carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 01-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Blee, on your E30 engine rebuild...

You had a complete head job done didn't you?

I've decided to replace the head gasket on my 190E. The gasket is a $70 kit and I have no downside and only upsides like learning a lot and getting my car running again.

Most people recommend, due to the overheating of the engine, to resurface the head and do a valve job (seals, guides, reseating guides, etc).

Did you get that done, and if so what did it involve, and out of curiosity what did it run.

Thanks!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I did get it done. It involved removing the head and taking it to my machine shop, where it was rebuilt to original specs. That included a hell of a cleaning, checking and machining the mating surface if necessary, checking all of the springs and valves, replacing guides, and all of that stuff. Cost me about $700, IIRC. I imagine that most of that was labor; the only parts replaced were the guides, and those can't be too expensive. Just think about the time involved in taking apart 16 valves, cleaning everything, putting it all back together, and adjusting everything back into spec.

It was a little pricey, but when I came to pick it up, I was speechless. The thing looked like it was brand new. The aluminum was bright, every last speck of combustion crud was gone, and it just looked beautiful. Worth every penny in my case, not so sure how much you're willing to spend in yours. I'm pretty sure I posted some photos of the new head over on the fest, but if you're curious I can upload them here.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
I did get it done. It involved removing the head and taking it to my machine shop, where it was rebuilt to original specs. That included a hell of a cleaning, checking and machining the mating surface if necessary, checking all of the springs and valves, replacing guides, and all of that stuff. Cost me about $700, IIRC. I imagine that most of that was labor; the only parts replaced were the guides, and those can't be too expensive. Just think about the time involved in taking apart 16 valves, cleaning everything, putting it all back together, and adjusting everything back into spec.

It was a little pricey, but when I came to pick it up, I was speechless. The thing looked like it was brand new. The aluminum was bright, every last speck of combustion crud was gone, and it just looked beautiful. Worth every penny in my case, not so sure how much you're willing to spend in yours. I'm pretty sure I posted some photos of the new head over on the fest, but if you're curious I can upload them here.
Thanks. I can find the picks. In fact I remember seeing them at the time.

I don't know if I want to spend more than $200-300 dollars on the valve head. I'm somewhat leaning toward snot touching it at all, if only because the seals were replaced last year by me and the engine ran beautifully.

There is something to be said for having a basically brand new engine, but if my car is running again, I don't see me keeping it for more than another 2 years/25K miles.

At the same time, I dont want to reinstall a potentially warped head.

Maybe I should just have the head resurfaced (I've heard that's less than $100) and install a new gasket and see what happens.

Here's the thread I started. Lots of knowledgeable people there.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu....php3?t=114184
Old 01-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

I found this place.

http://www.mercedesengines.net/head_rebuild.htm

For my car, that would be $475. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

$475 isn't a bad deal. My M3 project was a "spare no expense, within reason" deal, which means that my idea of an acceptable price was different from most people's. If this were a more normal car, I would balk at $700.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote