carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #111
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Unless they just had a burst of stupid when they tested the Atom (video), I'd take their comments with a grain (or bushel) of salt. The C&D test driver had comments like "the thing just does not want to point in a straight line as you can ...whoop... see".

This has been quite a topic of discussion (as you can imagine) over in the Atom forums. Either the car was set up very badly or the driver wasn't used to a car without power anything and no electronic nannies.
I don't put much stock in hot lap comparo's - even if one driver is testing all the cars, it takes time to get to know a particular car, all it shows us is how much more "easily" one car may be to drive faster than another.

It's also possible (and entirely probable) that different examples of the same car will provide different results. Perhaps even a swap of tires could make the difference?

Today's production cars handle pretty well, unless a car has a glaring (and unsafe) characteristic all of these cars far exceed the capabilities of most drivers.

It makes for good fanboi stuff, however - "my car laps the ring one tenth of one second faster than yours..." The marketing people must love it.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #112
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think it's a pretty decent comparison from the standpoint that these guys aren't racecar drivers and 99.8% of their readers aren't either. So they're going to have problems with twitchy cars. But no, it's not gospel.

That KTM X-Bow is an interesting beast. I hadn't seen that before.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #113
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I don't put much stock in hot lap comparo's - even if one driver is testing all the cars, it takes time to get to know a particular car, all it shows us is how much more "easily" one car may be to drive faster than another.
Definitely. In one of the Top Gear episodes this season, Clarkson comments about 2 cars that posted very similar lap times, saying that while any of them could probably get a similar time out of one, it takes someone like the Stig to do it in the other one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think it's a pretty decent comparison from the standpoint that these guys aren't racecar drivers and 99.8% of their readers aren't either. So they're going to have problems with twitchy cars. But no, it's not gospel.
True. But I don't find the Atom twitchy at all. Which is kind of odd, given that I was told things like "the first time you know you've lost it is when the rear end passes you going the other way". The factory settings aren't for everyone, though - as witness the new owner who spun his in the front straight.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #114
John V
No more BMWs

GRM tested a Brammo Atom a while back and found that the handling, as delivered from the factory, was pretty miserable. The owner of the car (track-rat kind of guy) basically conceded the point and said that while all the parts are there to make a great handling car, it takes a lot of tweaking to make them all work together properly.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #115
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
GRM tested a Brammo Atom a while back and found that the handling, as delivered from the factory, was pretty miserable. The owner of the car (track-rat kind of guy) basically conceded the point and said that while all the parts are there to make a great handling car, it takes a lot of tweaking to make them all work together properly.
With the large selection of options that are normally fixed configs on other cars (3 different shock types; 3 different spring ratios with or w/o helper springs; 2 different ratio bellcranks; 5 brake packages) there was a lot to learn about setting up the various combinations.

The stuck Brammo setup was 1mm to 1.5mm toe out on each side, front and rear. That makes for some funky handling if you're not expecting it.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #116
John V
No more BMWs

Right, that's my point. You never know what configuration this particular car was in when it was handed to them for testing.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #117
TD
Founder emeritus

So much for that idea.

The '04 is sold.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #118
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I jumped on Sarafil's tip about the silver '07 987S and drove to Providence with a pregnant wife the next day. I had been sold the day before in a matter of hours (to a guy from OH). That night, I searched, found my 987S (in MI) and made an offer 1st thing on Monday.

Sometimes, cars are priced to move and you just have to go for it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #119
TD
Founder emeritus

I kind of assumed that, in a frigid January, the car might be around until Saturday.

Working an hour in the wrong direction from this dealership ruled out making it there any evening this week even if I might have thought it necessary.

According to the salesman, there is a chance the sale might fall through and he'll give me a call. I'm assuming it will be gone.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #120
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I kind of assumed that, in a frigid January, the car might be around until Saturday.

Working an hour in the wrong direction from this dealership ruled out making it there any evening this week even if I might have thought it necessary.

According to the salesman, there is a chance the sale might fall through and he'll give me a call. I'm assuming it will be gone.
I don't blame you for assuming it may hang around. Tough break.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote