carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #61
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I find motoman really kind of unbearable to watch, but I am going to watch this one later purely out of curiosity about this particular car.
Careful... He was the best man at my wedding.

I’ve known him for nearly 29 years. He does have his opinions...
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #62
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Seems like this must be the "launch color" for the RWD car. Every review seems to feature a taycan in this color. Even worse is they seem to be configured with purple interiors as well. Maybe it's Porsche's way of trying to subliminally hint to people not to actually buy the base model. . I guess some people will be able to score REALLY good deals on ex press fleet Taycans in a few months.
All the reviews are likely the same car... Press typically get the car for one week, then turn it in for someone else to review... I’ve visited MotoMan and seen a few car exchanges... I may also have driven a handful of the cars he has reviewed...
Old 02-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #63
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Yeah, I was about to say he was ZBB's friend (didn't remember/know the best man part). I'm sure he has a good feel for cars. Taycan base looks like a winner actually, needs different colors and wheels.

For long term ownership, I'd stay away from air suspension and 4ws and give up some nimbleness. I intentionally found a macan turbo (that I ended up not keeping) without air suspension and the ride (with PASM) was just fine.

Can you get a decent spec for $90k? Still a very large sum.. I'm a bit short of time and interest to go on the configurator, but if PASM and good seats are standard, that should be possible.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #64
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Careful... He was the best man at my wedding.

I’ve known him for nearly 29 years. He does have his opinions...
I'm sure he's a good guy, I just find him to be really annoying.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #65
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
All the reviews are likely the same car... Press typically get the car for one week, then turn it in for someone else to review... I’ve visited MotoMan and seen a few car exchanges... I may also have driven a handful of the cars he has reviewed...

Good friend to have! I meant that I’ve seen multiple cars with the same color (they had different wheels and slightly different options . Also different countries in some cases)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #66
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Yeah, I was about to say he was ZBB's friend (didn't remember/know the best man part). I'm sure he has a good feel for cars. Taycan base looks like a winner actually, needs different colors and wheels.

For long term ownership, I'd stay away from air suspension and 4ws and give up some nimbleness. I intentionally found a macan turbo (that I ended up not keeping) without air suspension and the ride (with PASM) was just fine.

Can you get a decent spec for $90k? Still a very large sum.. I'm a bit short of time and interest to go on the configurator, but if PASM and good seats are standard, that should be possible.

Yeah here’s one for 90k. Just added slightly nicer wheels, blue paint, adaptive cruise, 14 ways seats, Bose stereo, mobile charger (crazy it’s not standard).

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM2YGPQ3
PASM is standard.

90k is a lot but if you factor in:
Tax credit, dealer discount (this will be their volume model), and lower running costs vs a similar gas car, I think you’d be at the equivalent a 65k macan s in terms of ownership costs. Of course, if you really need AWD or a hatch that’s a moot comparison.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #67
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah here’s one for 90k. Just added slightly nicer wheels, blue paint, adaptive cruise, 14 ways seats, Bose stereo, mobile charger (crazy it’s not standard).

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM2YGPQ3
PASM is standard.

90k is a lot but if you factor in:
Tax credit, dealer discount (this will be their volume model), and lower running costs vs a similar gas car, I think you’d be at the equivalent a 65k macan s in terms of ownership costs. Of course, if you really need AWD or a hatch that’s a moot comparison.

$2050 for adaptive cruise control

so it comes with no charging cable or that is some special converter cable?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #68
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
$2050 for adaptive cruise control

so it comes with no charging cable or that is some special converter cable?
I tried using the configurator but way too many fucking options with no simple way to discern what they are, what's decorative, what's substantive, and how they interact with other options.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #69
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I tried using the configurator but way too many fucking options with no simple way to discern what they are, what's decorative, what's substantive, and how they interact with other options.
Just check all the boxes, like you're supposed to.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #70
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Just check all the boxes, like you're supposed to.
haha- yeah they clearly dont want you asking any questions. It's more of a FOMO thing "I have no idea what that is but I better get it since its $6k".