PDA

View Full Version : clubman...how are they selling?

clyde
05-25-2008, 12:46 AM
And what are they going for? :eeps:

With more frequent failures on the wagon, Mrs. Clyde is thinking about other things...

Sharp11
05-25-2008, 12:57 AM

With more frequent failures on the wagon, Mrs. Clyde is thinking about other things...

I don't know what they sell for, but I got behind one on the ride up to Lime Rock a couple of weeks ago.

From behind, it's small, just like a standard Mini, but you see those double doors and you know what it is right off.

It was fast, too - I decided to keep up so I could get a look at it from the side on the corners - we hit ridiculous speeds on one stretch - I had my top down and began imagining something decapitating me, like a deer or a bird, or a kid throwing a frisbee, so I slowed and let him go.

It was nice, spent about 20 minutes through the countryside tailing this thing.

Ed

rumatt
05-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Replace the wife.

No wait, a clubman is WAY cheaper.

SARAFIL
05-25-2008, 12:23 PM

we're sold out through end of July for the S and through end of August for the regular, if that is any indication.

translation: selling VERY well.

lemming
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
we're sold out through end of July for the S and through end of August for the regular, if that is any indication.

translation: selling VERY well.

and but for some internet idiot who brags that he got under sticker, it's a tough proposition to get one at sticker, as far as i can tell.

:lol:

bren
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
There are a bunch of them on the lot at the nearby dealer, and I haven't seen one on the road yet (not even a test drive.) :dunno:

JST
05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
There are a bunch of them on the lot at the nearby dealer, and I haven't seen one on the road yet (not even a test drive.) :dunno:

Here in MINI Central, VA (aka Alexandria), I've seen a few--three or four?

TD
05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
It would be novel if a major metropolitan area like DC had a Mini dealer within an hour's drive.

If it did, I'd probably already have one. As it is, I'm having trouble committing half a day just to go test drive one.

JST
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
It would be novel if a major metropolitan area like DC had a Mini dealer within an hour's drive.

If it did, I'd probably already have one. As it is, I'm having trouble committing half a day just to go test drive one.

Yeah, it's a huge PITA, though (knock wood) mine hasn't had to go back since we picked it up in October, and Sterling gives loaners

TD
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it's a huge PITA, though (knock wood) mine hasn't had to go back since we picked it up in October, and Sterling gives loaners
Didn't BMW of Arlington originally have a Mini dealership?

I can't understand why there isn't one in some close-in urban location in DC to sell to all of the city-dwelling potential Mini buyers. I mean, Sterling is the land of the monster SUV not the tiny city car. It makes no sense, IMO.

JST
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Didn't BMW of Arlington originally have a Mini dealership?

I can't understand why there isn't one in some close-in urban location in DC to sell to all of the city-dwelling potential Mini buyers. I mean, Sterling is the land of the monster SUV not the tiny city car. It makes no sense, IMO.

They did, yeah. Don't know why they got rid of it; the only thing I can think is that place is ridiculously cheap when it comes to cap ex, and maybe they didn't want to build a separate store for the Mini brand.

If I were Roger Penske, I'd put one in the HBL complex.

TD
05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Just playing with Google maps...

The three closest Mini dealers are: Mini of Sterling, Mini of Annapolis and Mini of Towson.

Distances from my house:
Mini of Sterling - 31.2 mi
Mini of Annapolis - 44.8 mi
Mini of Towson - 59.6 mi

However, Towson is probably the shortest driving time.

ZBB
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM

The three closest Mini dealers are: Mini of Sterling, Mini of Annapolis and Mini of Towson.

Distances from my house:
Mini of Towson - 59.6 mi

Just be happy you have 3 within driving distance.

Out here, we have one dealership for the entire STATE. Its only about 10 miles from my house. Since there's also a Smart dealership in the same complex, Mr. Penske has a bit of a monopoly on cute small cars in AZ...

lupinsea
05-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Saw one on the street recently up in Lynwood, WA. Certainly NOT where I'd expect to see one.

dan
05-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Distances from my house:
Mini of Towson - 59.6 mi

86.5 miles when we bought our MINI

Plaz
05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
9.6 miles. :D

Rob
05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
About 6 miles for me. :)

equ
05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Ding, ding, ding.. 3 miles.

[Oops, except I haven't gotten one.... yet]

Plaz
05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Ding, ding, ding.. 3 miles.

[Oops, except I haven't gotten one.... yet]

That one's .9 miles from my office... does that count? :D

FC
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
The closest for me is about 20 miles, but it's in downtown Boston, which is a PITA.

equ
05-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Nope. I might be a midtown-er once again soon (more about THAT later) and I'm not saying 0.6 miles... (Wait, I still don't have one so you win)

lemming
05-28-2008, 09:07 PM
The closest for me is about 20 miles, but it's in downtown Boston, which is a PITA.

true, and this will sound ridiculous, but the one in RI is sooooooooooooo easy to get to compared to dealing with stupid allston/brighton and the Herb.

i hate the Herb dealership with a passion and it only got worse when i saw what a genuine standalone (i.e. not an afterthought tucked into the moldy attic) dealership is supposed to be.

Plaz
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
true, and this will sound ridiculous, but the one in RI is sooooooooooooo easy to get to compared to dealing with stupid allston/brighton and the Herb.

i hate the Herb dealership with a passion and it only got worse when i saw what a genuine standalone (i.e. not an afterthought tucked into the moldy attic) dealership is supposed to be.

Herb's right at that horrible intersection of Brighton Ave. and Comm. Ave., yes?

Sharp11
05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Herb's right at that horrible intersection of Brighton Ave. and Comm. Ave., yes?

Wow, I just used that new Google street views feature - I was able to zoom right down to street level and walk down from that intersection to two of my old apartments, one on Royce Rd at the corner of Harvard and Comm (I "walked" up to the door :yikes:), the other on Egremont way up in Brighton near BC.

Strange, everything looks almost exactly the same, except spruced up a bit, as if they finally lifted that layer of the 70's off everything.

Ed

FC
05-29-2008, 12:23 AM

No doubt. I'm right off I-95 just outside of Rte128 so it's a breeze to get to Providence.

Plaz
05-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Wow, I just used that new Google street views feature - I was able to zoom right down to street level and walk down from that intersection to two of my old apartments, one on Royce Rd at the corner of Harvard and Comm (I "walked" up to the door :yikes:), the other on Egremont way up in Brighton near BC.

Strange, everything looks almost exactly the same, except spruced up a bit, as if they finally lifted that layer of the 70's off everything.

Ed

I just did the same thing. They still look like crappy apartments. :lol:

I must've misremembered Herb's location. :dunno:

Funny, I was always able to find Herb back then. Now it seems I'm too old to find Herb, even when I want to. :eeps:

lemming
05-29-2008, 07:08 AM

Ed

:dunno:

that whole area these days is so intersprinkled with BC brats that i would lose sanity living around there. the garbage that is piled up on move in/move out days plus the general level of drunken vandalism --blech.

all of the buildings would look the same to you guys.

i'm going to Warwick when i can and Peabody in a pinch. if MINI USA executives really compared the Warwick site with the HC site, how would they find it even acceptable?

SARAFIL
05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
They did, yeah. Don't know why they got rid of it; the only thing I can think is that place is ridiculously cheap when it comes to cap ex, and maybe they didn't want to build a separate store for the Mini brand.

If I were Roger Penske, I'd put one in the HBL complex.

There is a MINI store in the works in the DC area... it should be opening next year from what I have been told. It has been in the planning stages for a while but for some reason has taken a long time to get everything approved.

For what it's worth, MINI's policy on new points is a) offer it to the nearest non-MINI-selling BMW dealer if they meet the requirements, b) offer it to the nearest MINI dealer if the closest non-MINI-selling BMW dealers do not work, c) open it up to a non MINI and non BMW dealer as a distant 3rd option.

I'd love for Roger to open a MINI store at HBL... and I'd transfer there in a heartbeat. However, it would be very unlikely, even though he has alot of pull with BMWNA (9 BMW stores and 4 MINI stores)... our closest BMW store to that area is in NJ.

SARAFIL
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM

There is a MINI showroom about 2 feet from my office and a MINI service center about 15 feet away... does that count? :eek: :lol:

JST
05-29-2008, 11:27 PM
There is a MINI store in the works in the DC area... it should be opening next year from what I have been told. It has been in the planning stages for a while but for some reason has taken a long time to get everything approved.

For what it's worth, MINI's policy on new points is a) offer it to the nearest non-MINI-selling BMW dealer if they meet the requirements, b) offer it to the nearest MINI dealer if the closest non-MINI-selling BMW dealers do not work, c) open it up to a non MINI and non BMW dealer as a distant 3rd option.

I'd love for Roger to open a MINI store at HBL... and I'd transfer there in a heartbeat. However, it would be very unlikely, even though he has alot of pull with BMWNA (9 BMW stores and 4 MINI stores)... our closest BMW store to that area is in NJ.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Oh, crap. It's not VOB, is it?

TD
05-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Cool, thanks for the info.

Oh, crap. It's not VOB, is it?
Hey, it'd be convenient for me...

It just occurred to me that there is nothing at that old Lincoln Mercury dealership two doors down from VOB (the building that housed the Porsche Audi dealership for a while - including the last time we jointly testdrove an S4). And VOB is currently using those lots to house excess inventory.

Hmmm...

JST
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM

It just occurred to me that there is nothing at that old Lincoln Mercury dealership two doors down from VOB (the building that housed the Porsche Audi dealership for a while - including the last time we jointly testdrove an S4). And VOB is currently using those lots to house excess inventory.

Hmmm...

Oy.

Though, Passport just moved into fancy new digs down the street from their old shop, too, so it could be going in there. There's also construction in Crystal City near BMW of Arlington's service facility.

FC
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Oy.

Though, Passport just moved into fancy new digs down the street from their old shop, too, so it could be going in there. There's also construction in Crystal City near BMW of Arlington's service facility.

I bought my car at Passport. The dealership didn't strike me as awesome. It was smallish, just like my local BMW dealership before they (just) finished building it's new facility (very impressive).

bren
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM

Hmmm...
Rumor has it that Towson is moving their Mini dealership to an old Licoln Mercury dealer just around the corner. Maybe other dealers are doing the same....

JST
05-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I bought my car at Passport. The dealership didn't strike me as awesome. It was smallish, just like my local BMW dealership before they (just) finished building it's new facility (very impressive).

I've bought three cars from them, one from VOB and one from Fairfax; of course, I've shopped around at all the other dealers in the area, too. Passport has always struck me as the best of the group; they tend to be a lot better on pricing, more forthright with the terms of the deal, and they are less inclined to try and slip in hidden, BS fees.

Their old dealership was small (though bigger than Arlington), but the pics I've seen of their new place suggests that it's a lot like the new VOB building (i.e., huge). I hope that doesn't translate to a new reluctance to offer good pricing.

FC
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
I've bought three cars from them, one from VOB and one from Fairfax; of course, I've shopped around at all the other dealers in the area, too. Passport has always struck me as the best of the group; they tend to be a lot better on pricing, more forthright with the terms of the deal, and they are less inclined to try and slip in hidden, BS fees.

Their old dealership was small (though bigger than Arlington), but the pics I've seen of their new place suggests that it's a lot like the new VOB building (i.e., huge). I hope that doesn't translate to a new reluctance to offer good pricing.

I liked them (Joern). Provided (as you say) that things haven't changed, I would not mind getting my next ED BMW through them again - since no local dealers would consider discount a cent beyond the ED discount.

wdc330i
05-30-2008, 11:41 AM

I wonder. They used to have a great, informative Web site--with discount pricing and thorough details about car options. No more....