carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
JST

On Perseverating...

...as part of my archival dig to find the page of 9/11/01 posts on toadfly, I came across my post that morning on whether to buy an E36 M3C or lease a (then new) 330i. I remember agonizing over that decision for a month or more. I ended up with the M3, but since that time I've sold the M3, leased an E46 M3, got rid of that, and leased a 330.

Full circle, and all of that, but the other thing that this brings to mind is the pointlessness of agonizing over these decisions. Cars come. Cars go. If you don't like the car you get, you can get rid of it for the one you didn't.

That is all.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
If you don't like the car you get, you can get rid of it for the one you didn't.
Fighting... urge... to test drive a 335i...
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
dan
redefined

Quote:
Full circle, and all of that, but the other thing that this brings to mind is the pointlessness of agonizing over these decisions. Cars come. Cars go. If you don't like the car you get, you can get rid of it for the one you didn't.

That is all.

but then you get to agonize over how much money you lose by trading cars so often, and complain about BMWs depreciating like rocks
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
It's not really as simple as that. The process of buying and selling cars is pretty tedious and expensive when you factor in inspections, registration, taxes, insurance, dealing with the financing company (if applicable), etc etc etc. I love the process of picking cars to drive, driving them, and picking them up but the ancillary stuff is annoying.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
but then you get to agonize over how much money you lose by trading cars so often, and complain about BMWs depreciating like rocks
I don't think I've ever done that. Cars are my habit. They are cheaper than cocaine. The transaction costs of buying and selling are annoying, but you've got to pay to play. If the amount I lost on this crap bothered me, I'd buy an E34 M5 and a 993 and keep them forever.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
I don't think I've ever done that. Cars are my habit. They are cheaper than cocaine. The transaction costs of buying and selling are annoying, but you've got to pay to play. If the amount I lost on this crap bothered me, I'd buy an E34 M5 and a 993 and keep them forever.
What is it about those two cars?

Two weeks ago I was going through some long-neglected piles of misc crap in the house and found the flyer for that silver Euro E34 M5 that was out at Curry's. Letting that one get away still bothers me.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Right because then you'd be spending 10x that money to maintain and repair those highly reliable vehicles.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
Who's agonizing?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
dan
redefined

you
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's not really as simple as that. The process of buying and selling cars is pretty tedious and expensive when you factor in inspections, registration, taxes, insurance, dealing with the financing company (if applicable), etc etc etc. I love the process of picking cars to drive, driving them, and picking them up but the ancillary stuff is annoying.
I think he's talking about the "bigger picture" stuff, you know, cars come and go........today's "gotta have it" vehicles become yesterday's news in no time at all.

BMW etc., must love websites like bimmerfest - owners do a lot of work for them, they lust over a cars not yet released, then when they finally do show, everyone posts pictures of their new rides, complete with salivating write-ups.

A year or two passes and the same cars everyone paid through the nose for are available at used car prices.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote