carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Did you not read a single ws-50 or ws-60 review? Did you listen to what we said about speed ratings?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #22
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Did you not read a single ws-50 or ws-60 review? Did you listen to what we said about speed ratings?
Did I say I wasn't expecting the change in ride? Jesus.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #23
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Um, so I haven't been around for a while, and lots of stuff's been going on. All good stuff. But before I even attempt to catch anyone up on that, I've got a question!

OK. Now that you got the snows taken care of, what's the good stuff?

Alex
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Did I say I wasn't expecting the change in ride? Jesus.
The buick-like comment is in many WS reviews. I get very passionate about winter tires. A fetish of some sorts.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #25
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
So, super-tall tread blocks plus super-soft compound = super-weird ride.
If you think they feel funky when it's cold just wait until we get a warm day.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #26
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
The buick-like comment is in many WS reviews. I get very passionate about winter tires. A fetish of some sorts.
I think that's partially why I chose the WS-60s. They typically get the better marks for ride quality when compared to others in their class. In fact, I briefly considered a set of Revos (nice clearance sale price at Tire Rack) but balked after reading up on them. Plus, I think they'd probably be a bit more than I need.

This is my first set of snow tires on any car. I don't drive it aggressively; that may by physically impossible in this thing. But it's funny how dry weather traction reminds me a little bit of slick-weather driving on all-seasons. It feels like the wheel can be cocked a few degrees while still going straight forward. Can't wait until the skies dump a few inches on us.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I think that's partially why I chose the WS-60s. They typically get the better marks for ride quality when compared to others in their class. In fact, I briefly considered a set of Revos (nice clearance sale price at Tire Rack) but balked after reading up on them. Plus, I think they'd probably be a bit more than I need.

This is my first set of snow tires on any car. I don't drive it aggressively; that may by physically impossible in this thing. But it's funny how dry weather traction reminds me a little bit of slick-weather driving on all-seasons. It feels like the wheel can be cocked a few degrees while still going straight forward. Can't wait until the skies dump a few inches on us.
In the DC-area, the Bridgestone LM22s or 25s, or the Pilot Alpin PA2s are a livable trade for winter driving.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

I will not get below H (and most likely V) rated tires. I think the super soft Q-rated are for 2wd people in the great white north.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
I will not get below H (and most likely V) rated tires. I think the super soft Q-rated are for 2wd people in the great white north.
I've got half of that formula, anyway. And on the handful of great white-like days down here, I can't be stuck at home. Maybe I should've bought a snowmobile that can hit 55 mph.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #30
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I have the ice bears. They are fine...

But in terms of wear, I mounted them on 11/19, and I just checked the rears and the tread was super low. I will measure the exact depth and report back.

I don't know exactly how many miles I've put on them, but I drive 10 miles each way to work, and haven't gone on that many long trips. Then again, I do drive with the throttle floored as often as possible... but still.
Rears are 4/32 in the center, 8/32 on the outer edges (measured with tread depth gauge). Fronts are 9/32 pretty even.

I've been driving aggressively on dry pavement, so I understand the rears would wear first, but I don't understand why the centers wore out so quickly. I'm running 34 PSI all around, and my rear alignment is zero toe, with nearly zero camber.

Is 34 PSI still too high? These things have soft sidewalls. If I go any lower, they'll fold over completely and I'll be riding around on the wheels.

Last edited by rumatt; 01-26-2008 at 12:48 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote