper tires and 'tasteful' aero package. Spare that I guess it's wait until the new 1er is revealed in 2010.

But for some reason my first thought was "He went back to the ZHP!" :stickpoke:

:D

IndyMike
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
EDIT- I found a difference. I never swapped out the shift knob for walnut. Mine is still the fake aluminum.
Another is most likely equ's BS paint has probably seen at least an ounce of wax. :stickpoke:

:D

Plaz
07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Congrats! :thumbup:

rumatt
07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Nice!

wdc330i
07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Great choice!

Sharp11
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Congrats equ, perhaps you'll drive it up to CT.

The 135i ragtop equ and I saw at Lime rock, in Black Sapphire over terra, was pretty nice....

Ed

equ
07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Armaq is correct. That is EXACTLY the same car as mine. Black sapphire/terra/walnut. '06 330i 6-spd w/SP, PP, heated seats, and sat rad prep.

I'm up to ~32K miles on mine and I've got about 8 months left with it.

Cool. I have folding seats as well (was a requirement for me). The previous owner (a long time bmw salesman who had a zhp before and has a M coupe now) swapped out the knob. It is exactly as uncomfortable as the stock knob but it looks better. I thought I'd give it a little time before I put on my zhp knob that I had on the xi.

PROPS, equ-atorman!

I'm hyp to what you mean about the 135. My ardor for it in its current guise has dramatically sagged as well. $ for $ I still think it's the most enthusiast oriented vehicle that BMW makes, but there's still too many exasperating compromises about it (e.g. still too heavy, stupid infernal RFT's, and questionable appearance).

Still have my hopes up for a lighter tii package with proper tires and 'tasteful' aero package. Spare that I guess it's wait until the new 1er is revealed in 2010.

The problem is the highish weight and the short wheelbase. It's still a very good, entertaining compromise, but I feel like the 3er just "sits" better and is great on highways.

Congrats equ, perhaps you'll drive it up to CT.

The 135i ragtop equ and I saw at Lime rock, in Black Sapphire over terra, was pretty nice....

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I probably will.

Gf and I went out for Korean bbq to celebrate. The spot is 8 miles away from us along the Hudson, but we took the long way (25 miles :D). She drove there, and she was very impressed with the improved feel over the xi.

JST
07-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Cool. I have folding seats as well (was a requirement for me). The previous owner (a long time bmw salesman who had a zhp before and has a M coupe now) swapped out the knob. It is exactly as uncomfortable as the stock knob but it looks better. I thought I'd give it a little time before I put on my zhp knob that I had on the xi.

The problem is the highish weight and the short wheelbase. It's still a very good, entertaining compromise, but I feel like the 3er just "sits" better and is great on highways.

Thanks, Ed. I probably will.

Gf and I went out for Korean bbq to celebrate. The spot is 8 miles away from us along the Hudson, but we took the long way (25 miles :D). She drove there, and she was very impressed with the improved feel over the xi.

So, what's your winter plan?

equ
07-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Huh... ahem... Snow tires? Rent some crapola suv for the deepest storms? :dunno:

In any case, the bmw awd is not quite there yet. Subies and audis have other shortcomings, but the bmw 3er front end is ruined by x-drive.

SCA
07-18-2008, 02:08 AM
Congrats! Hopefully you will have better luck this time around.

JST
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Huh... ahem... Snow tires? Rent some crapola suv for the deepest storms? :dunno:

In any case, the bmw awd is not quite there yet. Subies and audis have other shortcomings, but the bmw 3er front end is ruined by x-drive.

I've been happy with the Dunlop M3 snow tires I used last year. They're better in many ways in the dry than the Bridgestone RFTs.

equ
07-18-2008, 10:01 AM
The winters of 04 & 05, I had dunlop m3's on my zhp coupe, the winter of 06, I got dunlop 3d's on the 528i. They felt better on snow but mushier on the ground exactly opposite to advertisement, but perhaps that's the car and not the tire. If I had to go back, I'll get the m3's again. However, the winters of 05 & 06, we also had that cool impreza. Here's a very badly shot video of it (I'm at the wheel, my gf's sister at the camera, her first vid ever):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9X8YDO3xjuM

As bad as those tires on that car were (worn potenza 92's), with those nice diff's we could go through nearly a foot. Not sure if a rwd + snows can handle it. I did go through the winter of 04 with no subie. Carried a shovel and a couple of 50lb of sand tubes in the back of an imola zhp coupe.

We also have hankook icebears on the Civic Si. Even with fwd, that car is crap in the snow. Last winter we had the xi but it turned out to be unnecessary. So we'll see, perhaps shovel a bit and it'll be ok.

I really don't regret the decision though. Less apparent on the hwy, other than the zsp superior lane change, but in town the i is so much less cumbersome, it shifts better as well.