carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Dunlop Winter Sport M3's

Two years ago I bought a set of these high-preformance snows for our Accord, mostly based off the glowing review of them from bimmerfest. I never found them very impressive. The dry grip basically sucks (significantly worse than all-seasons) and the snow grip was not impressive either.

Consumer Reports (yeah, yeah, Consumer Reports) recently ranked performance snow tires, and it lists two versions of the M3.

Dunlop Winter Sport M3 V
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 H

The 'H' version finished dead last out of more than 20 tires, having mediocre braking in dry, ice, and snow. The 'V' finished higher, but not particularly high (I forget where and I don't have the magazine handy).

I looked at my tires and it says "93H" on it. I assume I have bottom feeding 'H'. Why did people love these tires so much? I think this is an example where objective testing like Consumer Reports is more valuable than personal recommendations.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Dunno. I absolutely love mine. Mostly because I got them at a rock-bottom price AND got a $100 rebate on top of that. They wound up being about $250 cheaper for the set than the next cheapest set.

The dry grip isn't the best, but they're super quiet on the freeway, they're great in rain, and with the on the Boxster the car was positively unstoppable even when the snow was a couple inches above the front bumper.

I guess since I've never had any other snow tires I don't know what I'm missing, but these have been incredible for me!

edit: I got them in a narrower size than recommended, front and rear. 205 fronts and 245 rears (225 fronts and 255 rears are the stock sizes)
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My only set of snow tires so I have nothing to compare them to. I had 205/50-17's so I think that makes them a V.

I found their braking/lateral stability on packed snow to be very good. Very confident taking the first zhp up to Northern Vermont twice. I did put a 50lb sand tube at the edge of the trunk.

Failings: Got almost stuck once (in a road depression where snow had piled up). Could not get into some parking spots after large snowstorm without digging.

I found them a little slippery on wet, warm roads. I didn't push them dry at all as I was too worried about eating up the snow tires (silly me as I ended up selling them in perfect condition) - they did chirp on shifts if I were pressing on.

I would definitely buy them again.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I dunno man. But this is my experience with 3 winter tires.

Blizzak WS-50 (on 190E 2.6): Simply spectacular tire for snow (especially deep snow) and ice. Problem is that on dry pavement it feels made out of play-doh. This gets worse, the warmer it is and tread wear increases seemingly exponentially with rising temperatures.

Blizzak LM-22 (on 330i): Great performance tire. For the reasonable snow performance it gives, it does quite well in dry weather and particularly good at high speeds. Tread life is better than WS-50.

Dunlop Graspic DS-2 (Saabaru): Somewhere in between the two tires above. Better dry performance than WS-50, but not as great on deep snow or ice. Handling is improved, but not as good as LM-22's. Braking is not very good. Not impressed with performance on ice. Should have just gotten the WS-50's. Also they may seem better than they are since this car is AWD. But they sure beat the all-season RE92's.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
They are cheap snow tires what do you expect?

I made sure to get the higher load rating that was available in the size I wanted for the stiffer sidewall. Overall, I don't have any complaints with them.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Snow tires? HAHAHAHA!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

I love snow. Snow driving is second only to autocross in terms of car fun-ness.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I love snow. Snow driving is second only to autocross in terms of car fun-ness.
it's only fun when all of the nannies are dis-engaged.

(but i did still almost get stuck in some thick slush on an uphill at a redlight in the V with LM22s)

i had to turn off TC and DSC and let the LSD rip until i got past the slush. hence my reluctance to ever buy an open diff car again; it saves my bacon a lot.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

What nannies?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
What nannies?
you'd be amazed at how tractable the leaden sled is with DSC on and snow tires equipped. it's goofproof on any flat surface.

------------------

that written, it was amazing how quickly the system basically turned the engine off in occasions when i'm caught at a redlight and the slush builds up there. if i don't have my finger right on the "TC off" button quickly, it's dangerous because traffic can pile up (impatiently) behind me.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote