carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-24-2023, 10:50 AM   #3801
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Lemming , so prices coming down with 45k over sticker? (weird to type that with 45k over )

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-24/

EDIT: Just noticed it was RNM so I guess that is a yes based on the sellers reserve
I don’t know where the market will settle out. I want it to drop because then I can just buy a CPO car.

Supply doesn’t seem to be helping the market in this niche segment.

I thought people had said allocation and production numbers would increase and drive this crazy market down?

I’m not seeing it yet.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #3802
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I don’t know where the market will settle out. I want it to drop because then I can just buy a CPO car.

Supply doesn’t seem to be helping the market in this niche segment.

I thought people had said allocation and production numbers would increase and drive this crazy market down?

I’m not seeing it yet.
It seems like Porsche, in particular, has been one of the hardest hit with supply chain issues. I think they had several key suppliers based in the Ukraine (for example wiring harnesses), with obvious repercussions. On top of that they've had all sorts of other random black swan events from ships sinking to strikes at German ports. As long as they aren't at full capacity prices will probably stay high (barring a major recession).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:52 AM   #3803
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
It seems like Porsche, in particular, has been one of the hardest hit with supply chain issues. I think they had several key suppliers based in the Ukraine (for example wiring harnesses), with obvious repercussions. As long as they aren't at full capacity prices will probably stay high (barring a major recession).
I can add a funny anecdote for you. Re: PTS. Don’t know with regard to the LWBs.

The mining companies who dig for the ore to support the unique PTS colors have machinery breaking down and no spare parts. So if a single mine is responsible for Hyacinth Rouge (I’m making myself laugh) and their typical efficiency is 80-90% recovery on a given week, it’s not more like 30-40% which cramps PTS supply. It doesn’t help that everyone and their mother is ordering PTS.

But that’s a strange example in Porsche world.

I’m sure there’s similar stories about CF sourcing and fabrication and likely true for harnesses, chips and ceramic brakes.

The thing is, nobody needs a car like this. It’s not some exotic car. They’d make as many as they could (and they did this for the 991 generation) if possible.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:57 AM   #3804
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I can add a funny anecdote for you. Re: PTS. Don’t know with regard to the LWBs.

The mining companies who dig for the ore to support the unique PTS colors have machinery breaking down and no spare parts. So if a single mine is responsible for Hyacinth Rouge (I’m making myself laugh) and their typical efficiency is 80-90% recovery on a given week, it’s not more like 30-40% which cramps PTS supply. It doesn’t help that everyone and their mother is ordering PTS.

But that’s a strange example in Porsche world.

I’m sure there’s similar stories about CF sourcing and fabrication and likely true for harnesses, chips and ceramic brakes.

The thing is, nobody needs a car like this. It’s not some exotic car. They’d make as many as they could (and they did this for the 991 generation) if possible.
Yup. Plus they've done a good job of creating a niche and living up to the tagline "there is no substitute". You could, in theory, probably buy something else instead like an Audi R8, Corvette C8, AMG GT, etc...but would you? Nope. And the people who have those cars (like Alan for example) also have a Porsche.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #3805
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yup. Plus they've done a good job of creating a niche and living up to the tagline "there is no substitute". You could, in theory, probably buy something else instead like an Audi R8, Corvette C8, AMG GT, etc...but would you? Nope.
Well, no. But Clyde has often in the past said how ridiculous I am.

Audi R8: lack of development and shared chassis with Huracan is a turn-off to me. AWD is a also a snooze fest for me.

Corvette C8: I never warmed to the styling and lack of a manual option is off putting to me. Z06 has no reliability track record as of yet. The rear end styling alone is a big no for me.

AMG GT: last gen is cooked and done. Next Gen looks to be SL based (read: heavy). Grand Tourer? Sure. But any other AMG with the V8TT would do, IMO. You buy this car for the sound.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:00 AM   #3806
SCA
Jaded

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet (997 II) Basically $90k, but hey it is a manual. https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-XEK04G

Edit: New MSRP was $127k

Last edited by SCA; 01-28-2023 at 11:52 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:24 AM   #3807
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
2012 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet (997 II) Basically $90k, but hey it is a manual. https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-XEK04G
That is a very nice car.

Old 01-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #3808
JST

It’s a shame it comes from 2012, when (judging solely by used Porsches) color hadn’t been invented yet.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #3809
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s a shame it comes from 2012, when (judging solely by used Porsches) color hadn’t been invented yet.
The exterior colors offered on the 997.2 below. There were some vibrant colors offered, but apparently very few ordered them. 911 buyers at that time appear to have been fairly conservative at least judging by what I have seen come to the market over the past three years. Reality, I feel most 911 buyers are still rather conservative in regards to paint selection as the vast majority of pre-owned 991s and 992s are black, silver, grey, white or red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44EB8704-0DD5-4D9B-8E33-A1A085408E3F.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	15596  

Last edited by SCA; 01-28-2023 at 12:17 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #3810
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote