carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-27-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Saw a Carrera GT on the road today...

Yep... was stopped at a light, and a Porsche Carrera GT zoomed by. It was immediately recognizable as a Porsche... but it took me a few seconds to realize it was a Carrera GT -- its one of those cars you know you'll never see driven on the street. But it was.

But then again, I live in Scottsdale. Other sightings as we drove around today were a Lamborgini Gallardo, DeTomasso Pantera (mid-70s), and (literelly 30 seconds after the Carrera GT) an F430 Spider. I'm still getting used to the frequency after being back for 6 months (but when you think I'd start to get used to it when the current Mercedes SL is a dime a dozen (I literally see 10-20 a day).

Must be nice...
Old 02-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
JST

Re: Saw a Carrera GT on the road today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
Yep... was stopped at a light, and a Porsche Carrera GT zoomed by. It was immediately recognizable as a Porsche... but it took me a few seconds to realize it was a Carrera GT -- its one of those cars you know you'll never see driven on the street. But it was.

But then again, I live in Scottsdale. Other sightings as we drove around today were a Lamborgini Gallardo, DeTomasso Pantera (mid-70s), and (literelly 30 seconds after the Carrera GT) an F430 Spider. I'm still getting used to the frequency after being back for 6 months (but when you think I'd start to get used to it when the current Mercedes SL is a dime a dozen (I literally see 10-20 a day).

Must be nice...
I followed a 550 Maranello on the Beltway yesterday from MD to Tysons. Damn fine looking car in person--looks bigger and flatter than in pictures.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Re: Saw a Carrera GT on the road today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB

Must be nice...
I followed a 550 Maranello on the Beltway yesterday from MD to Tysons. Damn fine looking car in person--looks bigger and flatter than in pictures.
I've not seen many over-the-top expensive cars lately. Over the last year I've seen a Murcielago and a 550 Maranello. Besides those only a few 600-class MB's and an F355 or two. But I work in the boonies.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

I don't get out much, so I don't see much, but there have been a few interesting sighting in recent months.

A Red Smart for Two (six times since last July).

An E60 Touring about six weeks around the beginning of the year.

Presidenti's Limo five times since the beginning of the year.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
ff

I expected to see a lot more exotics down here in the Tampa area. Other than an occasional Maranello or Bentley Continental GT, I haven't really seen much. I'm sure that if I lived in the Miami area, my report would be a little different.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Mathew
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I expected to see a lot more exotics down here in the Tampa area.

Tampa just got its first Aston Martin dealership maybe a year and a half ago. I've only seen a handful of exotics on the streets. South Tampa is where they would be hiding.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I expected to see a lot more exotics down here in the Tampa area. Other than an occasional Maranello or Bentley Continental GT, I haven't really seen much. I'm sure that if I lived in the Miami area, my report would be a little different.
No fancy ballplayers' cars over at Legends Field?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
No fancy ballplayers' cars over at Legends Field?
hmm, I haven't driven past the field since spring training started.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Saw my second Bentley Continental GT this morning. Almost crashed trying to figure out what it was since I can never tell from the first glance.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
A Red Smart for Two (six times since last July).
I've seen a couple of forTwos over the last 6-8 months... One parked at an outlet mall north of Atlanta, with valid Germany tags on it.

Then one drove by my office a couple weeks ago. I didn't see the plates, but they are sold in Mexico, so may explain seeing one in Phoenix...