carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Anyone else intrigued by the Fusion Sport?

I've always thought the current Fusion was a great looking car. The fusion titanium I rented a few years ago was actually fun to drive and felt almost european in build quality. Now that they're adding a twin turbo V6, fixing sync and adding active dampers I'm intrigued. No manual, but as a fun family sedan it could hit the mark. Anyone else care?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
JST

The rental Fusion 2.0 I had was pretty nice. The Sport does sound intriguing, but no stick is a deal killer.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

I agree it is a great looking car and I admire it when I see it on the road but I also really admire the new buicks too ...I am not sure I'm at the point of owning one but man Ford and Buick are definitely starting to look attractive.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I agree it is a great looking car and I admire it when I see it on the road but I also really admire the new buicks too ...I am not sure I'm at the point of owning one but man Ford and Buick are definitely starting to look attractive.
Yeah- the regal is a good looking car. A friend of mine bought one a few years back and said that it was the only (family) sedan that his wife found acceptable in terms of looks.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The rental Fusion 2.0 I had was pretty nice. The Sport does sound intriguing, but no stick is a deal killer.
Actually your post reminded me that the paddles in the Fusion I rented were these horrible plastic things that felt like they were going to break when you pressed them. Not quick to respond either. Hope they've fixed those issues for the "sport" model. I admire you guys who are able to stay true to the "no stick no sale" mantra though.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I did break one of the paddles on my wife's fusion titanium, but her paddles reacted quickly except when the ECU was preventing downshifting.

When we bought the Fusion, we also test drove the current Regal. I liked the handling of the Regal much better than the Fusion, but it was to be her car . . .
Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
The Fusion is the one that is the Aston rip-off, right?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The Fusion is a good car. But I can't think of a situation where I'd voluntarily go buy one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I admire you guys who are able to stay true to the "no stick no sale" mantra though.
I once posted a thread here about who drives an automatic and it was pretty much established that just about everyone here does have at least one car with an automatic with the exception of only a few ... I remember being surprised because I thought everyone here only buys manuals.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I believe in that thread, I put my preference in the following order (first is best).

1) Direct drive / reduction gear only (i.e. Tesla), especially coupled with regen in the pedal
2) Stick
3) DSG-type automated manual (ie dual clutch)
4) Traditional automatic (paddles don't matter).
5) CVT
6) Single clutch automated manuals.

We currently have 1 and 4. I've never owned a 3, 5 or 6, but have test driven a 3 and liked it... I've had rentals with a 5 and they can be OK, but can feel odd at certain ratios where the engine sounds and perceived speed don't mix...