carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-25-2022, 11:55 AM   #2811
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Yes. Kinda chintzy.
Exactly…
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #2812
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Went down a rabbit hole of watching carrera T reviews and looking at online listings. I don’t think I realized (or remembered) that it came with a limited slip (not available on the base car) as well as sport exhaust. I want one but prices just seem kind of insane right now. CPO cars are around 120k. Plus being a relatively low production model it’s hard to even find one in an appealing spec (manual, normal seats, no decals, not yellow or white).

Maybe I should put my name on the waiting list for a 992 version - figure it could take about 3 years at this point. Wonder if they will “allow” the 992T to be specced with a manual? Although I really do prefer the looks and interior of the 991…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can, you should drive one.

I think for most people, if you drive a 911, it’s seriously underwhelming. It’s either going to resonate with you or it’s not. And even if it does, it’s never an over the top experience.

There’s tons of nuances too. The base 991.2 rolls over onto the tire to set an edge which is classic 911 setup. The 991.2 TTS has PDCC so it behaves quite differently.

The power delivery of the base/standard 991 Carrera is also mostly linear. Runs out of spice at about 90-100mph. But for 90% of driving do I wish for more power? Not at all.

The 991 Turbo S is like the automotive equivalent of Dieter on Sprockets. It’s a caricature of a car. Laggy and then the boost hits and it’s Space X. It’s fun in a very digital way. Like piloting a drone and blowing up bad guys remotely. You’re not really involved in the experience as much. Loud and boring below 90. Really eerie how fast it is from 90-130mph.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #2813
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Maybe I should put my name on the waiting list for a 992 version - figure it could take about 3 years at this point.
I'm on 2 different lists and I believe it has been 6-8 months already and I don't know when it will ever happen. One dealer I think I am #11 and another I am #2. I had high hopes for the #2 spot when I gave my deposit but it is the Porsche dealer in the Hamptons (NY) and being they are a small dealership they haven't gotten a 992S Coupe allocation.

I was offered many months ago an allocation for a 992S Convertible from the dealer I am #11 on but I really am more of a Coupe person. Anyway at least the C8 is going into production in 2 1/2 weeks
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #2814
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I'm on 2 different lists and I believe it has been 6-8 months already and I don't know when it will ever happen. One dealer I think I am #11 and another I am #2. I had high hopes for the #2 spot when I gave my deposit but it is the Porsche dealer in the Hamptons (NY) and being they are a small dealership they haven't gotten a 992S Coupe allocation.

I was offered many months ago an allocation for a 992S Convertible from the dealer I am #11 on but I really am more of a Coupe person. Anyway at least the C8 is going into production in 2 1/2 weeks

So crazy - you’d think they were low volume exotic cars. Probably be easier to get a Morgan at this pint!

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #2815
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Those are some good choices there.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #2816
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Oh… good idea! I should do the same. Agreed re the 991. It appears that the interior plastics went fairly cheap in the 992. The VW bean counters must have gotten a hold of it?
The base (non-extended leather) 991 interior has its issues as well. Non leather door panels are prone to warping. I didn't know about it when shopping, but was very happy that the Espresso leather package covers almost everything so I don't have to worry about it. The door card warping might be a .1 thing, but read up on it before buying.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #2817
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The base (non-extended leather) 991 interior has its issues as well. Non leather door panels are prone to warping. I didn't know about it when shopping, but was very happy that the Espresso leather package covers almost everything so I don't have to worry about it. The door card warping might be a .1 thing, but read up on it before buying.
You raise a good point. The interiors on the 991’s can be mostly swaths of textured plastic unless you do have the extended leather options.

It’s not terrible, but if you obsess about these things, the interior might not befit one’s sense of how a car at this price point should be equipped.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #2818
robg
Carmudgeon

Dial 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
You raise a good point. The interiors on the 991’s can be mostly swaths of textured plastic unless you do have the extended leather options.

It’s not terrible, but if you obsess about these things, the interior might not befit one’s sense of how a car at this price point should be equipped.

Same thing probably goes for all 911 gens as well, no?

Whenever I play around with the Porsche configuration, I always start with the premise of speccing a “drivers car” but then get annoyed at the lack of basic stuff at over 100k so then I add another 10k+ worth of tech and comfort options…(seats w/ ventilation, full leather, Bose, sunroof, etc).

That recent bat auction of the Irish green 991 has made things worse - recently added the ridiculous 11k pts option to get that color. Probably better to just wrap it at that point

Fortunately there’s pretty much no chance of getting an Porsche I want in the next few years so my wallet is safe

Old 06-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #2819
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Same thing probably goes for all 911 gens as well, no?
The key difference that I am aware of in the 991 is the plastic door panel warping. Specifically, there is an issue with the glue they use that breaks down and lets go.

'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #2820
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The key difference that I am aware of in the 991 is the plastic door panel warping. Specifically, there is an issue with the glue they use that breaks down and lets go.

yeah..was commenting more on Lemmings' general statement about 911 interiors "the interior might not befit one’s sense of how a car at this price point should be equipped"