carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
clyde
Chief title editor

2020 EB Mustang Performance Package with Handling Package

Pricing and autocross classing will matter a lot, but will this be my next car?

330HP*, 350TQ

9.5" wide wheels all around

MagneRide

*Edit 4/16/19 9:37AM EDT: originally posted as 310hp because internet. Ford says 330, so now corrected

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?

Last edited by clyde; 04-16-2019 at 09:27 AM.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Pricing and autocross classing will matter a lot, but will this be my next car?

310HP, 350TQ

9.5" wide wheels all around

MagneRide
Wait, I thought it was 330 hp?

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-fou...ant-1834046260

It looks like a nice rig.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Wait, I thought it was 330 hp?

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-fou...ant-1834046260

It looks like a nice rig.
See what happens when you believe what you read on the internet? Ford is saying 330. Some outlets (like Jalopnik) are saying 310 (which is the 2019 EB number). Let's go with Ford.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I think it will be a solid option for you! I've about given up on autocross classing related to my car purchases, but I think this would be another incremental step up from the Camaro (assuming you're not tuning it, r-comps, and going to ESP/SM)?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
ff

Does this car go around corners, too?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I think it will be a solid option for you! I've about given up on autocross classing related to my car purchases, but I think this would be another incremental step up from the Camaro (assuming you're not tuning it, r-comps, and going to ESP/SM)?
This is a much bigger step up from base than the Camaro 2.0T 1LE. On paper the EB Mustang should have these advantages:
  • Gearing: I need to go verify math, but sounds like 63mph in 2nd compared to 60 or 62 depending on wheels for the Camaro
  • Shocks: 1LE shocks are slightly better than the base Camaro's which are barely adequate. Mustang's MagneRide should be very, very good
  • Wheel width: Mustang will get 9.5" wide wheels all around compared to 8.5F/9.5R
  • Use of camber bolts (I think)
  • Horsepower: 330 vs 275
  • Torque: 350 vs 295
  • 3.5" shorter wheelbase

Plus known real world daily life advantages like outward visibility, interior space, etc.

The one thing on paper that seems to count against it is 250ish extra pounds. Dropping weight is always the answer, but the extra wheel width, shocks and, power will probably more than offset the love handles.

I think the non-thinking autocross classing answer is to throw it in DS. Jury is still out on the 2019 version of DS, but it's looking pretty good for the RS (still don't think the Civic Type R is "the car", but can definitely hold its own). I think the Camaro can still be competitive in the right circumstances, but it's not the car for the class.

I'd expect this EB Mustang to crush the Camaro and probably be way out in front of the RS. For that reason, I can see the car getting classed in FS with the V6 1LE. And if the SAC is afraid of upsetting more apple carts, maybe even BS. It would be an amazing car for DS and probably pretty good in FS. I'd be more hesitant with it in BS, even if it could hang with the top BS cars, because a lightly used 1SS 1LE is probably very similar money and would already be a good bit pre-depreciated.

MSRP on the cheapest config EB Mustang PP/HP will probably be $35k. To have one in time for the start of next season, I'm guessing that will probably mean spending ~$30k (although a lease could be an option). Why would I spend $30k of a new one of these next fall/winter when I could buy a 2017 1SS 1LE for about the same?

Until recently, I'd been thinking two basic scenarios:

1: Keep Camaro and mod it for ESP or CAM, plus:
  • buy truck (to tow Camaro and use as a daily most of the time)
  • buy trailer

2: Sell Camaro and replace with 2017 1SS 1LE to use as daily and autocross car, plus:
  • buy Camaro tow hitch
  • buy tire trailer

I don't think either of these are bad options. One of them lets me finally scratch a 15+ year V8 itch I've had that I've kept telling myself I'll scratch with the next car purchase. The other lets me follow through on something that I think would be a ton of fun, very educational, and opens a multi-year window for the car where I shouldn't have to think much about classing for a long time.

The EB Mustang presents an alternative that speaks to me in an unexpected way at the moment.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
MSRP on the cheapest config EB Mustang PP/HP will probably be $35k. To have one in time for the start of next season, I'm guessing that will probably mean spending ~$30k (although a lease could be an option).
MSRP for an EB PP/HP Mustang will be $35,660.

Quote:
Why would I spend $30k of a new one of these next fall/winter when I could buy a 2017 1SS 1LE for about the same?
Still have that same question.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I don't know the answer for you, but I don't see any bad options of the ones you listed! There is too much instability in the "Street" autocross classes for me to buy a car specifically for one of those classes again because I keep cars for a long time.

The power and wheel size should make it quite good. I didn't re-read the link, but what is the weight? I'd think the biggest issue is that (I assume) you'd have a pretty big payment or amount to shell out for a pretty similar car to what you have now.

You could get a V8 truck and put an exhaust on it?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I don't know the answer for you, but I don't see any bad options of the ones you listed! There is too much instability in the "Street" autocross classes for me to buy a car specifically for one of those classes again because I keep cars for a long time.

The power and wheel size should make it quite good. I didn't re-read the link, but what is the weight? I'd think the biggest issue is that (I assume) you'd have a pretty big payment or amount to shell out for a pretty similar car to what you have now.

You could get a V8 truck and put an exhaust on it?
I'm guessing competition weight would be about 3450. There are no listed curb weights for the 2020 car. The 19s are listed at 3500-3600, so I'm extrapolating from there assuming some weight doesn't really exist and some can be lost from exhaust, wheels and half a tank of gas, which leaves me estimating 3450 competition weight compared to my Camaro's 3200.

I like to think of Street class classing being good for three years which matches when I'd normally want to change cars anyway. My problem with the Camaro was buying it two years too late in the cycle. OTOH, the plan at the time was to only run it for a year and sell it for close to what I paid if I wasn't going to run it a second year. I'd expect Carmax to give me within a couple hundred dollars of what I paid if I sold it to them today, so...mission accomplished?

Truck V8s don't count.

Current lease deals for EB Mustangs are not unthinkable. If that continues...maybe

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?