carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #311
JST

Re: XM/aux input--thanks to Porsche's decision not to include a $2 aux input jack, adding either satellite radio or an aux in jack (or both) is a giant PITA. Well, not so much a PITA as just blindingly expensive. The options appear to be:

1. Factory XM tuner from a Cayenne. Plug and play, OEM integration, but the receiver is $780 and requires coding at a Por$che dealer.

2. Factory aux in jack/iPod port. This is a hardwired FM modulated solution; it provides power to the iPod but does not provide headunit control. It fits nicely into the interior, but for what it is $345 is way too much coin.

3. Dension Gateway. This plugs into the factory MOST harness, and costs $480, but it looks like it gives you headunit control over the iPod plus an aux in jack for a satellite receiver. And a few hundred bucks more and you get BT functionality.

4. iPlug RDS. A hardwire FM modulator that includes an RDS function for iPod track/artist information. A much better value than the OEM unit (2) above, but still spendy at $200 for what's essentially a $40 FM modulator.

5. Other, less expensive wired FM modulators. These are widely available for less than $50, but antenna compatibility/adapter kits look like they may be an issue.

6. Humming quietly to yourself. Free. This is probably the best option.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #312
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Re: XM/aux input--thanks to Porsche's decision not to include a $2 aux input jack, adding either satellite radio or an aux in jack (or both) is a giant PITA. Well, not so much a PITA as just blindingly expensive. The options appear to be:

1. Factory XM tuner from a Cayenne. Plug and play, OEM integration, but the receiver is $780 and requires coding at a Por$che dealer.

2. Factory aux in jack/iPod port. This is a hardwired FM modulated solution; it provides power to the iPod but does not provide headunit control. It fits nicely into the interior, but for what it is $345 is way too much coin.

3. Dension Gateway. This plugs into the factory MOST harness, and costs $480, but it looks like it gives you headunit control over the iPod plus an aux in jack for a satellite receiver. And a few hundred bucks more and you get BT functionality.

4. iPlug RDS. A hardwire FM modulator that includes an RDS function for iPod track/artist information. A much better value than the OEM unit (2) above, but still spendy at $200 for what's essentially a $40 FM modulator.

5. Other, less expensive wired FM modulators. These are widely available for less than $50, but antenna compatibility/adapter kits look like they may be an issue.

6. Humming quietly to yourself. Free. This is probably the best option.
Pretty much what I found. My car has the 6CD changer. I plan on creating a bunch of mixed CD's and letting them live permanently on the changer. I still have the head unit player for specific music.

Fotunately, the exhaust is awesome enough that it can be entertaining on it's own.

The entire radio/stereo/ipod integration/audio controls thing is by far the most annoying thing about this car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #313
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I thought through a bunch of these options when I first got it. Now I've stopped worrying about it. Lucky for me, the FM NPR stations in the NYC area really improved since 2006 so most of the time, there is something good on anyway... Still, the interface is so piss poor that if you really want to update it, you should just throw out the whole HU. Serious delays, and I've even had some buggy moments with CD's.

I can barely hear any music on my Bose if I drive the car properly...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #314
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
congrats too, looks very clean in the pics.

I also came to the same conclusion about 911 and kids
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #315
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I thought through a bunch of these options when I first got it. Now I've stopped worrying about it. Lucky for me, the FM NPR stations in the NYC area really improved since 2006 so most of the time, there is something good on anyway... Still, the interface is so piss poor that if you really want to update it, you should just throw out the whole HU. Serious delays, and I've even had some buggy moments with CD's.

I can barely hear any music on my Bose if I drive the car properly...
The other thing that's really annoying about the HU is the radio knobs, which are weirdly sticky--like, tacky feeling to the touch. It's kind of unpleasant. Every car I drove had this problem to a greater or lesser degree; it seems to get worse with age. Those on my car aren't so bad, but it is still there. Either of you guys noticed this?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #316
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
The other thing that's really annoying about the HU is the radio knobs, which are weirdly sticky--like, tacky feeling to the touch. It's kind of unpleasant. Every car I drove had this problem to a greater or lesser degree; it seems to get worse with age. Those on my car aren't so bad, but it is still there. Either of you guys noticed this?
Could you replace just the knobs? They might be $5-10 parts, but it might be worth putting new ones in...

Speaking of your audio source options, I went through something similar on my E39:
- I put in an XM Direct kit shortly after getting it (~$150 at the time and much less than the official Sirius BMW box),
- About 6 months later I put in a Dension ICE Link+ for iPod connectivity (~$250 since I had to get an analog to digital converter for my car).
- About the same time I put in the Dension, I also bought a used Bluetooth box off of eBay and bought a new BT install kit from the dealer -- total of ~$375).

Total cost wasn't cheap -- nearly $800. But it all worked very well for the 3.5 years I had the car...

Sounds like the Dension Gateway would give you the most flexibility, and be less than what I did (even with bluetooth...).
Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #317
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I have not noticed that, but I'll check tonight. Perhaps it's an '07+ improvement? I doubt it.

Are you sure they are not just dirty/contaminated?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #318
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Could you replace just the knobs? They might be $5-10 parts, but it might be worth putting new ones in...

I needed a good joke.

.................................................. ..

I replaced a window regulator on the Jeep recently. In the process of removing the door panel, I broke off 5 of the 11 clips. They looked like the one on the far left.

I went to the dealership to buy replacements. I figured they cost a fraction of a penny to make, surely they will make me bend over for it and charge something absurd like $4.99 or $7.99 for a pack of 10.

$3.47 ...EACH! + tax.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #319
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

I needed a good joke.
I debated putting that amount in... and I based it on my own experience of buying E39 trim parts -- like a dash vent grille -- triangular and about 2-3 inches on each side was ~$8 or $9...
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #320
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I debated putting that amount in... and I based it on my own experience of buying E39 trim parts -- like a dash vent grille -- triangular and about 2-3 inches on each side was ~$8 or $9...
Hey, I'd love to be totally wrong.