carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #141
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Agreed, plus Porsche's configurator is not the clearest when it comes to describing what is and isn't included--someone on twitter mentioned that heated seats in the front are standard but the way the option is worded it makes it seem like they are not.

And I do not fully understand what does and does not come with the car vis a vis charging--and I know a lot more about living with an EV than most Porsche customers. The configurator is waaaaay too complicated there.
Yeah another thing they are vague about is PASM-- apparenly that comes standard but its not well documented. They make you think you only get that in conjunction w/ air suspension. As far as charging, yeah they are doing themselves and their customers a disservice by how poorly they explain the various "e mobiliy" options. I bet there's very few salespeople who could accurately explain any of it. I've determiend that the only charging option that looks really necessary is that 400v/150kw on-board charger. WIthout that, if you encounter a public charging station that's rated for 150kw, your car may only charge at about 50kw if you dont get that option. I dont think that applies to any of the EA charging stations, but apparently some Charepoint stations fall into this category (400V/150kw). Don't see the point in the 22Kw on-board AC charger-- whether the car takes 4-5 hours vs 8 hours to charge at home is irrelevant sicne most people plug in their EVs overnight. If you're on a road trip, you'll want to find a DC charger anyway.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #142
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah another thing they are vague about is PASM-- apparenly that comes standard but its not well documented. They make you think you only get that in conjunction w/ air suspension. As far as charging, yeah they are doing themselves and their customers a disservice by how poorly they explain the various "e mobiliy" options. I bet there's very few salespeople who could accurately explain any of it. I've determiend that the only charging option that looks really necessary is that 400v/150kw on-board charger. WIthout that, if you encounter a public charging station that's rated for 150kw, your car may only charge at about 50kw if you dont get that option. I dont think that applies to any of the EA charging stations, but apparently some Charepoint stations fall into this category (400V/150kw). Don't see the point in the 22Kw on-board AC charger-- whether the car takes 4-5 hours vs 8 hours to charge at home is irrelevant sicne most people plug in their EVs overnight. If you're on a road trip, you'll want to find a DC charger anyway.

Yeah, 9.6 kW is what the Model 3 has, and you're not going to find many 240V circuits that can provide 48A continuous, anyway.

Good god here's a 45 minute video about it. Why don't people just write content anymore?

https://insideevs.com/news/486327/ho...taycan-review/

I do think that there is logic to having high capacity AC charging for roadtrips, particularly where you are valeting the car and you need to share the charger. But that's an edge case and a lot of those chargers won't be set up to take advantage of the 11.6 kW optional charger.

The early Models S offered a much bigger difference--the 80A AC dual chargers were something else (that's 19.2 kW). Truth be told, I think I only really used that power once in the whole time I had my Model S, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #143
Nick M3
Relic

I'm guessing that the 100 amp vehicle charging circuit that I had installed in the garage was probably unnecessary, then.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #144
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I'm guessing that the 100 amp vehicle charging circuit that I had installed in the garage was probably unnecessary, then.
No, because the newer Tesla chargers can be mounted more than one to a circuit, so a 100 amp circuit will let you mount a couple of chargers.

God, another f'ing video.

https://www.tesla.com/support/load-s...wall-connector
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #145
robg
Carmudgeon

Sorry to post yet another video, but this guy makes some interesting points (though the video is a bit rambling in some spots)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCwYog-MBJw&t=1388s

He did a back to back comparison of the RWD and 4S and thinks the RWD feels just a bit too slow in daily use.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #146
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Yeah another thing they are vague about is PASM-- apparenly that comes standard but its not well documented. They make you think you only get that in conjunction w/ air suspension.
I think this may be clear to some porsche owners and all porsche engineers who live in their own bubble... E.g. the macan turbo had PASM standard but air suspension was an option (and I think it's been like that for many years for Cayennes). As I wrote previously, I was completely fine with the ride of "steel is real" in PASM normal. I would not want air springs on a machine where I have plans of long term ownership.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #147
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I think this may be clear to some porsche owners and all porsche engineers who live in their own bubble... E.g. the macan turbo had PASM standard but air suspension was an option (and I think it's been like that for many years for Cayennes). As I wrote previously, I was completely fine with the ride of "steel is real" in PASM normal. I would not want air springs on a machine where I have plans of long term ownership.

For sure. There’s lots of baseless claims that the air suspension “improves handling” but a) that doesn’t make much sense b) how would they know unless they’ve actually tested one with steel suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #148
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
For sure. There’s lots of baseless claims that the air suspension “improves handling” but a) that doesn’t make much sense b) how would they know unless they’ve actually tested one with steel suspension

I wouldn't be surprised if air springs improve the comfort/handling trade-off. PASM does that over passive suspensions. For me, the steel was good enough and certainly had more a of a "connected" feel as I test drove the air before purchasing. And then you use up the comfort/handling gains on 21" wheels... My macanurbo was on the base 19's, which did not hurt grip but helped comfort.

On my JGC, the option air suspension (which I covered with a mopar warranty extension) brought height adjustability, though generally that makes the tallest setting stiffest.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #149
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if air springs improve the comfort/handling trade-off. PASM does that over passive suspensions. For me, the steel was good enough and certainly had more a of a "connected" feel as I test drove the air before purchasing. And then you use up the comfort/handling gains on 21" wheels... My macanurbo was on the base 19's, which did not hurt grip but helped comfort.

On my JGC, the option air suspension (which I covered with a mopar warranty extension) brought height adjustability, though generally that makes the tallest setting stiffest.

Yeah our current RRS has air suspension as well - in a tall heavy SUV I suspect it helps improve ride/handling trade off (it seems to handle corners much better than you’d expect while still offering good ride quality). That could just be down to other aspects of the suspension design though. The claimed advantage is simply the height adjustment for off roading.

On a low car like a taycan i suspect the main advantage is just height adjustability (efficiency for the highway and clearing obstacles at low speed).

I will say that the 4s I test drove (which did have air springs) had one of the best ride/handling balances I’ve experienced.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #150
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Yeah our current RRS has air suspension as well - in a tall heavy SUV I suspect it helps improve ride/handling trade off (it seems to handle corners much better than you’d expect while still offering good ride quality). That could just be down to other aspects of the suspension design though. The claimed advantage is simply the height adjustment for off roading.
I was about to write the same about our LR4.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote