carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, it's apparently not dry sump because there's nowhere to put the oil tank. I haven't been paying enough attention to know whether oil starvation is still an issue on the track.

That said, yeah, since the GT3 is necessarily 2 seats, I am not sure why you'd buy one of those over a GT4. Maybe testing will reveal that the GT4 is still slower than the GT3, but I have to imagine that the difference disappears on the track, where the GT4's favorable layout provides dividends.

I agree with equ, though--as much as I kind of want this and/or a GT3 Touring, both are overkill for the street.

But so glad that they commit to making this car!

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
But so glad that they commit to making this car!
This is true. It may be overpriced but at least they make it.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's not even overpriced. They're going to sell every one of them that they make.

I just can't wrap my head around buying a car that costs $100k. I can't even wrap my head around buying a car that costs $50k. The most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased is my truck, which was just under $40k, which I know is nothing for some of you folks, but that alone made me anxious.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's not even overpriced. They're going to sell every one of them that they make.

I just can't wrap my head around buying a car that costs $100k. I can't even wrap my head around buying a car that costs $50k. The most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased is my truck, which was just under $40k, which I know is nothing for some of you folks, but that alone made me anxious.
You have to balance YOLO with other parameters sometimes. I was and am anxious about the M3, but oh well.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Ultra hi-po street cars don't give me jollies anymore. I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but it was around the time I sold my E36 M3, which realistically was fast enough, organic enough, cheap enough and comfortable enough to be pretty much perfect as a daily driver. It just took me fifteen years of (relatively) expensive cars to realize it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

Well, inflation is what it is, and car prices are creeping up all the time. I remember when I would have choked on 50 for a car, but what can you do? As we've explored in other threads, there aren't many "cars" left at all, and even fewer reasonably priced ones.

Plus the thing about the GT4 is that the depreciation is going to be pretty gentle. Total cost of ownership on this thing isn't going to be what you'd expect for a 100K car. Buy one with a stick and I bet you can sell it in 3 years for not too far off what you paid for it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
ff

Quote:
Buy one with a stick and I bet you can sell it in 3 years for not too far off what you paid for it.
Being one of the last of a dying breed, I think you're probably right about this.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

Plus the thing about the GT4 is that the depreciation is going to be pretty gentle. Total cost of ownership on this thing isn't going to be what you'd expect for a 100K car. Buy one with a stick and I bet you can sell it in 3 years for not too far off what you paid for it.
you can only buy one with a stick
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Well, inflation is what it is, and car prices are creeping up all the time. I remember when I would have choked on 50 for a car, but what can you do? As we've explored in other threads, there aren't many "cars" left at all, and even fewer reasonably priced ones.
Over the past 20 years or so, what I've spent on cars has mostly trended downward in that-year dollars. The 325xiT I bought in December 2001 is the only one to have busted $30k. <shrug>

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Your Camaro was under 30K? Sweet!