PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling a bit, um....Equ

Sharp11
08-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't know what's happening to me, but now that convertible season is winding down, I'm getting the itch for something different.

There are a few late model 545i's, 530's and 535's available locally - low mileage, nice options and probably really comfy for long trips and the increasing number of drives I've been needing to take into NYC.

Oh....

Ed

JST
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know what's happening to me, but now that convertible season is winding down, I'm getting the itch for something different.

There are a few late model 545i's, 530's and 535's available locally - low mileage, nice options and probably really comfy for long trips and the increasing number of drives I've been needing to take into NYC.

Oh....

Ed

Have you looked into leasing a 335? If the lease rates are anything like what they were when I got mine, it's a good option.

wdc330i
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Oh....

Ed

Make sure you give us all the heads-up before you sell that convertible...

Sharp11
08-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Have you looked into leasing a 335? If the lease rates are anything like what they were when I got mine, it's a good option.

I'd probably just buy it outright, slightly used (a lease is good for someone like me who doesn't put miles on a car, but I'm psychologically hindered by the 'need' to own). I really like the 335i, but I have some concerns about the twin turbo's long-term reliability, but that's about my only concern.

I'm not interested in a SP equipped model for this car's "mission" (mostly comfortable cruising with no fear of cracked rims, a hard ride etc.) - plus the heavily bolstered seats bother my wife's back (what are ya gonna do, if we love our wives, these things matter).

The 335i is a tempting choice, I can't think of a better car in its class. I'd go with the sedan, too, even though I think the coupe is better looking. It's sized just right for a DD, it's comfy, looks ok, has some driving fun, a good ride, good utility, good for long trips...

In fact JST, you may have talked me into it....:0

Another alternative for me is to locate an older 5 or Merc, or E46 (though having had two is enough, I think) and budgeting for a third car - a two-seater of some sort. That would mean an older car (two actually) with some potential issues as well, so.....

A 335 it may be.....I'm just not sure when, the ZHP vert is an awful lot of fun to drive, but the compromises are there - my wife likes it for small drives, but no long trips, and it's awfully hard to see out of top up. She can't drive it (it's a stick) and I do worry about driving it over awful roads, well, you know the rest .....

Top down on a summer night nirvana vs the 42 to 44k I could get for her......hmmmmm :dunno:

Ed

wdc330i
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd probably just buy it outright, slightly used (a lease is good for someone like me who doesn't put miles on a car, but I'm psychologically hindered by the 'need' to own). I really like the 335i, but I have some concerns about the twin turbo's long-term reliability, but that's about my only concern.

I'm not interested in a SP equipped model for this car's "mission" (mostly comfortable cruising with no fear of cracked rims, a hard ride etc.) - plus the heavily bolstered seats bother my wife's back (what are ya gonna do, if we love our wives, these things matter).

The 335i is a tempting choice, I can't think of a better car in its class. I'd go with the sedan, too, even though I think the coupe is better looking. It's sized just right for a DD, it's comfy, looks ok, has some driving fun, a good ride, good utility, good for long trips...

In fact JST, you may have talked me into it....:0

Another alternative for me is to locate an older 5 or Merc, or E46 (though having had two is enough, I think) and budgeting for a third car - a two-seater of some sort. That would mean an older car (two actually) with some potential issues as well, so.....

A 335 it may be.....I'm just not sure when, the ZHP vert is an awful lot of fun to drive, but the compromises are there - my wife likes it for small drives, but no long trips, and it's awfully hard to see out of top up. She can't drive it (it's a stick) and I do worry about driving it over awful roads, well, you know the rest .....

Top down on a summer night nirvana vs the 42 to 44k I could get for her......hmmmmm :dunno:

Ed

Really just sounds like you should have a 335 convertible with step.

Sharp11
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Really just sounds like you should have a 335 convertible with step.

It would solve a couple of issues, namely the visibility thing, but I really dislike retractable metal roofs on larger cars (It's ok on two-seaters).

Also, two door cars are a problem for my wife who has a muscle tissue disorder - the heavy, long doors are difficult to open and close.

No, I think a convertible is a great 3rd car option, something I'd do again in a heartbeat and I really like two-seaters (though we did have a lot of fun carting friends around in the ZHP this summer) - the Z4 was perfect for spirited around town zips, ice cream runs and the occasional autocross (though I've completely lost interest in the latter).

I'd have to spend some time driving a 335 (I've driven the 330 and liked it, but that was some time ago) to feel how it drives.

Yeah, I'd put the ZHP up here first, but my guess is it's a bit on the pricey side.

Ed

equ
08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure the e60 rides that much better than the 3's. Actually I found the ride of the e90 zsp's to be very compliant, possibly better than your zhp 'vert (which is also pretty good).

JST
08-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure the e60 rides that much better than the 3's. Actually I found the ride of the e90 zsp's to be very compliant, possibly better than your zhp 'vert (which is also pretty good).

The thing that is annoying about the E90 is the run flat tires, which have zero compliance when it comes to sharp potholes. I've got a buddy in Manhattan that has had a lot of trouble with bubbles in his runflats on an E90 ZSP, as well. If I owned the car (or drove into Manhattan a lot) I'd probably go with some non-runflat tires and a space saver spare in the trunk.

Sharp11
08-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Surprisingly good, the ZHP is - non RF's make the difference I suspect - that, a lot of suspension compliance and a longer wheelbase. It's a remarkably good ride considering the tire sizes are identical to those on the Z4 I owned.

The Z4, on RF's, could be punishing under certain conditions, like when the temps fell - it was a strange vehicle that way, really compliant and pleasant on a warm day, top down, absolutely brutal on a chilly, dry day, top up.

Ed

equ
08-27-2007, 04:20 PM
It's really not about the runflats. I took a drive in an z4 3.0si coupe at latest cancer drive, I doubt it was zsp, but the ride/tramlining sucked big time compared to the cayman.

Rob
08-27-2007, 05:14 PM
It might not be "all" about the runflats, but they certainly deteriorate ride quality in a substantial way. If you haven't driven a car with them and replaced them with real tires, I doubt you will realize how much they affect the ride.

Still, I wouldn't make car choices based on whether they have them. I would just be ready to get stranded.