Hell No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'm sure it works amazingly well...right up to the point your car runs over someone or hits something.
It recognizes pedestrians
Old 04-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #12
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
majority of the times
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Based on my experiences with NYC taxi drivers and (mostly in Houston) sketchy as all hell uber drivers, I have no problem giving a computer controlled tesla a try. I figure worst case, it probably has better passive safety features than the 12yr old 300,000 mile uber corolla and is better maintained than the NYC crown vic that has been riding without brake pads or shock absorbers for the last 3wks
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
What basis do you have to believe that it correctly recognizes pedestrians reliably and often enough and when it recognizes them, takes acceptable corrective actions reliably and often enough that the risks are acceptable?

I mean, besides Musk telling you so? (Or has he actually said that? Cuz, you know, as you said, "beta" )

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Revenue missed by 10% this quarter 10% !!!!!

That was a huge miss.

Maybe Elan is driving taxi's in two years
Old 04-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #16
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
What basis do you have to believe that it correctly recognizes pedestrians reliably and often enough and when it recognizes them, takes acceptable corrective actions reliably and often enough that the risks are acceptable?

I mean, besides Musk telling you so? (Or has he actually said that? Cuz, you know, as you said, "beta" )
Has nothing to do with what Musk tells me (as if I have regular meetings with him ).

Because the car shows little people icons on the display (along with cars, trucks, motorcycles). When we get home and people get out of the car before I pull into the garage, it shows them immediately. If it can see them to display them, it can take action.

Last edited by ZBB; 04-26-2019 at 07:21 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Has nothing to do with what Musk tells me (as if I have regular meetings white him ).
Something convinced you that it's reasonable to turn over your driving responsibilities to your car and, presumably, doing so would not bring about a greater risk of killing someone than you driving on your own. Otherwise, you wouldn't do it, right? I am curious what it was that convinced you.

Quote:
Because the car shows little people icons on the display (along with cars, trucks, motorcycles). When we get home and people get out of the car before I pull into the garage, it shows them immediately. If it can see them to display them, it can take action.
1) Are you sure it recognizes pedestrians as often as you do (or, more importantly, will), in as wide ranging of conditions as you do (again, or will), and does so (or, will) early enough to "take action"? What makes you believe that?

2) "take action" means it will take the correct action in response to each pedestrian it identifies as often as you would? What makes you believe that?

3) I originally commented on how well it works until it runs over someone, to which you responded, or hits something, which you were silent on and has been ignored in the subsequent discussion. If the car has to make a choice between running over someone or hitting something else, do you think it is as or more likely to choose hitting the right person or thing compared to you making that choice, whether reflexively or consciously? Why do you think that?

I am not suggesting that a car operating under the system is not safe enough that it doesn't present an unreasonably larger risk than a completely human controlled car.

I'm saying that there is no publicly available data, there is no certification by an independent body, and there are no agreed upon standards upon which to certify against.

There is only a manufacturer telling you, "Hey check this shit out! Ain't it swell?" At least, that's all I know about it. NHTSA and other independent bodies don't even have a preliminary cache of scientifically sound data to hazard a guess whether these technologies are "safe enough" to deploy in public. Remember when the Surgeon General issues a warning about the health threat posed by cigarette smoking? The manufacturers disputed the underlying science for decades after because they had something to lose.

Full disclosure, I have no problem with you choosing to risk your life, well being, or property, but it pisses the fuck out of me that others choose to risk my well being, the well being of my family, and the well being of those I care about without our consent.

If I am missing something persuasive that these systems are as safe as humans driving, please show me. I would really like to stop and move on.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Something convinced you that it's reasonable to turn over your driving responsibilities to your car
It seemed fun.

I also work in AI and love seeing examples of it running action.

Quote:
presumably, doing so would not bring about a greater risk of killing someone than you driving on your own.
I didn't make that assumption. Driving my car at all risks killing someone. It's all about risk/reward.

I use it in scenarios where I have a safe buffer time to react. There's probably some risk but it's small enough that I'm not worried about it.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Something convinced you that it's reasonable to turn over your driving responsibilities to your car and, presumably, doing so would not bring about a greater risk of killing someone than you driving on your own. Otherwise, you wouldn't do it, right? I am curious what it was that convinced you.
Having a car that has some semi-self-driving features -- and trying those features out.

I'm guessing that I now have ~500 miles where I've driven with "Navigate with Autopilot" engaged, and ~250 with the auto-lane change enabled. I pay attention to the road when its engaged, but I'm pretty impressed with the AI in the car and the decisions it makes to safely change lanes.

(I'll review your other comments later tonight)...
Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
It seemed fun.
points for honesty

Quote:
I didn't make that assumption. Driving my car at all risks killing someone. It's all about risk/reward.
You kill someone or don't; the car kills someone or not. 50/50 either way. Got it.

Quote:
There's probably some risk but it's small enough that I'm not worried about it.
Some risk, but you have no idea how much, how little, how it compares to if you were in charge, but fuck it. Seems fun.

Quote:
(I'll review your other comments later tonight)...
Looking forward to it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?