carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Next-gen M3 will be an EV?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...aditional-feel

I say go for it. It is already too traction limited to be RWD. If they can make a "fun" EV, that would be great.

I could be interested in ~3 years, right around the time I could hand over the GTI to the kids.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...aditional-feel

I say go for it. It is already too traction limited to be RWD. If they can make a "fun" EV, that would be great.

I could be interested in ~3 years, right around the time I could hand over the GTI to the kids.
Sorry, but EVs are not ready for prime time other than Telsa and mostly because of their own infrastructure. The charging experience is less than desirable. It recently took me an hour and a half to charge the Rivian from 42% to 100% via an electrify America 150kW fast charger. The charging infrastructure absolutely sucks! It is absurd… if you don’t believe me Google around and see what Johnny Lieberman and Chris Harris‘s opinions are. Edit: Per Spike’s Car Radio the recent lines to charge Teslas in California is apparently laughable, even when a Tesla charging station has 25+ chargers the lines become lengthy. This is going be a giant shit show in the matter of just a few years if the charging stations are not built quickly and in large numbers. They have got to be fully functional too. I cannot tell you how many times I have been to a EA charging station where there is only one or two working.

Last edited by SCA; 08-21-2022 at 06:09 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I believe that. Every time I go somewhere with Tesla chargers, they are all being used up.

Maybe I am weird, but I would not depend on chargers outside of my personal home for the foreseeable future unless it's a setup I trust will be available like a fast charger at work, or as I did once, plug my car via 120VAC at work for the whole day knowing I was only going to add a few miles of range. It will be along while before our family vacation/road trip car does not take fuel.

But if I can be self-sufficient and plug the car nightly as I did with the eGolf, my 46 mile daily round trip commute should not be a problem. I would not trust that on the "110 mile range" I had on the eGolf because cold temps and highway driving would kill the range down to 65-70 and then the car started bitching at 18 miles left, but with >200 miles of range, no problem.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Yeah, charger infrastructure puts me off for now and possibly for the next 10 years, until we get our act together. And that’s what makes PHEVs attractive to me, even though they’re kind of the worst of both worlds.

But, I have to say, I’m kind of tired of schlepping to gas up the car. I would not mind the flexibility of the PHEV, if it reduced the number of gas station visits I need to make.

Plus, the prepper in me likes some redundancy in important tools/systems.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
Nick M3
Relic

i mean, i’d totally have an EV as a beater. i don’t think that we are at the point where EVs are friction free trip cars.

the problem is that i just don’t drive enough to justify the cars that i have, much less an EV.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
i mean, i’d totally have an EV as a beater. i don’t think that we are at the point where EVs are friction free trip cars.

the problem is that i just don’t drive enough to justify the cars that i have, much less an EV.
Yep. That’s where I am, too. That’s why it’s actually a special trip for me to go get gas. LOL.

I can go almost a week without driving anywhere when I don’t have my kid. And when he gets his license, even that use will wane.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
SCA
Jaded

I have put gas in one car within the past two months. Of course it (E39) has shared local travels with the Rivian.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #8
robg
Carmudgeon

Note the use of the word "electrified" in that article... I suspect that the next M3 will have some type of hybrid system but wont be a full EV. Maybe they'll also offer a sister model (kind of like the i4 and 4 series) that is full EV in the next gen but I bet the car that's actually branded "M3" will still have an ICE engine of some sort. Not that its something to be excited about--- the latest C63 AMG is a hybrid that makes use of a 4 cylinder turbo. At that point, just go full EV. Its not like the "character" of a 4 cyinder is going to warm the hearts of enthusiasts.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:49 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Note the use of the word "electrified" in that article... I suspect that the next M3 will have some type of hybrid system but wont be a full EV. Maybe they'll also offer a sister model (kind of like the i4 and 4 series) that is full EV in the next gen but I bet the car that's actually branded "M3" will still have an ICE engine of some sort. Not that its something to be excited about--- the latest C63 AMG is a hybrid that makes use of a 4 cylinder turbo. At that point, just go full EV. Its not like the "character" of a 4 cyinder is going to warm the hearts of enthusiasts.
I was very tempted to go for the M3 sedan when I bought my 4 GC, but I could not in good conscience absorb the mileage hit. It just seemed so self-centered in my one and only car. Probably silly, since I really don’t drive much, but because I also had PHEVs and EVs in view, it just seemed like a big FU to the planet to buy it.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I was very tempted to go for the M3 sedan when I bought my 4 GC, but I could not in good conscience absorb the mileage hit. It just seemed so self-centered in my one and only car. Probably silly, since I really don’t drive much, but because I also had PHEVs and EVs in view, it just seemed like a big FU to the planet to buy it.

Oh wow - didn’t realize you’d considered an m3! Were you thinking manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote