PDA

View Full Version : Weird phenomenon

zach
10-14-2003, 08:40 PM
On the side of my front bumper, there is now a spiderweb-shaped series of markings in white. This is very difficult to describe, but my camera is not with me so I can't take pics. It kind of looks like cracks in the clearcoat :scratch:

I'll take a pic tomorrow I guess.

Nick M3
10-14-2003, 08:58 PM
It's always possible it needs a repaint...

zach
10-14-2003, 09:19 PM
dunno if this part was painted recently....

dredmo
10-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear that, just FYI, if you have taken through a car wash recently, you may try getting the area warm and buffing it.

I've carwash "wax" do some strange stuff to my cars.

zach
10-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, just FYI, if you have taken through a car wash recently, you may try getting the area warm and buffing it.

I've carwash "wax" do some strange stuff to my cars.

Nope, never been to the carwash in this one. I'll take a pic tomorrow morning and show you guys. I'll probably just end up leaving it...my car turns 6 next month. :)

TD
10-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Mine turned 6 last month.

zach
10-14-2003, 09:53 PM

It's amazing how current the car still looks. Most non-BMW people I run into refuse to believe it is a 1998. The interior rattles, the ride is rough, and the plastics are a bit cheap, but I love the car more each day.

Holden, I'll be doing rear Konis in the next few weeks :D

TD
10-14-2003, 09:54 PM

It's amazing how current the car still looks. Most non-BMW people I run into refuse to believe it is a 1998. The interior rattles, the ride is rough, and the plastics are a bit cheap, but I love the car more each day.

Holden, I'll be doing rear Konis in the next few weeks :D

Mine doesn't rattle much and the ride is SUPPOSED to be rough. Although I'm just a touch less enamoured with it than I was at my peak.

zach
10-14-2003, 09:57 PM
How do you keep it rattle-free? That center console is a POS. I have a particularly annoying one coming from under the passenger seat (I think) too.

This car just needs to satisfy me until I get out of grad school. Then, I have a feeling (assuming I'm with the same female), that we'll be shopping for a Porsche.

SARAFIL
10-16-2003, 10:02 PM
This car just needs to satisfy me until I get out of grad school. Then, I have a feeling (assuming I'm with the same female), that we'll be shopping for a Porsche.

My boss jokingly commented the other day that he and one of the other managers had been talking about me, and that the GM would retire in a few years and let me take over his job. I'd love the money and having a new BMW every few months for free (and no insurance bills to pay), but I don't know if that's something I'd want to do after I'm done with school. :?: Then again, when I think of all the nice cars I could drive for FREE, it does seem tempting. :wink:

To go back to what you were saying, would you guys get two Porsches? (maybe a matching set)

clyde
10-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Although I'm just a touch less enamoured with it than I was at my peak.

:shock:

Someone please stop the world...I'd like to exit before the apocalypse.

SteveM
10-17-2003, 02:34 PM
On the side of my front bumper, there is now a spiderweb-shaped series of markings in white. This is very difficult to describe, but my camera is not with me so I can't take pics. It kind of looks like cracks in the clearcoat :scratch:

If it's in the bumper cover and it's been repainted, it's probably cracks. Bumper covers and other flexible items are supposed to have a flex agent added to the paint when painting these. It sounds like it could have been left out in your case.

zach
10-17-2003, 02:35 PM

If it's in the bumper cover and it's been repainted, it's probably cracks. Bumper covers and other flexible items are supposed to have a flex agent added to the paint when painting these. It sounds like it could have been left out in your case.

Bingo.