carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 01-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
E36M3 torn rear shock mount

I just heard from a co-worker that he had to have his 99 M3 with just under 27k miles towed because of a torn upper shock mount on the left rear. He was pretty upset seeing as the car has had no accidents, no racing, no autocrossing and no driving schools...he never even drives it hard.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Doug

typical problem, even on a street car. Welding that area can be $$$. Make sure he gets new shock mounts AND the Z3 reinforcements or Ground Control RSMs to alleviate this problem.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
JST

Re: E36M3 torn rear shock mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
I just heard from a co-worker that he had to have his 99 M3 with just under 27k miles towed because of a torn upper shock mount on the left rear. He was pretty upset seeing as the car has had no accidents, no racing, no autocrossing and no driving schools...he never even drives it hard.
Tell him to look on the bright side: The other common problem in these cars is subframe failure. At least that didn't happen.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Tell him to look on the bright side: The other common problem in these cars is subframe failure. At least that didn't happen.
SpaceMonk and I replaced the RSMs on my car a few months ago. They were both shot. I used e46 M3 rsms to replace the stock ones.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Clarification: Are you saying that the mount was torn (which happens to all of them, and 27K miles is not unreasonable), or that the steel body that the mount bolts to was torn (which also happens, but more rarely). From the fact that the car was towed, I am guessing the latter.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

If the E36 M3 has an Achille's Heel, it would probably be the rear shock mounts. As JST said, the mounts themselves fail on a very regular basis. It's less common to see the actual shock tower tear, but it's still relatively common. From a shadetree engineer's standpoint, it is a pretty stupid decision to mount the shock absorbers using two measly holes in a section of sheet metal. I would've expected more from BMW in that department.

How long has your coworker owned his M3? The damage may have been caused from a pothole, other road debris, or perhaps an incident under prior ownership.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

If it's just a torn mount, I can't see why it would have to be towed. And it's an easy DIY repair.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
From what I understand the mounting bolts tore through the body (I only spoke with him briefly about it.) He is an older guy, in his late 60's and he's the original owner. He really doesn't seem like the type to turn wrenches any longer so I'm sure that is why he had it towed.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote